Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NB2 door card to NB1 Retrofit

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lifebyevan's Avatar
    Drives
    Mahogony Mica '00 Special Edition NB1
    Thanks Given
    Wow I didn't realize this was such an involved process. I thought the door cards would be a very easy swap and everything would line up. I was thinking about doing this for my NB1 and switch to NB2 door cards just for the aesthetics (Mainly the perforated patch by the door handle) but this is definitely making my rethink that. I might just clean up my NB1 door cards and call it a day.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I can tell you a few things about this swap. I have been negligent of going back to take pictures of this.

To me, swapping out the latch mechanisms to NB2 probably made this swap easier. They bolted right in and the units I attained still had the plastic cable captures that I was able to use on existing holes in my NB1 door. I couldn't imagine the fiddling of the NB1 door actuating rods would need to make this work. Apparently using the NB2 cable latching mechanisms are a popular upgrade for Miata racecars when the doors are gutted. It makes sense because the cables are easier to manipulate and place than the NB1 rods.

NB1 latching mech (without interior pull)
    5UyuKGU.jpg
    NB2 door latching mech
    oxyCzHe.jpg
    Approximating where the inner latch needs to attach
    h9xOlHS.jpg
    NB2 latching mech installed in NB1 door
    lpYC6kG.jpg
    NB2 interior pull
    Vb1EFsX.jpg

I needed to test fit the NB2 cards a few times to mark the new mounting locations for the interior latch handle and the door card. For the latch handle, it was a number if little cuts and trimming with a dremel and cutting wheel. This is probably the most fiddly part because of the existing holes in the door and being careful not to cut away too much material.

Marking and trimming inner door skin to mount NB2 inner pull
    FblMyAo.jpg
    NB2 inner pull mounted on my NB1 door
    YCIKSUD.jpg

Marking the new locations for the door card screws is actually pretty easy. I hung the nb2 card on my door, put a sharpie pen through the nb2 door card screw holes to mark where they hit the inner door, removed the card. I made pilot holes, then slightly larger holes, reinstalled the door cards, tested that the screws landed in these new holes. I then took the cards back off, cut tiny 1/4" holes centered at these new holes with a dremel. These square holes allowed me to move and reuse the plastic anchors the NB1 door cards screwed into. With out these, it would be likely the screws could easily pull out of the thin sheet metal of the inner door skin.

Marking new door card attachment screw locations (difficult to see)
    BZ6a4VV.jpg

The new inner latch handle doesn't sit flush to the NB2 door cards. This is pretty well-mentioned in other stories of this swap. The inner door skins of the NB1 do not have the recess stamped into them. I though about a hammer and dolly, but was able to used shims (washers) to make them acceptable. I also trimmed the back of the plastic door cup to help with this.

Shaving off the plastic on the back of the cup, first attempt
    nVD9QuV.jpg

The lowest pushpin on the driver's door, on the tailing edge when the door is open, doesn't match to the anchor on the door. I just made a simple L bracket and attached it to the inner skin, drilled a matching hole.

If you have long legs, you may find the NB2 cards a little unusual at first because the door pull/armrest extends farther forward, especially if you tend to rest your left foot (LHD car) on the floor, knee bent. Also, swapping to NB2 door mechanisms disables the auto-locking feature (iow, when you lock the driver door, the passenger door also locks). The wiring is similar, but I haven't gone in to correct it. I have looked at the NB1 and NB2 door lock schematics and see the differences, I *might* have a fix for that to work with the NB2 door lock thumb switch on the armrest, but it hasn't been a huge priority for me.

The NB2 mech physically plus into the wire harness, but is missing a wire, This may need a spice to connect to the thumb switch of the NB2 card.
    bpfjCuy.jpg

So, basically, if you want to swap the NB2 cards to an NB1, figure on 2-4 hours per side, depending on your skill and level of detail. I like the look, it completes the interior I did. I also considered doing custom NB1 door cards instead.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (05-27-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

lifebyevan (09-20-2020),tsingson (05-27-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    They look great! I love your interior.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-27-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Admire your patience, but at that point I would most probably look into swapping complete NB2 doors

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (05-28-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Admire your patience, but at that point I would most probably look into swapping complete NB2 doors
    If the colors were the same, for sure. Chaste White is an NA8/NB1 color.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I think I have a twin brother

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12