Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about 2007 MX5

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given

Questions about 2007 MX5

I will be picking up a 2007 MX5 from my brother in Oregon and driving back to Illinois. The car only has 22000 miles on it, so obviously hasn't been driven much. I will check all the fluids, tires etc. But do any of you have any advice that would be particular to this model year that I should check since it is 11 years old. I don't want to have any issues on the 2000 mile road trip back.

Looking forward to getting back to a Roadster again. Had a 72 MGB and then a Saturn Sky but had to sell due to circumstances so it will fun to have the wind blowing my "remaining" hair again.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    Can you delay the trip until the 2nd week of April to keep the car out of the salt?
    I would change the oil and anti-freeze. The rear end and transmission fluid should be OK, but if you have some time and cash maybe do that.

Have fun and post pictures of your trip.

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    Not picking up till April 21st. I will have my brother take it and get the fluids checked and possibly changed. I've seen on some posts about the coolant tank breaking would it be wise to change that also?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MiataQuest's Avatar
    Drives
    faster now with the Ecotec 2.4 (1992 white NA)
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 443 Posts
    At 22,000 miles it should be fine.
    A set of spark plugs would make it run more crisp and not be too expensive.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Dealing with a known car and seller takes away the tricky questions. ;)

If you can swing it, ask your brother to take the car in for a checkup, explaining the car is about to travel 2k miles. It should be pretty routine stuff, but at that mileage it should be pretty healthy (unless he tracks the car often or something). Good luck with your trip!

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    I know he doesn't track, just used the car for fun runs to the beach etc. I will definitely take some pics on the trip. My brother is having a 1969 Datsun 1500 rebuild ground up and will pick it up sometime in Aug. He has a MG TC already and doesn't want a third roadster. I think he has more money than brains sometimes, but I appreciate him giving the chance to own a roadster again. I enjoyed my MG and Sky but had to give them up due to other circumstances. I've always love roadster and I'm sure this will give me many miles of smiles.

I will have him take it into his shop and have it checked out.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    There are a few known issues with the NC1, like engine and gearbox. Those seemingly affected earlier cars (06-07). By '09, Mazda made a lot of corrections that makes '09+ a bit more desirable to own. Our forum sponsors, like Goodwin Racing, have some fairly extensive upgrades and data about your car.

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    I will probably get a new set of tires when I pick up the Miata in Portland. Just curious what do the members recommend? I won't be doing any racing drifting etc. Will just be going some cruises with the local club and of course I'll put about 2100 miles after they are installed getting back. So what do everybody think.?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Which version is it? 16" or 17" wheels? What is your budget? Do you prefer all-season or summer tires?

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    I talk to him tonight and he was pretty sure it was a Sport. He only had the car 10 years and was not sure??!! Which means 16" tires. As far as a budget I have a wife so I have a budget!!!!! I prefer all season because I will be driving the car all year alternating with my Honda HRV. I looked some options and I'm liked the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 205/50R16 87V . $128 on the Tire Rack Site. The reviews are good and I've had Michelins before. I'm not a racer but I do like to drive the twists which are few and far between in this area.

Even if he has a touring miata that means 17" and I would still go with the Michelin Pilot just the 17" Price is about $15 more.

What ya think?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I had 16" Pilot Sport AS3 (205/50-16) on my '88 325IS and I loved them on that car as my daily driver. I tracked them once. ;) (they overheated after about 3-4 laps). That car weighed about as much as an NC, and balanced like one, so they were surprisingly exceptional for an A/S when I threw it around on back roads in North Carolina.

If you want something quieter than those, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 were on the BMW too. They have a softer sidewall, so they absorb irregularities in the road a bit better, but the cornering wasn't as crisp. The Contis were really terrific in the rain. Both of those tires were, actually. Both of those are also offered in the 205/45-17 sizes.

The third option I might recommend is the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S. BFG is under the Michelin umbrella of products. The tread design of this tire *might* be a bit louder.

I ran similar 17" sizing on my wife's Lexus with the Hankook S1 Noble 2. It was "ok", but before they got to the wear bars, they became noticeably louder (as tires do), and I went back to another Michelin.

You should ask your brother if the car has TMPS (electronic tire pressure monitors), those often need to be replaced with new tires, which would increase the expense. A lot of tires go on sale in March and April, so consider that as well.

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    It's A Grand Touring Miata. So I have to go 17" He says the tires he has are not that old, he upgraded but not sure when. I will check them out when I get there. I ask him to check the date on the tires so I see. But if they are any older that 4 years I'm going to replace them. Again he's not a big mechanic type so I will have to check out if the TMPS need to be replaced. Thanks fro the advice.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

Questions about 2007 MX5

I would like to suggest you get the VIN from your brother. With the VIN, call Mazda’s customer service ( tel:8002225500 from what I found online, M-F, 5:00am - 6:00pm PST
    Sat., 7:00am - 3:00pm PST ), they can tell you the version, options, and packages the car has. They are usually very accommodating. Have something to write with so you can record what they tell you, look up more details about them further.

You are actually sort of lucky. There are more options in 17” sizes than 16”, so even though they cost a *little* more, it is a more popular size.

Drives
    2007 Silver
    Thanks Given
    Sorry another question. What is the typical cost to replace the TPMS valves? I've seen ranges from $10.00 per tire up to $60.00. The other issue I have is since I'm not going to be able to tell if the tires need to be replaced till I get there some of the shops in Portland say 3 to 5 days to get Michelins in. I've searched a bunch of Tire shops in the area and Discount Tires had them in stock. Guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get out there.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    OK, TPMS costs are, from what I've seen while waiting around a tire shop, are based on the type of sensors your car uses. I have no experience with them.

A few things about Portland to know, I researched moving there a couple of years ago. A good friend of mine says it's location makes it sort of a 'black hole' for getting things shipped there. That skews the values of certain items and cars.

There is a couple of ways you can play this:

1- Drive the car as is. The mileage you have posted on the car is very low. The only concern I have is for the age of the current tires, if they are original. Replace them when you get home.

2 - Buy the tires you want and have them shipped to your brother's house, if he has room, or perhaps a a day or two before you arrive. Because you mentioned it, discounttiredirect.com is one way to go. TPMS sensors are *probably* something a Discount/America's Tire would have on hand, BUT you can call about a week in advance to see if the store near your brother has them, make an appointment for mounting/balancing, etc.

3 - Buy new wheels/tires/sensors, have them mounted and shipped to your brother, install when you arrive, let him sell off the old set on CL or ship them back to your home in IL (this is the most expensive option).

4 - Talk to a sales representative with discounttiredirect and explain what you doing so they can help set you up with everything you need to get the tires mounted, because I am adssuming you don't have 3-5 days to wait when you get there?

I have bought tires through discouttiredirect a number of times and had them mounted/balanced at the store nearest me. I work odd hours/travel, so often times the tires and sizing I want are not available locally, need to wait 2-5 days or so for them. So, I order them online, wait until I can carve out time to get them installed, take them to the store and do that. It's never been a big deal, and the pricing of DT Direct is usually a lot lower than through their stores anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast