Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The truth about Rota wheels

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts

Wink The truth about Rota wheels

Yes I have my flame retardant suit on! In all seriousness the subject of 'knock off' wheels is a common subject on car forums. Said subject was recently brought up on another forum when someone asked about Rota wheels and why people told him to get 'real wheels'. Of course one of the very first responses was typical and went something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxx View Post
    Simply put, Rota is the Chinese knock off brand of the wheel world. They copy good quality, expensive wheels, and make them heavy, weak, and cheap.

The reason they're popular and well known is the same reason Raceland products are: they're cheap.

Kids who work at McDonald's and live with their parents can afford to buy them and put them on the car mom and dad bought them.

So they do, and they have no idea how bad they are, so they write on their forum how "great" they are. Soon, there are a ton of "resources" available online that say that Rota wheels or Raceland performance products are "just fine, don't let the naysayers get you down".

Simply put, they're Cheap Chinese Junk that was made to be sold to "Rinky Racers", "Ricers", and "Stance Bros". (to use the terms from my father's generation, my generation, and the current generation, respectively).

They just got big and famous because "broke high schooler wanting a cool car" is a huge market.

Now that we have a typical response lacking any facts I think it is time for actual facts and less opinion/'internet gossip'.

Here are some actual facts:
    https://www.autoindustriya.com/featu...-are-made.html

http://custompinoyrides.com/2012/03/...f-rota-wheels/

Here is probably one of the most important facts from the above article:
    "Fact 2: ROTA Wheels meet all JWL and VIA standards. Because they’re supposed to!

Would you be surprised if I told you that ROTA is probably the one who manufactured the OEM wheels for that car sitting in your garage? Yes, the ROTA plant is one of the biggest manufacturers of OEM wheels for various brands like Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mazda.

Who else is in this type of business, you might ask? Well, in terms of large-scale OEM wheel manufacturing, ROTA’s biggest competitor is Enkei.

So before we*proceed*any further, let’s*define both JWL and VIA:

“JWL” (Japan Light Wheel Alloy) is a compilation of standards defined by the Japanese Government to ensure the vehicle’s safety for aluminum road wheels. Every wheel put to market must be tested to meet JWL standards before a wheel can be put out to market in Japan.

These standards are generally accepted worldwide as acceptable for most road conditions. That is why you will see these marks on European and other Asian country wheels.

“VIA” (Vehicle Inspection Association Registration System). VIA marking can only be engraved on the wheel if registered by Japan Light Alloy Automotive Wheel Testing Council after strict quality tests by the authorized testing facility on the adaptability of JWL or JWL-T (Japan Light*Alloy Wheel*Truck & Bus) technical standard.

While other brands advertise that they have their own “additional” test standards that they say are higher than that of JWL and VIA (e.g. JWL+R for Rays Engineering, Spec-E for Enkei), ROTA Wheels also does their own additional tests like Rays and Enkei, although they just don’t advertise it (maybe they should). Why do you think the OEMs trust ROTA to manufacture their OEM wheels? To stay competitive in the OEM Wheel Manufacturing business, they must show the OEMs that ROTA’s standards are better than others, and even better than what has been set by JWL and VIA.

To sum it all up, the JWL and VIA standards have been set and are accepted worldwide for*aluminum road wheels*for*most road conditions. Putting these wheels, or any other wheels for that matter (meeting JWL and VIA standards), under anything outside of most road conditions, will test the limits of the wheels.

But hey, isn’t it the same with any other part of your car that you put to the test in rigorous motorsports conditions? Remember, a chain is no stronger than its weakest link. So I urge you to go and ask the motorsports teams who use ROTA wheels what is usually the first part of their cars that fail. With the big fat budgets of motorsports teams, would you think they would be using ROTA wheels if it were their weakest link?"

If you don't like reading....
    https://youtu.be/FnjwtO5nTPA

How Rota wheels are tested:
    https://youtu.be/s4O0iBAGffY

How Rays Engineering wheels are tested:
    https://youtu.be/PNbHWHVax7c

Hope the information helps! Undoubtedly some will spew acid in my face for not accepting internet conjecture but forums are supposed to be about education/facts and not just opinion.

Are there better wheels in terms of durability, absolutely as these are cast wheels and not forged or similar but said forged or similar wheels will cost x2-x3 more typically so as the consumer it is up to you to consider ALL THE FACTS and then make an educated decision....or just keep drinking the koolaid.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 04-24-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

94R (04-23-2018),dweikum (04-23-2018),Hammerhead (04-23-2018),HarryB (04-23-2018),MX5Wisher (04-23-2018),Paul B (04-22-2018),vaho (04-22-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Informative write-up.

However. Wheel "enthusiasts" don't like Rota and companies like them because of the obvious design copies, not because the wheels might be structurally inferior. That's what I think when I hear knock-off wheels at least.

Think about it with this example. Rays spent time, money, and lots of effort to create a great design with the TE37/V. They sell them for what they are worth. Rota copies this design and sells the Grid/V for a fraction of the price. Even the naming convention is similar. Do you think this is fair to Rays? I don't think so.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

flooglemop (04-26-2018),freedomgli (04-24-2018),JamieH (04-23-2018),MX5Wisher (04-23-2018),Paul B (04-22-2018),Slampen (04-22-2018),vaho (04-23-2018)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    @Roadster7: I hear you but how many truly original ideas/designs exist anymore when it comes to wheels? Most are based/inspired by another.

I think the subject is blurred by personal opinions by most, including myself. I have a problem with companies that intentionally copy a design then produce a product without any quality control and then intentionally try to pass them off as the original.

Did RS Watanabe originate the 'banana spoke' wheel? No but they executed it better than anyone else, at least in my opinion.

I truly believe that anyone that truly wants 'the best' will save and buy such and companies that offer a cheaper option is not losing any amount of real business as most individuals that bought the cheaper alternative puts spending as little as possible first before anything else.

Very few take in all the facts when considering a purchase, I do or at least try. I bought 15x8 Konig Flatout's vs Volk CE28 because they were lighter (iirc), well built and more than half the price of Volk's, thus a better value imo but this time chose to buy Enkei RPF1's vs Konig Wideopen's because the Enkei RPF1's were the better value, imo.

I'm still considering a set of 'banana spoke' wheels and RS Watanabe's and Rota RB are the likely candidates. Again it won't come down to just $$$ but overall value, which is determined by the consumer ultimately.

This thread is by no means meant to promote Rota wheels but to debunk much of the inaccurate information about the subject. There is no denying the superior quality of such wheels as Rays, Enkei, Watanabe, SSR, BBS, etc. but there are so many consumers with different needs/wants/budgets that a wheel company shouldn't be judged solely on misinformation.

My intention is to share actual facts with the community without any bias affecting the message.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 04-22-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Paul B (04-22-2018)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I stopped at the "Chinese knock off." Rota is actually a Philippine based company. But for me, whatever anyone wants to put on their car is fine. I know/knew many people that ran them and them hard and had no issues. I also read stories on the internet that would give me nightmares. If you can shell out the money for expensive brand wheels, by all means. Its no different than shoe companies, jeans, you name it. How many coilover companies are out there? How about fender flares? Seats? Just worry about your own cars and build it the way you want. You don't like the cheap wheels? Don't buy them. And for those who sit there and say it takes money away from the "real" manufacturers, how is it any different than the internet stores and big box stores that close our local stuff? Never thought I would see the day where there are no Radio Shacks and Toys R Us around. Money is going to go where it goes. You just have to change with the times, right?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-22-2018),HarryB (04-23-2018),Paul B (04-22-2018)

Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    And for those who sit there and say it takes money away from the "real" manufacturers, how is it any different than the internet stores and big box stores that close our local stuf?
    That's definitely not the same situation, this isn't about resellers vs manufacturers.

I agree that you should buy whatever you want to buy, and run whatever wheels you want. Not everyone has to buy expensive wheels. When it comes to blatant copies of a product though, purchasing from those companies only supports this trend. You can apply this to whatever product you want, the takeaway is the same. I think plenty of people would be up in arms if some company started making 6UL lookalikes and selling them for half of 949's price.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadster7 For This Useful Post:

flooglemop (04-26-2018),MiataQuest (04-22-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    ...... I think plenty of people would be up in arms if some company started making 6UL lookalikes and selling them for half of 949's price.

But someone already does, I have seen them overseas already, and yes the owner is aware of them as well .......

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    This is a contentious issue for sure. I think the distinction really is whether identical products are being passed off as original which would of course mean counterfeit and that has legal implications. If a product is wildly successful, the originator would have to be wildly naïve to believe that it won't be copied next week.

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    But someone already does, I have seen them overseas already, and yes the owner is aware of them as well .......
    Nice.

Again - buy what you want to buy. +0 is classic and never goes out of style...

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I agree with AO. Rota hasn't called the Grids TEs. They sell it as their own. I would agree if they were trying to sell them as authentic TEs.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Ive owned knockoff work equips. (Drag Dr-something) Its what I could afford at the time. But Even now exactly 10yrs later I dont think I could pony up the cash for real Work Equips. Maybe if i was swimming in money.

Build the car you want however you can as long as it doesnt sacrifice your safety.

Im sure we've all seen the photos of Wheel failures in extreme cases from every popular brand, knockoff or not.

Recently bought new wheels. Almost went with knockoff Wats made by Rota. What steered me away was weight. I didnt want such a heavy wheel. If the Rota or Atara design i was looking at were a few lbs lighter I would have those in my hands now.

Had a laugh when I opened my brand new 6ULs to have it say "made in china". I just want nice wheels for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul B For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-22-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (04-22-2018),tsingson (04-23-2018)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Unless stuff is actually proven dangerous, always invest in your house or retirement plan. Nobody else is going to.

No todo que es oro brilla.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (04-23-2018),Paul B (04-22-2018),tsingson (04-23-2018)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    That's definitely not the same situation, this isn't about resellers vs manufacturers.
    So how do you feel about generic medication? Should I really be spending $700/month on the researched and branded medication
    , versus a $5 copay for the generics?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Unless stuff is actually proven dangerous, always invest in your house or retirement plan. Nobody else is going to.
    This. Cars and car parts are nothing but a depreciating money pit, if you let them be. Look at all the modded cars that have "OMG OVER 30k INVESTED" only to be sold for 15K or less.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-23-2018),Paul B (04-23-2018),tsingson (04-23-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Airbrush1 (04-23-2018),flooglemop (04-26-2018),Greasemonkey2000 (04-23-2018),Professor Dwight (04-24-2018)

Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    So how do you feel about generic medication? Should I really be spending $700/month on the researched and branded medication
    , versus a $5 copay for the generics?
    Again not the same thing, but I don't know why this is being taken so seriously by you guys. Like I said, buy whatever you want to buy, what do I care lol. My view is valid and so too are the other views that were brought up by others. There isn't a wrong opinion here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast