Thread: Frog arm install. A question or 3

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts

Frog arm install. A question or 3

OK, since the plans have changed for the 23422 time, I'm most likely driving this Miata until it's a "Classic". Time to make it my own!

I've had these Boss Frog Frog Arms for a few years now. They look lovely hanging up on my garage wall! I think it's time to toughen up and get them installed. I've been hesitant because modifying a car when I know it's going to be sold just felt weird, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm afraid to remove the large Tupperware skirts.

I know where popular opinion lies with the skirts, but I'm not popular, and I'm old enough to not care about what others' opinions are on the aesthetics of my car. That said, I have not found much information regarding the removal. I know there are holes in the rear QP that hold a snap bolt. I'm sure there's a far share of double-side tape or weather strip goo to remove. I know the skirts are mounted on a metal rail that they clip onto. And that's about it.

So what I want to know before I get started is...

Is removal as simple as unbolt the bottom, yank the snap bolt from the body hole, then carefully peel it off?

What should I use for re-install? Double-stick foam tape? "Window goo"? Obviously, I want to make sure it's sealed enough to not cause issues (rust, road debris buildup)

Anything else I should do with the front fenders removed? I'm thinking that it's a good time to install side winkers, and refinish or replace the hazy, ugly headlights. This is a project I do not want to re-do.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Frog arm install. A question or 3

Tony, I have found the Tupperware is installed one of two ways; as you describe with the metal strip (my 10ae was like this), or solely with 3m automotive double-sided tape. Not sure why the discrepancy, probably a POE or dealer thing.

I suggest sliding a plastic spackling knife down there first to get a feel for what you are dealing with. The tape will fight you a bit but it shouldn’t damage the paint.

The side skirts come off pretty clean, just don’t let them bend or flex a lot, damaging the paint. IIRC, the strip was the place holder, the tape on the strip held the Tupperware. I can’t remember, but I don’t recall it being that difficult.

While you have them off, maybe remove the metal strip the Tupperware connects to (if present), inspect, clean, and rustproof the holes drilled into the rockers, and that strip itself, maybe switch to stainless screws.

Removing the tape is easier with a heat gun, a plastic sparkle knife and some acetone on clean rags. It just takes some time, so raising the car up makes it easier.

The 3m tape is fairly easy to get at most auto parts stores or maybe Walmart.

Otherwise, clean out the areas behind the fenders, a lot of debris collects there, also clean the drip paths from the ends of the cowl.

If you need to adjust your doors, that would be the time to do so, or if you wanted to run upgraded speaker wires through the flexible grommet between the leading edge of the door and the cabin.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (06-23-2018),RotorNutFD3S (06-25-2018)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Awesome stuff, thanks

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    I wish I’d stitch welded the front fender whilst I was there to get it done - gonna have to go back and remove the arms, weld, and re-fit

Just a thought
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (06-24-2018)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    If I were planning on getting back into autox I'd consider it. The expense and effort seem to great for a commuter/cruiser car

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SigmaX's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Miata, 2013 BMW 135is
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    If I were planning on getting back into autox I'd consider it. The expense and effort seem to great for a commuter/cruiser car
    If you were with SCCA, or one of the clubs that uses SCCA rules, that'd instantly put you in a ridiculous classing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SigmaX For This Useful Post:

DarylSibcy (06-25-2018)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SigmaX View Post
    If you were with SCCA, or one of the clubs that uses SCCA rules, that'd instantly put you in a ridiculous classing.
    +1. It depends whether you'd be racing in classed heats, as in, AutoX, Hillclimbs, etc. If it's just to hammer the car around a track for fun, you'd be fine.

I couldn't see myself doing anything other than throwing my miata round a track.
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (06-25-2018)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    I'm possibly jealous

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    This was a lot less Intimidating than I thought. I did have to trim a seam to get the right fit but only removed a mm or 3 of metal. It's amazing what 14 years of uncleaned paint and repair debris lol like

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-23-2018),kung fu jesus (08-23-2018)