Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chris' R34 GTT Series 2

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Awhile back when the bumper got repaired due to a paint defect, I wanted to cut the bumper and open it up but the bodyshop wanted too much money (I thought they were painting the whole bumper under warranty, but they werent) So i decided to go ahead with it now. The bottom piece isn't completely flat, to do that it'd need spraying so it'll do for now. While the bumper was off it was a good opportunity to get the bumper to fit better, luckily the piece I cut out was what was causing the issue.

Purchased an intercooler stencil from eBay, looks pretty good IMO

We sell bumper mesh/grille at work, although its slightly smaller than the OEM mesh, its not far off

I also ordered a smaller number plate which looks sooo much better

I've been eyeing up the Nismo B pillar garnish for awhile, but couldn't bring myself to spending £150+ on some stick on carbon. It wouldnt be too bad if it was a whole replacement piece, its worth the money then. Again, my work came in handy as we sell 3D carbon wrap so gave vinyl wrapping a go. A friend cut the logos for me, fake it till you make it lol

I've also seen some GTTs with a spoiler garnish, it can be seen in the Nismo parts catalog too. I've only seen 1 set of brand new ones on Yahoo Auctions and they sold for £450 + shipping + import duty (thats approx $525) which is ALOT for some gel covers.

So the carbon vinyl wrap came out again and I made a template of the spoiler ends and transfered that to the vinyl. Its not perfect but can always be re-done at a later date

I ordered some Nismo clear indicators from RHDJapan, first time using them and it certainly wont be the last. They were dispatched from Osaka on the Friday and delivered to me on the Monday!

There's been some minor difficulties with shifting 2nd > 3rd and sometimes into 5th. The clutch doesn't slip but after a search on the forums people point to the shifter being at fault (mainly the Bush)

Alot of people have recommended an Australian company called Cube Speed. Coincidently Speedhunters recently had their contributor Ron post up with the same issue, and fitted the same kit.

I went with their Premium kit to allow adjustment on the return spring. Fitting was relatively straight forward with everything access able from the top. To fit the return springs you need the car in the air as they're a bastard to get to.

The feel of it now is incredible, it's transformed the drive of the car completely. It's alot more mechanical, albeit a slight notchy feel but that's probably down to the Shortened throw now. 2nd > 3rd is now effortless.

I've made a very basic video on my phone and uploaded it to YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtET...RUbymeLvc0sSJA

I have another update to post so expect that within the next week

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-23-2020),Phatmiata (03-22-2020),tsingson (03-24-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Great updates! RHDJapan are awesome indeed, and their prices are very reasonable.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (03-23-2020),MaRcOp01o (03-23-2020),tsingson (03-24-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Great updates! RHDJapan are awesome indeed, and their prices are very reasonable.
    I second what harry says RHDJapan has a ton of neat parts!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (03-23-2020),tsingson (03-24-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Following on with the Nismo theme

JDM Parts Rupewrecht assisted again with bidding on an item on Yahoo Auctions, this time a set of sales brochures and part catalogs inc Nismo and Tommy Kaira

Trying to keep things period correct as much as possible, I was on the hunt for a mid logo gear shifter to company the new Cube Speed short shifter. I managed to find one under half the price of a new one someone had offered.

We sell a leather cleaner and restorer at work which should bring it back to life. After a scrub with hot water and washing liquid it was time to get messy with this stuff

The photos don't show much difference, but in person its made such a difference

Another Nismo part I've been wanting for a loooong time were the tail lights which got discontinued years ago, along with the Sun Line Racing equivalents. Alot of people suggested ZLED but I'm not 100% sure on the GTR Style lights, I much prefer the individual LED style.

I was browsing through Facebook and spotted a post on a Supra page by a company called Daniel Man's Custom Lights. I messaged Daniel with what I'd like and he was happy to give it a go. I sourced a spare pair of light units and got them sent straight to Daniel.

A week or so later and they arrived just before the country's lock down for the Covid-19 pandemic (please excuse the dirty car!)

A couple of front shots while I was there

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-14-2020),HarryB (03-27-2020),tsingson (04-01-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    With the Covid-19 lockdown,finding things to do has been quite tricky. I decided to give the engine bay a much needed tidy and spruce up. I saw some photos of a strut brace refurbished in a wrinkle type paint which got me thinking.

I thought of using truck bed liner paint and a quick google took me to a brand called Raptor made by U-Pol (my work is a U-Pol stockist, not that we'd be able to order anything at the moment). I dont have access to a spray booth or a unit so the 'proper' stuff was out of the window, but they do do an aerosol version though. I read and got told mixed reviews of the aerosol version so I looked at alternates.

I then found a stone effect paint by Rust-Oleum, but with this pandemic getting it shipped was tricky. All local stores either didnt have it in stock, or their delivery/click and collect services were unavailable. A company called Plasti-kote do a similar product in various colours so I was on the hunt for that. I managed to find the only can in the area, although it wasnt my first choice in colour, I was too eager to give it a go.

With the pipes removed and prepped it was time to see what it was like. The paint doesnt really give a colour, its more of the coloured texture that sits on the surface. The front Intercooler pipes were originally black, so these came out slightly darker. Compared to the throttle body J pipe and turbo inlet elbow. To be honest, unless you knew you probably wouldn't notice.

Here are some before and after photos

Accessable areas degreased and cleaned
    Intercooler pipes and Turbo inlet elbow painted

Hoses replaced with red silicone inc new stainless clamps

TurboZentrum Silicone Turbo hose fitted

Turbo head shield repainted

Boost controller mounted correctly, new hoses fitted
    Boost controller wiring tidied up along the bulk head
    Passenger side turret wiring tidied
    Amp power cable wrapped in loom tape to hide the yellow
    Ground cable kit tided up and re-routed

Carbon Canister, purge valve, hardlines and pipes removed

Throttle cable adjusted (had quite alot of slack)

Its by far the cleanest or tidiest engine bays but its a start

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-14-2020),HarryB (04-19-2020),tsingson (04-18-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Reminds me of my AE92. I used a stone effect on my valve covers and they looked exactly like that.

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Its a pretty cool effect, its quite soft as while installing them where I was gripping the pipes you can see the paint has kind of 'worn' through so those areas need touching in

Found some newly built industrial units around the corner from the fiancée's work. Would have been rude not to take some photos while I was there

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-14-2020),HarryB (05-01-2020),tsingson (05-01-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I've always loved the look of the BNR34 V Spec II rear diffuser, unfortunately they're expensive second hand and even carbon fibre copies are £1k. So i decided to attempt to make my own using inspiration from it. I'm by no means a fabricator so please be easy on me lol

The first decision was material, I wanted the brackets to be strong, the main diffuser strong enough to be sturdy but doesn't weigh a tonne. I decided to use 2mm thick angle iron for the side and rear brackets and 1.5mm steel box section for the front bracket.

Looking at mounting points and there is a part of the chassis that sits lower than the bumper, this should be ideal

The diffuser and fins were going to be made out of 0.9mm sheet steel. I did think Aluminium as its easy to work with but its too soft IMO. I started off with a card board template, unfortunately the exhaust sits too low at an angle for the whole diffuser 'body' to be a single piece. I tried cutting a hole to try and clear it but it left minimal material at the bottom and it would eventually snap.

So i went with a 2 piece design instead

I started off with the passenger side as it was smaller and easier to mount. A slot was cut for the exhaust hanger with enough room for any movement. The rear is braced with a piece of 2mm flat bar which uses a bolt in the wheel arch to the right side of the shock absorber.

The box section bolts through the boot floor, this helped angle the diffuser down rather than having it flat. This was the first prototype for the box section, later on I made it longer so it covered the width.

You may remember me making a rear tow hook awhile back. I decided to incorporate it into the design by cutting a slot, again enough roof to not catch it when fitting/removing.

I seeked help from some friends as I don't have the skills/equipment to weld or fold sheet metal perfectly.

With the fins folded I could mock the ends up. These would be bolted on and use the same mounting points as the diffuser itself

The rear bracket was made and mocked up at the same time. I also marked the holes for the centre fins ready for drilling. At this point I decided to give the front of the diffuser a minor bend upwards rather than leaving it straight.

With everything fitted for one final time,checking clearances and everything was solid and not rattling/vibrating it was time to drop it off for powder coating. Originally I thought about having it done in black, but with the lower black trim just above it, I feared it may get lost and wouldnt be seen. Only other option was silver, the powder coater only had a satin silver so I bit the bullet and went with that.

I ordered stainless nuts, bolts, washers and rivets for the final fit

I've made flat under bumper splitters, canards and other little bits and pieces in the past but this was certainly my biggest challenge. I think its turned out very well

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-14-2020),MaRcOp01o (06-15-2020),tsingson (06-15-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    well dam nice work! looks the part for sure.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (06-18-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    On Monday 27th July we welcomed our daughter Mia Rose into the world. Mum did an absolutely amazing job and active labour was just over 3hrs long. She's yet to go out in the R34 yet as we still need to sort out the car seat (isofix in the daily Mazda 6 is a god send)

After damaging the Work Emotions back in February, they were refurbished during the Covid-19 lockdown. From the factory in Japan the inside of the spokes are darker with a very bright outer face. The company were able to replicate it,but unfortunately the outer face is slightly darker. I had all 4 wheels done so they all match and they look just as good as before!

The car is filthy and is in a need of a deep clean but couldnt resist getting some photos

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

RotorNutFD3S (08-06-2020),Satisaii (08-01-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Congrats to you both, Chris!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (08-01-2020),MaRcOp01o (07-31-2020)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Congrats on the beautiful little girl

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (08-01-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Congratulations!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (08-01-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Thank you very much

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I can't believe the last update was in July!

In September I was lucky enough to attend the 2nd show of the year dodging the national lock downs, this was Modified Live Snetterton. Would have been rude not to as the circuit is only a 20min drive away.

On the drive home the car threw up the TCS,SLIP and EML lights on with no change in the drive of the car. I took it to work the following week and I experienced a very bad misfire on the way in.

Not having access to Nissan Consult I did the paperclip trick and code 21 appeared, which points at the coil packs.

I removed the coil packs to check the resistance to find 4 out of 6 had no resistance. I'm guessing they're fine on initial start up but break down when they get hot (driving for 10mins after start up the misfire reappears)

I also noticed 3 out of 6 cylinders had oil down the spark plug chambers and on top where the coil pack sits. So I started to strip it down while I wait for a replacement gasket and half moons to arrive from Conceptua Tuning.

This was the first time working on the engine especially an RB, and wow what a ball ache this was haha

With the gaskets and spark plugs changed it was a waiting game for the OEM coil packs to arrive from Auto Extreme

Refitting is very straight forward so it didn't take too long to put everything back together

With the car reassembled it was time for a test drive. What better way than a 100 mile trip around the Norfolk coast. The car didnt play up at all and ran like a dream. An added bonus Mia had slept for the whole time, winner!

I'm looking forward to the salt free roads so I can enjoy this again

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (01-12-2021),MaRcOp01o (01-11-2021)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast