Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rollbar Debate: BBFW NB SD, ZerekFab SD, Hard Dog M2...

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

HDHCHTDD with NB2 surfboards

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MX5Wisher (12-07-2018),SigmaX (12-08-2018),tsingson (12-06-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Followup on the rollbar. I had an M2 HDHCDD in my NA with the same seats pictured above. The hardtop was "self clearanced" in the corners of the main hoop and I could not fully lay the seats back without sliding them forward. The Hardtop version (pictured above) will allow the seat to fully recline, but I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I don't prefer to recline all the way back, and I feel more comfortable with the HT bar's position.

My friend has an NA with a hardtop, stock NA seats, but he's about 5'8". His BBF bar is really nice, but I don't know that it was nearly double the price nice when I was shopping them.

I do wish the diagonals of the HD bars were different, but it's sort of something I'm used to from years of driving with them.

I used to run a full FIA seat/6 point harnesses to track my NA. I have dialed back to stock belts, SRS, and seats in the NB to comply with rules and regs. I simply switched HNRs (head and neck restraints aka HANS devices), so my new HNR is compliant with stock 3 point belts. Sounds odd, but I can explain further if requested. I do miss the FIA seat at times, but not when I'm traveling to the events. I don't have to wrestle the gear in the car or compromise the system to run the track. I am working harder to stay in place with the NB setup, but I'm not any slower. In fact, it's a little more sporting that I've dialed back my track setup. I run the NB at the track the same as I do the street, except for damper settings and the addition of the driver gear (helmet, gloves, suit, HNR) so the translation between what I do/learn at the track is more direct and apples to apples to street application.

I run the SFI padding for whatever protection that may offer on the street. As a taller driver, the NB2 seats have higher headrests to help me with whiplash and to buffer me from the bar. I don't know that the BFF would be any safer in this regard. At my height and position, it may be possible that my head grazes the main hoop in a hard rear collision, but my seat adjustments and positions are such where I and a little forward and lower (because or recline) of where the images above show.

Hard Dog/Bethania is a 5 hour/second state over from me versus the BFF cross-country journey. Shipping wasn't really a big deal, but it was 2X to 3X the Hard Dog bar.

I think if my car wasn't a dual-purpose car, and more track than street, I might lean towards a BFF, but given my height and FIA seat limitations, at that pricing, I would lean towards a bespoke bar and seat setup to stay in compliance.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MLambert19 (12-08-2018),tsingson (12-12-2018)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Ordered a BBFW NB GT3 bar yesterday. It's been my dream roll bar since I first saw them. Ill keep ya'll updated when it arrives. It will be replacing my HardDog Hardcore Hardtop Double Diagonal with built in harness bar.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Ordered a BBFW NB GT3 bar yesterday. It's been my dream roll bar since I first saw them. Ill keep ya'll updated when it arrives. It will be replacing my HardDog Hardcore Hardtop Double Diagonal with built in harness bar.
    How much did it set you back?? And shipping??

Curious as I'd love one (I've stated this many times I know). Last I checked their 6 points were still out of production. I tend to find making an order through them is very hit n miss, I get a response around 50% of the time....
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    How much did it set you back?? And shipping??

Curious as I'd love one (I've stated this many times I know). Last I checked their 6 points were still out of production. I tend to find making an order through them is very hit n miss, I get a response around 50% of the time....
    1545 shipped. Thats with $130 charge for custom powder coat color.

Yea, i had to send him a couple facebook messages. He told me to email him. I did. then had to message him on facebook after almost a week to let him know I emailed him. He then sent an email very quickly with invoice.

I was told a few week back when I started the facebook messages that typically the NB gt3 takes about 2-3 weeks.

Not in a hurry, but I had money and wanted to spend it so I didnt go and buy something else haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    1545 shipped. Thats with $130 charge for custom powder coat color.
    Trying to decide myself now too, just got a quote of $2k for the bar and shipping to the UK.

It's a long way to ship an item like that too so I sorta understand if it's $700 for shipping.

$2k is about £1600's here though, give or take - it then depends on whether customs wants their slice of tax too, greedy *****

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Trying to decide myself now too, just got a quote of $2k for the bar and shipping to the UK.

It's a long way to ship an item like that too so I sorta understand if it's $700 for shipping.

$2k is about £1600's here though, give or take - it then depends on whether customs wants their slice of tax too, greedy *****
    Yea its definitely a lot for shipping. And I understand prices rise due to materials & taxes. Also tough to ship large items overseas/internationally. That roll bar is a huge box.

Like I said, this BBFW bar has been a dream bar for me for years so I decided to treat myself. I wanted some other color than black that I've had in my car for 10 years so that added some money.

You watch your mouth about those Customs *****

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    It is a lot, but it’s also a well constructed roll bar that’s been designed to do its job properly - Moti hasn’t cut corners with his bars, he’s implemented the right design choices in the right places. (Like using different diameter bars where needed to keep the weight down without reducing its effectiveness).

I’ve yet to find a bar on the market that has a harness bar welded into its design and a mount solution for the seatbelts. Every other bar seems to require a workaround or acceptance that the seatbelts won’t retract as normal.

I’m contradicting myself here too as I’ve noted the price difference. I have asked Moti if they’d be willing to do a six point as a one off too - I have a family member that could weld the brackets and door bars to the roll bar to make shipping feasible. It’s whether he’s willing to do it though...

If I’m spending $2K because of shipping I want those integrated door bars..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylSibcy For This Useful Post:

Paul B (12-13-2018)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    $2k is a nice, custom, bespoke 6 point built to rules.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

SigmaX (12-13-2018),Slampen (12-12-2018),tsingson (12-12-2018)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SigmaX's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Miata, 2013 BMW 135is
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    $2k is a nice, custom, bespoke 6 point built to rules.
    Can confirm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SigmaX For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (12-13-2018)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    It is a lot, but it’s also a well constructed roll bar that’s been designed to do its job properly - Moti hasn’t cut corners with his bars, he’s implemented the right design choices in the right places. (Like using different diameter bars where needed to keep the weight down without reducing its effectiveness).

I’ve yet to find a bar on the market that has a harness bar welded into its design and a mount solution for the seatbelts. Every other bar seems to require a workaround or acceptance that the seatbelts won’t retract as normal.

I’m contradicting myself here too as I’ve noted the price difference. I have asked Moti if they’d be willing to do a six point as a one off too - I have a family member that could weld the brackets and door bars to the roll bar to make shipping feasible. It’s whether he’s willing to do it though...

If I’m spending $2K because of shipping I want those integrated door bars..
    No doubt. My Harddog bar was nice, but i definitely like the better seat belt solution of the BbFW.

The Harddog integrated harness bar always forced the left harness strap to be on an angle toward the center of the car. This will not be an issue on thr BBFW bar.

Also, ive already got the DIY Roadster door bars .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    There's a single-diagonal BBFW 6-point currently for sale to anyone local to the shop. Moti listed it today on Facebook. $1200 plus install, seems a good buy relative to the cost of just the regular bars.

-Matt

Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    There's a single-diagonal BBFW 6-point currently for sale to anyone local to the shop. Moti listed it today on Facebook. $1200 plus install, seems a good buy relative to the cost of just the regular bars.

-Matt
    Good spot!

I’d jump at that chance if I could, there’s no way that would ship..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234