Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rollbar Debate: BBFW NB SD, ZerekFab SD, Hard Dog M2...

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    I have BBFW NB SD bars in two of my NA’s. I like to support small businesses and Moti is close. Both cars now have a Robbins top with the glass window. The smurf has Nakamae seats which sit 4cm lower but the BRG still has stock seats. I’m 6’ and don’t have issues in either car. I never noticed the welds but probably because I never inspected them. Before I put the hardtop on I always put on the boot cover for longer drives/ car meets etc with no issues.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Sorry who the heck is Zerek, never heard of them? Is this the same company that took everyones money for a CF hardtop and then never delivered?
    That was Tyrant Fabrication. He went out of business a while ago. Zerek is (was) a younger guy starting out with a welder. If you look up Zerek Fabrication on Instagram you'll see some masterpieces of his works. From what I've read, mostly positive, but, like all companies there are a few negative reviews.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SigmaX's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 Miata, 2013 BMW 135is
    Thanks Given
    It really seems like you're trying to get people to confirm that the BBFW bar is the right choice rather than asking for opinions. I'm going to give you an opinion with more points than what I posted earlier:

Bethania Garage has a proven record when it comes to the effectiveness of their rollbars.
    The HCHT M2 has an optional, removable harness bar. You can get the rollbar now, and purchase the harness bar later (if you do end up needing it).
    The design of the HCHT bar is better. The double-diagonal provides equal, strong protection for driver AND PASSENGER and the back legs sit further back, providing more stability in the event of a rollover.
    I don't know about BBFW - but I have had two BG rollbars in cars, and have visited their shop to pick up my last one in person. It's a small operation, and they have turned out large numbers of these bars over a long period of time. They've got the fab and QC down, pat.

EDIT: As to the Zerek bar you posted? I wouldn't touch it. The designer doesn't understand the purpose of the diagonal bar, or doesn't understand how to place it properly. That in itself is enough for me to say "here's a guy who might be a good wielder but has no capability to design safety cages/rollbars".

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster7 View Post
    I don't doubt that his bars are a notch above the others available on the market.
    A "notch above" just doesn't justify the price hike for me, and that's ignoring the fact I'm based in the UK so add $700 for shipping to get it here.

There's just too many other decked-out off the shelf options with enough change left to buy other things with. I'd love a bar from Moti, last I heard he was working on a 6 Point bar that could be more easily shipped and they were looking into changing shipping which would make it cheaper - I held off to save some money, then the tax hike of metals went mad and made it impossible.

I should've bought one when I had the chance... I might just get a custom 6 point made over here

To the OP, if you're after a standard 4 point rollbar and are within sensible driving distance to Moti, get a GT3 - it's become the gold standard. Other than that stick to reputable brands that have been selling bars for decades, like Hard Dog.
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Yeah... shipping might be cheaper than driving from Maine to California haha.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MX5Wisher's Avatar
    Drives
    Fast as I can
    Thanks Given
    artcentremiata (Jeremy) has a Zerekfab Cage and a Nielex front tower brace...

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylSibcy View Post
    A "notch above" just doesn't justify the price hike for me, and that's ignoring the fact I'm based in the UK so add $700 for shipping to get it here.
    Same for me located in Norway.

I went for the http://www.gcfabrications.co.uk/prod...-gc2-roll-bar/ from UK.
    Nice roll bar for a good price.

That is after I tried Bossfrog Clearview Maxx and experienced that my seatbelts did not retract.
    Last edited by Slampen; 12-02-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I love Moti’s work, but I couldn’t justify the price. A friend mine has a BBF bar and it has nice features. I went with another Hard Dog bar (my fourth), a HCHTDD. I like the extra seat travel, but I wish there was a better solution for getting the seatbelts to retract properly.

I knew Zerek when I lived in SOCAL. I’m a little ambivalent about his products.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MLambert19 (12-06-2018)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Steven, are you running a 4 point harness for a seatbelt or just the stock setup, im considering getting some Schroth Harness again because if I go turbo I would hate to have all that power and no seat belts to hold me in place properly.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Randy, stock. I would strongly recommend staying away from 4 pt belts. They are more likely to kill you, allow you to slip through, or paralyze you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-03-2018)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SigmaX View Post
    It really seems like you're trying to get people to confirm that the BBFW bar is the right choice rather than asking for opinions".
    Not at all. If anything, I think the recent BBFW price hike is unfounded and ridiculous.

I just want to have my cake and eat it, it seems. Visibility, seat travel, seatbelt operation, and reasonable price. If any product offered all of that, this thread wouldn't exist.

-Matt

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    I hadn't heard of said price increase on Moti's bars....anybody have numbers?
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! DarylSibcy's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990 Miata w/ITBs ;)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    His prices haven’t gone up - it’s simply the premium that BBFW roll bars command. $1200 isnt chump change and has a lot of people second guessing themselves when other companies like Hard Dog offer bars at $500.

I’d buy a bar from Moti before anybody else, but if an alternative comes up that doesn’t cost me $700 to ship I’d get that. My interest is in their 6 point that they no longer produce, been waiting over a *year for that development...
    Last edited by DarylSibcy; 12-04-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: *auto-correct
    You want a good car. I want a good miata.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/BlackbirdFa...23170524402618

When I bought my NA SD, they were $495. The NB SD was $645.

Was quoted $1315 shipped to Florida for a NB SD just the other day.

-Matt

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLambert19 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/BlackbirdFa...23170524402618

When I bought my NA SD, they were $495. The NB SD was $645.

Was quoted $1315 shipped to Florida for a NB SD just the other day.

-Matt
    Ya if they have gone up it isn't too much as I got a quote from him about 2 years ago for a NB GT3 and think it was around $1300-$1400 shipped(can't recall the bars price). He gets terrible shipping rates apparently. You would think he could work a deal with UPS or FedEx for better shipping prices. I was shocked at how much higher his shipping rates were than other distributors of roll bars, granted different brands but his cant be that much heavier.

I still think Moti, BBFW, makes the best miata roll bar, I've seen, and all his custom work for race cars kind of blows away the argument that Hard Dog is "more proven". Based on what, sales, quantity, years in business, roll overs survived? Moti is clearly skilled and no offense to Hard Dog but, imo, Moti's bars is a whole another level above theirs. I think Adam's review pretty much plays out all the reasons
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast