Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1997 M-Edition

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! dnaha's Avatar
    Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Finally, after about 5 years, I am the proud owner of a set of Watanabe Type B wheels. I've always loved the look of these wheels on the Miata. I have been wanting to purchase a set of these wheels since my first Miata, the 1996 M-Edition but never was in a position to do so, as well as never got the chance to buy them.

This past week on Facebook Marketplace finally found a set for sale locally in the 14x6.5 +14.5 specs that I wanted (besides the silver color but that is something that I can change down the line so I'm not too worried about it. Plus silver won't look bad against the paint of the Miata). From the listing and the pictures, the wheels looked to be in great condition and even came with a set of basically new tires (will be replacing these eventually for something a bit better).

The guy I bought them from said they were imported back in around 2013 and he had used them on his Miata as well as his Opel GT. Also threw in a set of the Type 1 Center Caps with the wheels which was nice. Got a pretty good deal them too, so I'm extremely happy.

Considering I have an NA8, I probably run a 3mm since I've read with a 5mm spacer you need to get extended wheel studs which are not something I want to do currently. Also need to buy a set of the black Watanabe lug nuts to go along with these wheels.

All in all, I couldn't be happier that I finally got to get a set of my dream wheels. Can't wait to get them onto the car soon. Pics attached below.

61680946470__4BC4ADD7-5CB4-41E3-B651-4124F6AA11CC.jpg

61680947354__BFE9EB84-8B56-41E4-BF98-E16995185191.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg
    Last edited by dnaha; 07-19-2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Follow My Build Thread!
    ----------------------------------
    1997 Mazda Miata M-Edition
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....1997-M-Edition
    On Instagram: @97NA8M

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dnaha For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-19-2020),HarryB (07-20-2020),Martin (07-19-2020),MiataQuest (01-01-2021),oldgrayleather (07-20-2020),ueru (08-09-2020),vote4pedro (07-19-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Awesome! Congratulations, can't wait to see them installed!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

dnaha (07-19-2020)

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Awesome! Congratulations, can't wait to see them installed!
    Me too! I was never the biggest fan of the 97 M-Edition's wheels so I'm glad I finally get the chance to change them with something that's a bit more to my taste
    Follow My Build Thread!

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by dnaha View Post
    Me too! I was never the biggest fan of the 97 M-Edition's wheels so I'm glad I finally get the chance to change them with something that's a bit more to my taste
    Yes of all the NA Special Editions/M Editions, the 97M has the worst OEM wheels. I'm also excited because Wats is what I REALLY wanted for Warbird, my 97M, and that was something that never came to fruition. So I get to live vicariously through you!
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Completed:
    Engine/Drivetrain
    -Mazdaspeed Front Strut Bar
    -BeatRush Rear Strut Bar
    -Mazdaspeed Oil Filler Cap (Gold)
    -DDM Works Cruise Control Relocation Kit
    -Mazdaspeed Airbox Powdercoated High Heat Flat Black
    -Retro Modern Spark Plug Cover
    -NGK Spark Plug Change
    -Koyorad 36mm Hyper V-Core Aluminum
    -Upgraded Maruha Radiator Hoses
    -DaveFab LHD Washer Bottle Relocation Kit
    -OEM 1.8L Valve Cover Powdercoated Flat Black
    Exterior
    -Moss Miata Turn Signal Intakes
    -Front and Rear Tie-down "Baby Teeth" Removal
    -OEM Eunos Yellow Lens Fog Lights
    -OEM-style R-Package Front Lip
    -OEM-style R-Package Rear Lip
    -Retro-style Luggage Rack
    -Robbins Factory-Style Top w/ Defroster Glass (Zipperless & NA Tan)
    Interior
    -Hard Dog M2 Sport Black Powdercoat W/ Double Diagonal
    -OEM Dual Defroster/Fog Light Switch
    -Revlimiter Sharka's Vent Rings Polished Aluminum
    Misc
    -Rear Bumper Cover Refinished

------------------------
    Big update time!

As mentioned in a previous post, the plastic window on my Miata had deteriorated to the point where it was honestly a hazard to drive with it up (especially at night). The window has turned incredibly orange and brown and had several cracks in it and all in all, it was time to replace. I tried using plastic window cleaner but that didn't really do anything substantial on this top (worked pretty well on my 96's top however). The actual soft top itself was in relatively good condition, just faded after 20+ years of use. Here's some pictures of the state that it was in:
    From the outside...
    IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

And the inside...
    IMG_3174.jpg

So, after researching and locating an installer, finally bought a new top from Robbins! I got the factory style since I like the OEM look as opposed to the streamline tops, and I also got the glass with defroster since I never want to deal with a plastic window again (installer said that they don't even last long despite being new). Also went with zipperless since with the roll-bar in place, unzipping was a nightmare. Here's some pictures from the installation:

Old top removed...
    61764734082__9D08DDB3-FCB1-4255-AB73-BA67DA31BBD6.jpg

Just the frame left...
    IMG_3181.jpg

Top installed!
    61765820138__4BE38E78-82BA-4052-A746-29DB07D35FEF.jpg

From the inside again...
    IMG_3184.jpg

I can't believe how much nicer this new top is. Comparing the two side by side, the old one was so faded and worn. There is actually color in the new top! And the glass window is amazing. I can actually see outside again.

Very pleased with the top, the installer, and the whole process. Definitely an upgrade worth doing if your soft top is old or the plastic window needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by dnaha; 07-30-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    Follow My Build Thread!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnaha For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (07-28-2020),MiataQuest (01-01-2021)

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Always a good day when you get a package from RevLimiter in the mail

revlimite guages.jpg

With the sale that was going on, finally decided to pull the trigger on a set of F1 Stage 2 gauges and the center indicator panel. I thought these gauges were a nice blend between retro style without overdoing it. Also wanted to utilize those two dummy spots since my airbag and headlamp lights would be deleted with the gauges, hence the center indicator panel. Didn't want to take the gauges out of their packaging just yet in the off chance they get scratched or I mess them up somehow.

Debating whether to install these gauges sooner rather than later or wait to get my hands on an AWD cluster and just do everything at once...
    Last edited by dnaha; 08-08-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    Follow My Build Thread!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dnaha For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (01-01-2021)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I'd say install them. Panel can be done later and they do not have to be removed to do so.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

dnaha (08-09-2020),oldgrayleather (08-09-2020)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Wow we really do think alike, Daron! I ordered a set of custom F1 Stage 2 gauges around the same time.

I agree with Harry, install them sooner than later and enjoy! I have held off for similar reasons as I gathered other parts for the cluster BUT already have some Fighter gauges to enjoy in the mean time.
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 08-11-2020 at 11:41 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

dnaha (08-09-2020)

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Wow we really do think alike, Danor! I ordered a set of custom F1 Stage 2 gauges around the same time.

I agree with Harry, install them sooner than later and enjoy! I have held off for similar reasons as I gathered other parts for the cluster BUT already have some Fighter gauges to enjoy in the mean time.
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    I'd say install them. Panel can be done later and they do not have to be removed to do so.
    You and Harry have convinced me to go ahead with the install. Just need to find some free time to do it. Hopefully sometime this week or next.

Looking forward to seeing you install them on yours!
    Follow My Build Thread!

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Completed:
    Engine/Drivetrain
    -BeatRush Rear Strut Bar
    -NGK Spark Plug Change
    Exterior
    Interior
    -Hard Dog M2 Sport Black Powdercoat w/ Double Diagonal
    -Revlimiter F1 Stage 2 Gauges
    -Revlimiter Center Indicator Panel

Misc

------------------------
    Another update!

Since my previous Miata, I've always wanted to order a set of Revlimiter gauges for the Miata. The different orientations and styles that you can get is just astonishing. I never knew which set I wanted, jumping between the Nutz, Zen, and JNC faces. However, those faces didn't really capture the vintage style that I was going for with the interior of the Miata. But I didn't want anything too crazy looking hence why options like Sterling, Model 36, and GT-40 were out of the question; they were too vintage for me. That's when the F1 style gauges caught my attention. Both had that classic vintage look without being over the top. I ultimately decided on the F1 Stage 2 gauges because I wasn't too much of a fan of the big red limiter section of the F1 (stage 1?) gauges.

Over the last year, particularly since the Canadian Grand Prix, I really got into Formula 1 so having gauges that were styled like the vintage cars was a bonus (thanks Vettel).

I also ordered the Center Indicator Panel since as I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to keep my airbag and retractor lights since the washer and ABS light were unused anyway. It's free real estate.

While it turned out not to be very difficult, I was still quite nervous and apprehensive about doing the install since I didn't want to damage my cluster in any meaningful way since finding another with low miles would be a challenge and a hassle. Thanks to Adam@Revlimiter's amazing and detailed write up along with Greg Peter's (shoutout Carpassionchannel) great video, the install was mostly straight forward.

The only minor hiccups that I ran into was the wiring for the center indicator panel since the wiring loom in my car wasn't colored like Adam's was in the diagrams he showed and my gauge cluster seemed to be working just fine without doing the wiring on the cluster itself. I still went ahead and did it since Adam designed it and he definitely knows more than I do when it comes to this stuff.

Other than that, installation went without a problem and I'm super happy with the look of the cluster. Setting the needles was a bit interesting since I don't have a standalone ECU but with a bit of work I'm fairly certain everything is where it should be.

Sad that the M-Edition gauge face on the tach is gone but these new gauges look incredible and are a worthy replacement.

Some pictures from the install below:

Stock gauges with backlight on.
    IMG_3237.jpg

Cluster removed from the Miata!
    IMG_3253.jpg

Cluster cover removed revealing the gauges themselves...
    IMG_3255.jpg

More on that OEM center indicator panel. ABS and washer icon can be seen on the bottom row. I'm not even sure why Miatas came with the washer light.
    IMG_3256.jpg

And against the light now...
    IMG_3260.jpg

New faces installed on the cluster! Can also see the new center panel installed too with the air bag and retractor lights relocated.
    IMG_3261.jpg

All wired and lit up. Success!
    61880120035__B0985649-6409-4A5B-A67A-DDE255FFB5B9.jpg

Everything installed. A very clean and simple look. Absolutely love it.
    61880165176__5EA0409C-C36C-4FFA-958B-C140FC5F478D.jpg

And last but not least, the new faces with backlight on.
    IMG_3264.jpg

Really glad I could get this installed in one day and nothing went wrong which is a surprising change of pace. Drove it around the block once to make sure everything was working as intended and definitely going to take a little bit to get used to the new tach position but I love the look so it's worth it.

Once again, thanks to Adam for the beautiful gauges and amazing write-up!
    Follow My Build Thread!

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dnaha For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (08-11-2020),HarryB (08-11-2020),MiataQuest (01-01-2021),tsingson (08-12-2020),ueru (08-11-2020),vote4pedro (09-07-2020)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Gauges look great, Daron! Just a little background on the gauges...they are actually styled after the McLaren F1 gauges(click for pic) and are one of the first gauges(or the first, iirc) Adam produced...pretty neat tid bit, imo.

Also on the M Edition on the tachometer...you could always get Adam to make another tachometer face with the M Edition emblem later(which would fit in the empty space nicely)...sure there goes your savings from the sale BUT then you would be "completely" happy with the results, right?
    Last edited by Greasemonkey2000; 08-11-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Weird autocorrect...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

dnaha (08-11-2020)

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Gauges look great, Daron! Just a little background on the gauges...they are actually styled after the McLaren F1 gauges(click for pic) and are one of the first gauges(or the first, iirc) Adam produced...pretty neat tid bit, imo.

Also on the M Edition on the tachometer...you could always get Adam to make another tachometer face with the M Edition emblem later(which would fit in the empty space nicely)...sure there goes your savings from the sale BUT then you would be "completely" happy with the results, right?
    Yea I thought about getting some custom gauges with the M-Edition incorporated in it somehow but honestly not the biggest issue. I'm still very happy with how everything turned out (also don't want to go digging in the cluster area again for a long while)
    Follow My Build Thread!

Drives
    97 M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Completed:
    Engine/Drivetrain
    -BeatRush Rear Strut Bar
    -NGK Spark Plug Change
    Exterior
    Interior
    -Hard Dog M2 Sport Black Powdercoat w/ Double Diagonal
    -Revlimiter F1 Stage 2 Gauges
    -Revlimiter Center Indicator Panel
    -Revlimiter Retro Window Switches (Black)
    Misc

-----------------------------------
    Small update time!

Seems I can't get enough of the things Adam @ Revlimiter offers because yet another piece arrived today. This time it was the Retro Window Switches in black. These were sold out for a good while and I since I thought that the brushed aluminum one would be a bit too much, I held off on getting one. The black ones were recently restocked so I jumped on it and bought one just so I wouldn't miss the chance again.

Install was ridiculously easy and was been one of if not the easiest things I've done. Legitatemely took about 5 minutes from start to finish. Also unplugged that annoying light in the center console that is an eyesore at night since I don't have a cup holder or ashtray to cover it. Maybe the sunglass holder but I'm not sure, the prices on those things are crazy.

I think the new window switches add a nice touch to the interior and the chrome bits match the vent rings I have. I'm glad I'm sprucing up the interior since its where I spend the most time.

As always, pictures below!

Old switches. In pretty good shape honestly, just bland looking.
    IMG_3416.jpg

New switches. These look much better than the OEM ones. Adam did an amazing job with them!
    IMG_3417.jpg

Installed...
    window switches.jpg

Just need to get the black retro hazard switches to complete the set!
    Last edited by dnaha; 09-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Follow My Build Thread!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dnaha For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-31-2020),MaRcOp01o (08-31-2020),MiataQuest (09-07-2020),ueru (01-01-2021)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue´94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Nice progress here.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LagBlu For This Useful Post:

dnaha (09-08-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HMT's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Nice things have happened so far - but doesnt it bug you out that you still havent mounted the Watanabes? Something to look forward to in the new year, i guess

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast