Thread: HMT's Daily: the xero fux given 323

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HMT's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given

HMT's Daily: the xero fux given 323

Thought I'd do another thread for my current daily.
    Got it in 2017 to get me to work, carry the family around and transport some building materials for the house while retaning a fun driving experience for almost no investment.
    Enter the 2000 BJ 323 Sportive, coming with free front impact damage. Still the best one i could find in a long time because chassis rust was minimal (most of these look like a swiss cheese by now).
    Found it a couple of hours away at a very quistionable dealership where it was basically awaiting it's faith in Africa. Not on my watch!
    20170905_172900.jpg
    Paid 250 Euros for it but had to leave it there until I had worked out a way to get it back home.
    Don't wanna go into too much detail here but I decided to drive it home, so got a head light to replace the broken one, persuaded a friend to get me there, brought along some spare parts, temporary plates and a lot of tape to hold it all together
    20170913_174751.jpg

To make a long story short, the car had tons of issues. Spend about a month or two wrenching away in the evenings and threw a couple of grand at it until it looked like this and was just ready for it's first round of winter duty:
    bj181.jpg
    bj182.jpg
    bj183.jpg

It did it's job really well so I decided it deserved some treats the next summer...
    jul01.jpg
    jul02.jpg
    jul05.jpg
    jul10.jpg
    jul09.jpg

So it's currently sitting on KW V2 coilovers, 17x7" OZ Leggenda wheels with the Sport20 side and rear skits, some aftermarket front lip, Protege5 tail lights, original Mazda Sports Exhaust, Sport20 intereur (which made it to germany for a very short time period in 2000 and only in the 1.8 Sport; this car came standard with it), 01+ center console and door sill panels, Autoexe Carbon Fiber intake, 01+ Sport strut brace and some audio upgrades.
    I've never been really into this model but it serves me quite well. Couple of months ago I almost sold it but it suddenly developed a few failures which I had to fix in the week before the deal was supposed to go through. Decided that it's not worth it to invest and then sell for the same price as before so decided to keep it and give it another round of love and wrenching. And because I'm stupid I decided to order some overlight parts from Japan again

Cheers,
    Chris

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMT For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-05-2019),tsingson (07-05-2019)

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Just a few more pics for fun:
    B6-15.jpg

Details of the blacked out lights and indicators. They only came in chrome as standard.
    B6-16.jpg

Double ass shot together with my wife's daily MX3:
    B6-12.jpg

One of the few existing interieur pics
    DSC_3620.jpg

Added some wind deflectors recently to allow the windows to stay open when parked
    DSC_3949.jpg

Test fitted the V6s wheels
    DSC_3200.jpg

The intake setup
    DSC_3180.jpg

One of many part runs
    DSC_2422.jpg

The car hay really proven to be incredibly useful and versatile, when moving stuff around (keeping in mind it's limited size). Fun fact: the passenger seat folts doen flat and the rear bench can slide forth and back depending on the need for cargo or passenger space...
    apr04.jpg

I've been moving a load of parts and building materials over the last two years and really like not having to care too much about scratches or dents as it already has a few of those. Everybody should have at least one car like this

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMT For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-05-2019),tsingson (07-05-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    I have to admit, this was not something I have been expecting me to ever say, but that looks so damn cool!

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Time for a new year update
    As I could not stand the look of the front end, I seriously considered selling the car in 2019. Last minute i reconsidered and instead went full Sport20. One trip to the yahoo auction, a message to rupewrecht and a couple of weeks of waiting later, I received a JDM Sport20 front bumper and grille. Had it repainted from red to silver and got it on the car in summer 2019.
    DSC_5537s.jpg

I have to say, this changed my relationship to the car. I started actually liking it and dont regret the invest at all
    DSC_5617s.jpg
    DSC_5619s.jpg
    DSC_5626s.jpg
    DSC_5630s.jpg
    DSC_5632s.jpg

In 2020, I took in on one larger road trip through europe as I combined a trip to Luxemburg where a collected a JDM bumper for my MX3 with a family holiday trip to the czech republic.
    The car didnt miss a beat and had enough space for everything. Even with the KW coilovers the comfort was perfectly fine for longer trips. Fuel economy was okay, power output as well.
    Only thing I noticed at high Autobahn speeds were worn suspension bushings.
    Here are a few pictures from the trip:
    Waterplane action
    DSC_7641s.jpg
    Collecting the goods
    road04.jpg
    Dry summer landscape
    road05.jpg
    Driving break
    road08.jpg

Aaand I reached the picture limit
    Anyway, not much else to tell. Bought a complete set of suspension arms in the mean time but didnt get round to fitting them yet. As I'm working from home since spring, I really only go on shopping or part runs at the moment.
    I guess the BJ will be with me for a couple more years as it would just be a waste of money to replace it at this point.
    Plus, it's a rare sight like it is now.
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with it

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HMT For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-11-2021),HarryB (01-04-2021),kung fu jesus (01-02-2021),MiataQuest (01-02-2021)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    Huge fan of this shape :-) 4x100

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Thanks For me, it's an acquired taste but the Sport20 kit transformed it to something desirable. Unfortunately, the BJ chassis rusts so badly. Mine is still ok as they got really bad from 2001 onwards and I spend months looking for a good example and pumped it full of wax but we'll see how long it lasts.