Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the JDM Limited Editions?

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 472 Posts

How would you rank the JDM Limited Editions?

How would you rank the MK1 JDM Limited Editions? For me personally they are the best as not just in most occasions an exterior or interior trim change. There were some as you see below but many also had light-weight wheels, performance or handling upgrades, etc. that make them that bit more special for me.

My list goes something like this:

• Mazdaspeed C-Spec. Never seen one for sale. Alleged 30 made according to internet info.
    • M2-1001: Wish I had bought one when I could. 300 made.
    • M2-1028: Another M2 Car, still quite track orientated, later 1.8 engine. 300 made.
    • M2-1002: whilst the M2-1001 was the Clubman, the M2-1002 with its luxury interior was more the gentleman tourer 100 made.
    • Tokyo Edition: Not so much a factory car but sold through dealers in Japan using parts. In from M2. Available in manual or auto. Black with a cream leather interior. 40 made.
    • Chaste White R-Limited: Maybe a little controversial choice but a great colour combination and as a R-Limited the underpinnings of the RS-Limited. 106 made.
    • RS-Limited: Apart from the M2-1001 maybe the best out the factory track oriented roadster. Has to have Carbon Recaros to be number 7 for me. 500 made.
    • Mica Satellite Blue R-Limited: Same underpinnings of the RS Limited, the exterior paint with red interior looks great. 894 made. Has for a long-time been my favourite JDM limited edition.
    • S-Limited: Produced in 1993. Essentially a S-Special but with a red interior and Gold BBS wheels. 1000 made. Great colour combination.
    • VR-Limited: Available in 1996. Combination A was in Merlot colour with tan interior and the Combination B green with a black interior. 800 of each made. Great exterior colours. Later engine. Downside is Mazda had start to let the bean counters get involved.
    • J-Limited: First of the yellow Roadsters. 800 made. All sold on the first day released.
    • J2-Limited: like the J-Limited in yellow but sold in 1994 with the 1.8 engine. 800 made.
    • R2-Limited: Nice car but not on same level as White R-Limited, because it didn’t have the underpinnings of the RS-Limited whilst the interior wasn’t to the same spec (black dash, etc.) 500 made.
    • Laguna Blue S-Special: Not really a Limited edition but great exterior colour available only in 1994. Don’t see many around least of all factory original.
    • S-Special 2: Not so much a limited edition but only available in 1995 so warrants a place. The montego blue version is sometimes confused with a RS-Limited given exterior colour and both came with 15’BBS wheels as standard.
    • G-Limited: Mica Satellite Blue paint is always a winner and the suede seats unusual. 1500 made in 1995.
    • SR-Limited- Almost and end of line MK1. Unusual colour but never that popular whilst unlike the JDM limited editions in the main days really only a colour and interior upgrade. 700 made.
    • B2-Limited: like the SR-Limited a bit of an end of line car. 1000 made.

Sometimes confused with limited editions when seen for sale but in my mind more ‘model trims’ as available over a number of years and no limited numbers.

V-Spec: Available in black or BRG with tan interior. Later version with the 1.8 engine often referred to as the type 2.
    S-Special: Available most commonly in black but sometimes in red. Good spec with light-weight BBS wheels, chassis bracing, etc. Becoming more difficult to find these original.
    Last edited by Madaboutmx5s; 08-30-2019 at 03:11 PM.

MadaboutMX5s

**** Tuckin 99 N2 'FM2 Turbo' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** Pitcrew Racing 'IRTB'd' Eunos Roadster ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Satellite Blue Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1993 Eunos Roadster 'JDM' S-Special ****
    **** 1991 'Stock' Eunos Roadster J Limited ****
    **** 1995 'Stock' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****
    **** 1994 'Stock' Eunos Roadster RS Limited ****
    **** GReddy Turbo 'Demo' Chaste White Eunos Roadster R Limited ****

Instagram
    Facebook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

HMT (09-04-2019),MikeA (08-31-2019),Phatmiata (09-01-2019),vote4pedro (04-03-2021)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Man that is a great list of all the compiled special Eunos'! I can help you fill in some blanks however. According too the previous and original owner of my B-Spec who was a Mazda Tech in Japan says that there were only 25 B-Spec 2's officially built by Mazdaspeed and the rest were sold as the optional kit that was advertised in magazines. Also I have heard that there are 100 B-Specs with the Non-Supercharger package aka the B-Spec 1.

Also little fact for everyone my car was built off an S-Special chassis.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (09-03-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Brilliant idea for a thread , thanks James!! How am I not surprised my list is almost identical to yours but for a few minor tweaks.

As much as I would love a C Spec engine like Bo's, the body work has never won me over so it wouldn't take top spot. Where it fell in my list would depend on how many other roadster's I'd actually have in my stable. This knock-off has been for sale for ages (can't remember the name of the company that made an aftermarket body kit)...

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/use...002/index.html

I also rank the M2 1001 above the 1028 which sometimes has been a bit controversial for some. There have been days too where a 1002 cruiser really strikes a chord with me.

The Chaste white R limited ranks highly for me probably given my nationality.

Not JDM editions but curious how you'd rate the LeMans and Harvard editions you got in the UK and any others?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (08-30-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Infedora's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 White
    Thanks Given
    A list that once seen can’t be unseen. Sigh. So much to want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Infedora For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (08-31-2019)

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Excellent point Pete. I would do anything for a Le Mans!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    1001 with c spec drivetrain pls

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Not JDM editions but curious how you'd rate the LeMans and Harvard editions you got in the UK and any others?
    I am a bit JDM biased to answer fairly but for me most of the UK limited editions were a change of seats and colour. I prefer the JDM editions as whilst maybe a colour and seat/interior change also came with extras like better bracing, shocks, wheels, flywheel, etc.

Always appealed to me more.

If I was to add UK editions it would be the Le Mans and genuine BBR Turbo models.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

How would you rank the JDM Limited Editions?

Honestly, I never really looked into them.

The NB hardtop coupes are really the only one I had a mild interest in.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madaboutmx5s View Post
    I am a bit JDM biased to answer fairly but for me most of the UK limited editions were a change of seats and colour. I prefer the JDM editions as whilst maybe a colour and seat/interior change also came with extras like better bracing, shocks, wheels, flywheel, etc.

Always appealed to me more.

If I was to add UK editions it would be the Le Mans and genuine BBR Turbo models.
    Totally agree but as is usually the case the stuff we never got is somehow appealing. Like the Canadian spec, non airbag BRG. I totally forgot about the BBR! Being a launch year model shows the insight Mazda UK had to offer a performance version with 36 more horsepowers, 50% more torque, a warranty and dropping 2 seconds from the nought to sixty.

PS: did your latest acquistion have anything to do with your ranking of the ltd edition JDM models? ;)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Totally agree but as is usually the case the stuff we never got is somehow appealing. Like the Canadian spec, non airbag BRG. I totally forgot about the BBR! Being a launch year model shows the insight Mazda UK had to offer a performance version with 36 more horsepowers, 50% more torque, a warranty and dropping 2 seconds from the nought to sixty.

PS: did your latest acquistion have anything to do with your ranking of the ltd edition JDM models? ;)
    For me I think it is also the fact living in the UK and having access to Japanese imports has made me appreciate those limited editions models more. I still enjoy the modified scene with good quality parts from Japanese boutique timers but likewise older Ive got have a greater appreciation for the best of the limited editions.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-02-2019)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lucmor444's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver 1996
    Thanks Given
    Would love an M2-1001. But for the ultimate in rarity i'd grab the M2-1006!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    M2-1001 has a nice ring about it, but as a car to actually use, less attractive. The seats are very tight, so for regular use, its gets to be a pain. Some have the ropey manual rack, others are power rack (better) The M2-gauges look nice, but they wobble as much as a 1960s Jag; they are basically motorbike gauges. Tokyo Limited (Autolink has one for sale); I would move down the list, even though its rare, I'd stick alongside the B2s. When you see them, you don't actually really want them. The R2 I think is based on a late S-Special, so mechanically, that makes it similar to the RS (4.300 final gearing, lightened flywheel). B2 is a specced up M-Package, with pretty awful upholstery, so I'd stick that at the bottom. I think most of the SRs ended up white, bit of a dogs breakfast of an interior.

S-Special IIs were available late 1995, 1996 and 1997. Most of the S-Specials sold during this period were IIs (all that meant was that 15" BBS wheels were fitted, 14" BBS wheels were dropped during 1997), in all sorts of colours, including Montego Blue. As these were Phase 2 NA8C cars, they got the thinner carpet, and modified seats. They also got the lightened flywheel, but were fitted with a T2 4.300 Torsens, and the higher compression later engine. Mechanically, very similar to the RS-Limited.

Little known fact; the M2-1002 came fitted with 185/55 15 tyres, a bit skinnier than than the 1001.

Too much myth about the B-Spec, which were "built" by Mazdaspeed from new (Mazdaspeed was a chain of shops), which were customer cars modified by Mazdaspeed , and which were customer cars home converted. You can't tell.

One "edition" left of the list; the Version 1 and 2 refreshed Mazdaspeed NA6CEs. Again, the numbers are uncertain, and its also uncertain if Mazdaspeed brought cars themselves to refresh, or they worked on customer cars. I'd have one of these, the melding of NA and NB into a single car.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....om-Mazda-Japan

I'm only aware of the BRG with cloth interior and a silver car coming back onto the market.

This is the Version 1, which was basically a NA6CE with stock NB suspension (shocks, springs, wishbones)

Version II; I think the seats were optional

Notice, the upgraded speedo

And Mazdaspeed did stuff like this, adding NB gussets:

But Mazdaspeed did have a dirty, messy workshop

Minty fresh car sitting on the used car lot, I think this was a Type II because of the suspension upgrades

Another one here:
    https://ameblo.jp/porpor01gt3/entry-12415807896.html

Quote Originally Posted by Madaboutmx5s View Post
    How would you rank the MK1 JDM Limited Editions? For me personally they are the best as not just in most occasions an exterior or interior trim change. There were some as you see below but many also had light-weight wheels, performance or handling upgrades, etc. that make them that bit more special for me.

My list goes something like this:

• Mazdaspeed C-Spec. Never seen one for sale. Alleged 30 made according to internet info.
    • M2-1001: Wish I had bought one when I could. 300 made.
    • M2-1028: Another M2 Car, still quite track orientated, later 1.8 engine. 300 made.
    • M2-1002: whilst the M2-1001 was the Clubman, the M2-1002 with its luxury interior was more the gentleman tourer 100 made.
    • Tokyo Edition: Not so much a factory car but sold through dealers in Japan using parts. In from M2. Available in manual or auto. Black with a cream leather interior. 40 made.
    • Chaste White R-Limited: Maybe a little controversial choice but a great colour combination and as a R-Limited the underpinnings of the RS-Limited. 106 made.
    • RS-Limited: Apart from the M2-1001 maybe the best out the factory track oriented roadster. Has to have Carbon Recaros to be number 7 for me. 500 made.
    • Mica Satellite Blue R-Limited: Same underpinnings of the RS Limited, the exterior paint with red interior looks great. 894 made. Has for a long-time been my favourite JDM limited edition.
    • S-Limited: Produced in 1993. Essentially a S-Special but with a red interior and Gold BBS wheels. 1000 made. Great colour combination.
    • VR-Limited: Available in 1996. Combination A was in Merlot colour with tan interior and the Combination B green with a black interior. 800 of each made. Great exterior colours. Later engine. Downside is Mazda had start to let the bean counters get involved.
    • J-Limited: First of the yellow Roadsters. 800 made. All sold on the first day released.
    • J2-Limited: like the J-Limited in yellow but sold in 1994 with the 1.8 engine. 800 made.
    • R2-Limited: Nice car but not on same level as White R-Limited, because it didn’t have the underpinnings of the RS-Limited whilst the interior wasn’t to the same spec (black dash, etc.) 500 made.
    • Laguna Blue S-Special: Not really a Limited edition but great exterior colour available only in 1994. Don’t see many around least of all factory original.
    • S-Special 2: Not so much a limited edition but only available in 1995 so warrants a place. The montego blue version is sometimes confused with a RS-Limited given exterior colour and both came with 15’BBS wheels as standard.
    • G-Limited: Mica Satellite Blue paint is always a winner and the suede seats unusual. 1500 made in 1995.
    • SR-Limited- Almost and end of line MK1. Unusual colour but never that popular whilst unlike the JDM limited editions in the main days really only a colour and interior upgrade. 700 made.
    • B2-Limited: like the SR-Limited a bit of an end of line car. 1000 made.

Sometimes confused with limited editions when seen for sale but in my mind more ‘model trims’ as available over a number of years and no limited numbers.

V-Spec: Available in black or BRG with tan interior. Later version with the 1.8 engine often referred to as the type 2.
    S-Special: Available most commonly in black but sometimes in red. Good spec with light-weight BBS wheels, chassis bracing, etc. Becoming more difficult to find these original.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roadsternut For This Useful Post:

Madaboutmx5s (09-02-2019),MikeA (09-02-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I think all the special and limited editions are neat. And that's it's pretty cool Mazda offered so many over the years.

But if anything, I have a higher regard for the more unique paint color offerings of NAs, particularly ones that have survived and are still in great condition. Even if on a base model optioned car.

You can unbolt rare original parts from cars, but not paint.

And I really hold a high regard for cars that have been named, well modded, and loved. Regardless of color. Anyone can buy a factory original special/limited edition car. Only some venture to make a car special themselves. And even fewer succeed.

"Naming something is like breathing life into it. Even metal and plastic can live. If something has been loved by it's owner it acquires a soul."

I don't believe in the supernatural, but I do like the above sentiment.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-02-2019),MaRcOp01o (09-01-2019),MikeA (09-02-2019),oldgrayleather (09-02-2019)

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    I think all the special and limited editions are neat. And that's it's pretty cool Mazda offered so many over the years.

But if anything, I have a higher regard for the more unique paint color offerings of NAs, particularly ones that have survived and are still in great condition. Even if on a base model optioned car.

You can unbolt rare original parts from cars, but not paint.

And I really hold a high regard for cars that have been named, well modded, and loved. Regardless of color. Anyone can buy a factory original special/limited edition car. Only some venture to make a car special themselves. And even fewer succeed.

"Naming something is like breathing life into it. Even metal and plastic can live. If something has been loved by it's owner it acquires a soul."

I don't believe in the supernatural, but I do like the above sentiment.
    Man that brought a tear to my eye haha. And I do believe in the quote you posted and I really felt that when I got the B-Spec. Yeah the car was used and tracked it has its chips and scrapes but it just felt so looked after and cared for and even though it is a rare car it tells a story and it’s very unique and all it’s unique quirks really show it was loved and that it has a certain part about it no other car has.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (09-02-2019)

Drives
    FM2 Turbo Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsternut View Post
    M2-1001 has a nice ring about it, but as a car to actually use, less attractive. The seats are very tight, so for regular use, its gets to be a pain. Some have the ropey manual rack, others are power rack (better) The M2-gauges look nice, but they wobble as much as a 1960s Jag; they are basically motorbike gauges. Tokyo Limited (Autolink has one for sale); I would move down the list, even though its rare, I'd stick alongside the B2s. When you see them, you don't actually really want them. The R2 I think is based on a late S-Special, so mechanically, that makes it similar to the RS (4.300 final gearing, lightened flywheel). B2 is a specced up M-Package, with pretty awful upholstery, so I'd stick that at the bottom. I think most of the SRs ended up white, bit of a dogs breakfast of an interior.

S-Special IIs were available late 1995, 1996 and 1997. Most of the S-Specials sold during this period were IIs (all that meant was that 15" BBS wheels were fitted, 14" BBS wheels were dropped during 1997), in all sorts of colours, including Montego Blue. As these were Phase 2 NA8C cars, they got the thinner carpet, and modified seats. They also got the lightened flywheel, but were fitted with a T2 4.300 Torsens, and the higher compression later engine. Mechanically, very similar to the RS-Limited.

Little known fact; the M2-1002 came fitted with 185/55 15 tyres, a bit skinnier than than the 1001.
    Thanks for the info Andy. You have a high knowledge on MX5s so appreciate you sharing. Interesting what you say about M2 as you had the M2-1002 before. I wonder if I would be left a little disappointed if I had one.

MadaboutMX5s

Instagram
    Facebook

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madaboutmx5s For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (09-03-2019),oldgrayleather (09-02-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast