Thread: BLAUPUNKT offers CLASSIC CAR radio WITH MODERN TECH

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts

BLAUPUNKT offers CLASSIC CAR radio WITH MODERN TECH

BLAUPUNKT BRINGS BACK CLASSIC CAR STEREO CRANKED UP WITH MODERN TECH

Blaupunkt's SQR 46 system blends modern connectivity with 1980s audio style.

Classic car owners may love the experience of driving a vintage machine, but they may also miss some modern conveniences like Bluetooth connectivity when behind the wheel.

Enthusiasts should be delighted to learn that car audio company Blaupunkt is bringing back a fan-favorite solution, only this time, it's gotten with the times. The company revealed the SQR 46, a modern reincarnation of a beloved aftermarket radio from the 1980s. Since it's been more than 30 years since the original's introduction, it comes with a lot of today's technology baked into a retro package. Bluetooth connectivity hides beneath the plastic cover to pair smartphones and other devices, and the cassette tape area actually stores a USB port (the radio has a second port as well), an auxiliary input jack, and a slot for an SD card.

With Bluetooth, drivers of classic cars can make phone calls via their smartphones' connection, and take advantage of conveniences like phonebook downloads and navigation audio mixing. The Bluetooth microphone is external, but that comes with the radio.

The radio will play MP3 and WMA music files via SD card and USB inputs. It will not play Bluetooth music, however. It also has the AM and FM bands, but not satellite radio. The radio can also be programmed to respond to steering wheel controls in cars that offer that capability.

Owners can pick from a few different pre-loaded display colors, use a provided remote control to change things on the fly, and enjoy digital audio broadcasting.

Blaupunkt isn't the only company with a retro-modern radio for classic cars. Porsche owners can purchase a Porsche-specific head unit that even offers an optional navigation screen. Jaguar-Land Rover started selling classic radio conversions with modern technology last year as well.

Right now, it appears the radio is only for sale in Europe with a price of about $500 USD, including a value-added tax, at current exchange rates. We're sure some of the units will make their way into hands and dashboard of North American classic car owners.

Drivers looking for a quality after-market upgrade for their 1980s and 1990s car stereos frequently turned to Blaupunkt, and the German audio manufacturer knows it.

That's why the "Blue Point" has resurrected the classic Bremen SQR 46. The retro head unit has virtually all of the buttons, dials and controls that were found on the original when it was released in 1986 (plus a badass new red display).

But look closely, and you'll see that their functions have changed to match the unit's modern tech. For instance, there's now a DAB+ button that can be pressed to pick up hi-fi digital FM or AM signals. Behind a faux cassette deck cover are SD card and USB inputs to play MP3 and WMA music.

A smartphone can also be connected via Bluetooth to place calls or transmit navigation directions. As Motor Authority notes, Bluetooth can't be used to play music from an external device, but there is an auxiliary input.

You can also program the radio to respond to steering wheel controls. In cars without that capability, an included remote can be used to make adjustments while driving.

Source: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...th-modern-tech

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-10-2019),MLambert19 (09-09-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    That's awesome, but I suspect it comes with an awesome price tag as well. Seeing that Porsche interior, it reminded me of Porsche's own take in such a system.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessori...ghlights/navi/

For Miatas though, I would go with Conti TR7412; not so 80's, but clean enough and reasonably priced as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Rogue (09-10-2019)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Love it.

As a classic BMW fan, a radio like this would be awesome on the dash of any of the former models I've owned. It was a PITA to find a modern-featured, mech-less HU for those cars that didn't look out of place, had correct lighting to match the gauges, and didn't light up like a neon sign at night.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    This has been added to my list of things.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    This is the best stereo system upgrade I ever did:

TWM ITBs

RoadsterTech Stereo Blanking Plate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-10-2019),benpopham (09-11-2019),MikeA (09-12-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Freedom I could not agree more.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Agreed I also enjoy hearing the engine noises vs music which is why I still have my oem radio however I would like mp3 functionality or other new tech with my car.