Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: My name is Zico, and this is my Chaste White NA8 build

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Atlanta Motorsports Park, Turn 6. AMP is about 5-10 minutes closer to me than Road Atlanta.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (08-19-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Yep! I have seen this exact video before! I have not been on AMP but I have heard the stories through the grapevine.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Are these two pics shot at the same corner? Was it one of the oversteer-prone corners that was more problematic? It looks like a downhill right into a rise coming off the apex . There is a similar corner at my home track like that that gives a lot of my students issues.

This is Turn 2. Brake from 95mph down to about 60mph, and take the right hander through turn 2 going slightly uphill towards turn 3. Usually an OK corner, but it was wet that day, had wet patches before and after which you cant see in that specific photo.

This is the 2nd last corner, you could probably flat foot this corner at approx 60mph. Fairly flat corner, no inclination. Not too difficult, was a little damp here most of the day so most people took off a little speed from their entry.

Both of these corners aren't too bad on a dry day. I'm told turn 2 is a crucial for shaving time, its nice and wide there so I can never tell if I'm doing well or not there lol Gotta register more laps via racechrono and figure out where to improve

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-19-2020),MiataQuest (08-21-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

My name is Zico, and this is my Chaste White NA8 build

Honestly, I wouldn’t put a lot of effort into timing your laps. Work on your technique first. Find another experienced driver to ride with you, then with him/her. Note entry/exit speeds at key points. Lead/follow a more experienced driver to see how they move, brake, corner.

I find students become too obsessed with time data and they start to push too hard when they see they are off the pace. It forces errors and distracts them. I can see it just following them or riding with them. When they get anxious or flustered I can tell they are going to spin, put wheels off, etc. the next lap. I will try to calm them down by asking them to tell me what they see and what come next (brief corner description), and I will respond by asking them where they should be for that. It takes their mind off time and gets them to see the track ahead and where to position the car. The speed will come as they start driving future tense in their minds and it gives them the forethought to utilize proper technique.

Otherwise, I’ll make them laugh to get them to relax for a moment.

I will ask students with timing apps or AIM to stow them out of sight. They can look at the times after the session is over.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

zco (08-19-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Steven, appreciate the feedback. Makes a lot of sense. Just sitting with some mates has already taught me a few things. Just need more seat time I suppose!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-19-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Interior update

I finally got around to finishing off my doors. Applied butyl adhesive, slightly deviated from the OEM path as the butyl adheasive was quite thick, didn't want to run the risk of it impeding on the door trim crash pad. New OEM Mazda vapour barriers installed and installed my new Nakamae door trims.

Door trims are genuine leather, with foam padding underneath, does a great job at reducing noise without the added weight of sound deadening. I got the plain, non quilted, pocket delete versions, OEM 94-95 door pulls re-used.

Onto the seats..

These seats are probably my most favourite mod I have ever purchased, for any of my cars. However, they were quite old (11 years to be exact). I didn't even realise my cushions were soft/sagging slightly until I sat in some brand new ones a few weeks ago. There were some tiny stress marks seen in the fabric, which would soon turn into tears/rips, so I took the opportunity to get rid of them. I got pretty lucky and found a buyer that was desperate for some red fixed bucket Recaro's for his newly acquired RX7 FD3S, so desperate, he offered me 90% the cost of a new set. So of course, I jumped at that opportunity and ordered some new ones. They should be here by the end of October, or mid November.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-30-2020),dnaha (09-29-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (09-29-2020),HarryB (09-29-2020),MikeA (09-28-2020),tsingson (10-01-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

More track day preparations

Got three track days booked, figured I should make things a little more practical.

Got some new Ohlins DFV's to try out. Custom spring rates at F 10kg / R 7kg.

Installed shocks before mounting springs to check for clearances and max travel. Recommended settings are OK, but leaves your car at pretty much stock height.

Used my friends Enkei RPF1 with 225/45 RS4's to check clearances.

Full droop at recommended settings

Full compression at recommended settings

Took the shocks back out, fitted the springs on, and pulled out the kitchen scale.

Rear Tein's

Rear Ohlins'

Front Tein's

Front Ohlins'

Roughly 5.2kgs / 11.5lbs saved thanks to aluminium components. Anyway, installed them, put my Watanabes back on, and dropped it on the floor. Took the car for a quick spin to let the springs settle.

What it looks like at recommended settings hahah

My ideal ride height was 4.5" at pinch weld, but that basically left the rear riding on bump stops.

So I came to a compromise and raised it a little. Probably wont be enough travel for the track, but we'll see how it pans out on the day.

Onto the wheels / tyres. Having black wheels made it difficult to inspect for cracks / damage. I sold my black RPF1's off for a new silver set, and took the opportunity to wrap them in some A052's via Australia's distributor for motorsport tyres Gordon Levin Motorsport. They were also bringing in RE71RS, and the first batch to land on our shores is due in a few weeks time. I managed to secure 1 of only 3 sets (205/50R15) landing in October, and none scheduled for November. Fairly excited on that one.. They'll be wrapped on a set of new wheels I've got coming in early November

Anyway, these are now sold

..and here are how 205/50 A052's sit on the new silver RPF1's

On the topic of selling wheels, I actually sold my Watanabe's off as well. There are a few reasons I decided to sell these off. One reason being, the RE71R is discontinued and no tyre shop had any stock of 185/60R14 RE71R. It didn't make sense to keep them anymore, as I'd be struggling to find a decent set of tyres for them after my current set wears out. Found a local guy that had just picked up an NA8 so he was on the hunt for some Watanabes. Another reason being, I can't fit a stoptech big brake kit under it LOL, and I'd want to run those in the future if I decided to do a K Swap or Turbo my car. I'm also running short on storage space as well, having another set of wheels arrive in November meant i'd be in trouble in a few weeks time. I really dont think there are any other wheels that suit NA Miata's better than Watanabes! Bye bye Watanabes

Trackday prep continues..

Swapped out the tow strap for a set of Mazda Competition ones

Setrab oil cooler parts, didn't go for anything too big, figured 10rows was enough for now. Setrab thermostatic sandwich plate, Setrab -10AN fittings, and some some black nylon braided lines.

While the bumper was off, I remove my AC condensor as well, it was the last component of the AC system I had left on the car. Also fitted on new front badge on the bumper while the bumper was off (had it removed prior to paint correction), OEM cooling panel, and new bumper retainer / seals (old one was looking a tad worn. I still want to look pretty whilst trying to go fast )

All fitted

Next up was Frame rails. I put this off because I didn't want to drill holes in my car. However, having come off the track and getting beached on a ripple strip, I figured it'd probably be best to install these to prevent any further undercarriage damage.

Here's a copy + paste review I previously wrote on instagram:

With the increased track use of the car, I bought these purely to protect the underbody from any further damage.

Online reviews say the frame rails stiffen up the car, and I always correlated that to a harsher and more jarring ride, but it was the complete opposite. The car is now dramatically quieter, 80% reduction in rattles / knocks. It feels so comfortable over bumps and turns, and it seems like a much more responsive car. I assume the suspension is working more effectively / efficiently than before.

I wasn’t very impressed with the comfort levels of the Ohlins, but it seems like these rails are allowing me to take the full benefit of them now. The rails are easily in the top 3 mods I’ve done to the car (6spd swap, and Recaros are the other two).

Cost wise, they were almost double the price of some other brands found locally. More than happy to support a company if it allows them to continue to research and develop parts like this.

And that brings me up to date for end of September. My trackdays are booked for October 6th, 19th, and November 4th, so i'll be spending this weekend doing a last minute spanner check, torque wrenching all the bolts, bleeding the brakes and I should be good to go.

Looking forward to updating you guys with some trackday results!
    Last edited by zco; 09-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-30-2020),dnaha (09-29-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (09-29-2020),MikeA (09-30-2020),tsingson (10-01-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Such a great example of a proper NA! The issues with Ohlins and ride height can be resolved with extended top mounts; however I think that the stock Ohlins ones are pillow ball design, and I cannot recall who makes exteded pillow ball top mounts; Cusco maybe?

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Such a great example of a proper NA! The issues with Ohlins and ride height can be resolved with extended top mounts; however I think that the stock Ohlins ones are pillow ball design, and I cannot recall who makes exteded pillow ball top mounts; Cusco maybe?
    Thanks Harry! and yep, have explored all options..plenty available. Some of these may be the incorrect size for the shaft thickness.. or are suited to different diameter springs.

TODA - https://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/pro...lowuppert.html
    Nielex - https://nielex.net/footwork_psa.html
    Maruha - http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/parts/highstrokeupper.php
    Goodwin Racing - https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazd...t/61-1842.html
    Flyin Miata - https://www.flyinmiata.com/default/1...ck-mounts.html

I've actually found a buyer for the Ohlins already, and have my heart set on trying some XIDA/FOX/CRUX coilovers next. No need to link you guys Fox/Xidas but here is some info on the Crux Engineering dampers used by the N1 racers - https://www.murakami-m.jp/part/footwork/crux.html. I had a set on my EK civic, and it has left a long lasting impression.

Regardless, I'll give these Ohlins a go at the next few trackdays and see how I like them. Dont want to sit behind a computer screen and get analysis paralysis. Just have to get out there and drive, hence, booking 3 trackdays lol
    Last edited by zco; 09-29-2020 at 03:33 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-29-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Best way to manage the issue IMO. I have analyzed almost any possible option now; for my needs, Xida XL and FM Fox seem the best options out there. The company that builds the Xida dampers for 949/SM is very highly regarded, and I have not read any bad reviews about them. The Ohlins is definitely a great high-quality option, however, the travel issue is a real problem that is specific to the NA/NB platform. The Murakami seems interesting as well, but I have my mindset on a custom set built around the Bilstein AS2 system I plan to build myself for the fun of it (and because my needs are a bit peculiar; need more of a rally than track suspension, that works well in relatively high ride heights).

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Slampen has the same issue with his ride height and Ohlins on his NA.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Slampen has the same issue with his ride height and Ohlins on his NA.
    I did aswell on my BRG.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (10-01-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Anyone have first hand reviews on Fox / Xida ?
    In the mean time, i've ordered some extended top hats for the rear.

Took the car for a drive today, quite happy at how comfortable the DFV's are after the frame rails got installed

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I have XIDAs and I love them.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (10-01-2020),zco (10-03-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I second what Steven said. It made the car so comfortable for everyday driving. Even the wife enjoys riding in the car now. I haven't had a chance to adjust any of the settings due to not really needing to but I can only imagine it being that much better. I will even go as far as saying when these finally need to be replaced, I won't hesitate in getting another set.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

zco (10-03-2020)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast