Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My name is Zico, and this is my Chaste White NA8 build

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Under the dashboard - Blower box refurb

Whilst the dash was out, I got to work removing the fan blower box as I wanted to restore it.

Notice how brown and greasy the foaming is? I dont know why, but everytime I use the fan, my girlfriend would always comment that my face smelt like grease/oil/petrol. I thought it was the fuel odour leaking from the fuel system, but I replaced everything already (as per previous post in this thread). I have a feeling its grease/oil/fuel vapour thats lingering in the foam/filter inside the blower box. Anyway, the brown foam pretty much disintegrated as soon as I touched it. If you've ever seen fine dust/sand like particles on your dashboard, or small chunks of foam blowing out of your vents, it's because the foam in your blower box has deteriorated.

Got to work removing a few screws and unassembled the entire unit. Cylindrical fan was cleaned, brown diverter flap foam was removed and re-foamed with new grey foam.

And all put back together

I managed to reinstall everything, put the dash back in and made sure everything worked. I was mainly worried about the HVAC selector knobs not being configured properly for each setting, but it all worked out well. No more odours from the ventilation/cooling system! I threw the floormats on as well to finish off the flooring. *excuse the hanging horn button lol

I didn't refit the stereo in, because the tombstone and some other interior bits and pieces are about to come out again. I just needed to piece the car back together so I had a car to drive to work.

I'll be sure to upload more pics when I finish off the interior, most likely on Monday. Nothing major, just minor touches that would put a smile on my face

Thanks for reading everyone, if I ramble on too much, let me know

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (01-31-2020),HarryB (01-31-2020),oldgrayleather (02-21-2020),tsingson (01-31-2020),vote4pedro (01-31-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    This is awesome. Seeing a Kung Fu Jesus approach to it. This will turn out amazing. Keep it up!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (01-31-2020),oldgrayleather (01-31-2020),zco (01-31-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Curious on where you bought the foam kit, and whether it is available for NBs as well. Judging from the sticker on the bag, Maruha?

I have been contemplating general purpose adhesive backed foam as well, but I do not think it would cope well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

zco (01-31-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    This is awesome. Seeing a Kung Fu Jesus approach to it. This will turn out amazing. Keep it up!
    Thanks tsingson! Appreciate the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    Curious on where you bought the foam kit, and whether it is available for NBs as well. Judging from the sticker on the bag, Maruha?

I have been contemplating general purpose adhesive backed foam as well, but I do not think it would cope well.
    Check out post #20 / 21 hehe yeh after opening it yesterday, it’s really nothing special. Just generic foam and double sided tape. Wasn’t cut to size either, so you could really just use any foam from your local hardware store. I think it will be more than fine!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

tsingson (01-31-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Dashboard work - completed

Hello all, me again. Had a bit of time the other day to get my hands dirty again.

After driving the car for a few days, no new rattles or issues came about from pulling the dash out and reinstalling it. All HVAC components that were removed and reinstalled are operating as per normal. The air coming out of the vents is vastly different and fresh compared to before. Safe to say, a successful job done

I finished off the dashboard side of things by changing all the major components I didnt want to scratch with repeat removal/installations, so I saved them until I knew the dashboard reinstall was problem free.

New OEM HVAC panel, 96/97 radio din pocket, 96/97 tombstone, 96/97 hazard/headlight button, and a new cigarette lighter (which was probably the hardest item to install, took me a good 15 minutes to work out how to fit it LOL)

On the driver side of things, a new 96/97 cluster cover and 96/97 meter hood (matte finish). I''m not a fan of the silver rings around the tacho/speedo. I also replaced the steering column cover as the previous owner installed a flashing LED on top for the alarm.

Finished off the driver side with a new black MOMO Prototipo, replacing my old Silver Prototipo. I also got a new Works Bell hub to replace the MOMO hub, as the shrouding on it was slightly warped.

Lastly, some new ventilation louvres, I installed them all, and then had to remove the tombstone again, so ended up damaging two of the louvres as they were soooo tight (new locking tabs on the tombstone hadn't settled/softened yet). Re-ordered another 2 vents this morning LOL

The last piece is the centre console. I don't know if any of you guys have this issue as well, but my shifting arm (left in Australia, right for you guys) is in an awkward shrugging position because the OEM centre console sits too high. I've had some shoulder/neck pain and I thought it was related, so I got my hands on a new JetStream centre console. I also picked up a new shiftboot and 96/97 AUTO window switch.

Practically, its awesome. It allows my elbow to sit at a lower height, my entire left side of my body is relaxed more than the OEM console, but it just doesn't look right. Texturally, it doesnt flow with the OEM panels which bothers me. It's been approximately 2 months now since using the shorty console and I did go and see a physiotherapist a few times as well, he suggested it may be related to how I sit at work, so I have been more mindful and readjusted my posture at work. After treatment, my neck issues have subsided. I am not sure if it was work related or centre console related, so I might throw on the OEM console again to see if the issue reoccurs. I sold off the Jet Stream centre console today.

Here are some photos of the brand new OEM centre console I ordered over a year ago, sitting in storage at the moment.

The interior refresh is almost complete. I need to pull my door trims off to replace the window rollers, and change the door lock springs. While the door is pulled apart, I was looking to install my new external door handles (since the current ones have some dried up wax/polish around the black rubber seals), but I don't want pull the door handles off again (along with the plastic protector and the messy glue that comes with it) when I get the paintwork corrected/coated. It really grinds my gears when I see dried up polish/wax on rubber seals and mouldings, so I want to remove all the lights, mouldings, and door handles first, the paintwork corrected, then install all new replacements for them.

I really wanted to get all the interior sorted at the same time, but looks like the doors will have to wait until I'm ready to do paint correction.

I've got 60 hours of work lined up this week, so probably wont have time to do much to the car. Until next time..

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-05-2020),MaRcOp01o (02-05-2020),MiataQuest (02-05-2020),oldgrayleather (02-21-2020),tsingson (02-05-2020),vote4pedro (02-05-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Ahh, I also found forgot to mention in here that around xmas, I got my TE37's mounted..

These are Mazda Roadster N1 spec sized wheels: 14x6.5 +15. There are 14x7.0 +0 offset wheels that concave as well, but they concave too much for my liking. I removed the old stickers, cleaned the wheels up and stuck on new Rays stickers and black Rays valves stems.

I mounted these on some 185/60R14 Bridgestone RE71R tyres which I ordered back in August 2018 (4 months lead time), and went on a little New Years Eve drive with some friends! Had to make 2 trips to the tyre shop though, couldn't take all 4 wheels home at once haha

They're considerably lighter than the RS watanabes so they'll serve as my track wheels.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (02-07-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (02-05-2020),LagBlu (02-05-2020),MiataQuest (02-05-2020),oldgrayleather (02-21-2020),speedypenguin (02-05-2020),tsingson (02-05-2020),vote4pedro (02-05-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue΄94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Perfect, I love it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LagBlu For This Useful Post:

zco (02-05-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Are the HVAC box and tubes needed to swap an NB dash into an NA8? A friend locally is considering this, he is trying to get a parts list together. I know the dash harness from the NA8 needs to be retained.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Loving the new wheels, they look great on a white NA! Should be quite grippy with the RE71R's.

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Are the HVAC box and tubes needed to swap an NB dash into an NA8? A friend locally is considering this, he is trying to get a parts list together. I know the dash harness from the NA8 needs to be retained.
    The NB heater box is almost identical to the NA unit. I've completed a direct swap without issues. I can only assume that it would make no difference as to which box your friend uses when doing the NB dash swap. Cant confirm what is required for the blower box though

Quote Originally Posted by roadster2 View Post
    Loving the new wheels, they look great on a white NA! Should be quite grippy with the RE71R's.
    Thanks! yeh, the tyres are quite sticky, very noisy though. I've had them before on my last set of wheels so I knew what I was up for

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-06-2020),tsingson (02-13-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Exhaust rattles no more!

Prior to taking the car into the workshop to have all the mechanical work done, I was hearing some rattling noises coming from the exhaust. I think the catalytic converter had collapsed, which would eventually be addressed when I replaced the headers and cat.

After getting the car back, the noise did disappear.... but only for a short period of time. The rattling came back, louder and louder as the weeks went on. I dropped back into the workshop to install a new O2 Sensor that had arrived, and also got my friend to run his eyes over the car again to see where the noise was coming from. It turns out, my O2 sensor wasn't tightened properly and it had loosened up over the last few weeks I must have forgotten to tighten it when we installed the new headers, and we checked the old cat converter which was indeed rattling as well.

Anyway, the rattling was quickly addressed as I ripped the old sensor out and replaced it for a new one

A nice, even, golden browning on the headers (I didn't want to do the alcohol rub for the burnt look, as I'm trying to keep the engine bay simple). Excuse the oil stain between the 2nd and 3rd primaries, it has seen been cleaned lol

On another topic, I recently took the car to a friend of mine who has been doing some paint correction work. He pulled out his paint gauge and readings were between 90-250microns, which is confusing as I had previously thought my paint was sitting between 32-38 microns. I probably got the units of measure wrong last time, but regardless, my friend will be working his paint correction magic on it at the end of May. I'll be taking off all the lights, seals and mouldings before he starts his work on it. Paint correction + ceramic coating to protect the OEM paint on the vehicle. There are some minor rock chips on the front end of the car, which i'll clean up with small dabs of touch up paint. I guess I can't expect too much from a 25 year old vehicle right?

Speaking of old vehicles, my work colleague decided to drive his AE86 to work, couldn't help myself but take a snap!

Last edited by zco; 06-10-2020 at 09:58 AM.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

dnaha (02-19-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (02-20-2020),HarryB (02-19-2020),HMT (12-14-2023),MaRcOp01o (02-19-2020),MiataQuest (02-19-2020),oldgrayleather (02-19-2020),tsingson (02-19-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Recaro ts-gs

Installed some new seats today

Recaro TS-GS

Passenger side (left side) currently makes contact with the door card ever so slightly, driver side (right) is fine. I've purposely been working towards a clean and subtle interior, in order to make these seats be the centre piece of my interior. I removed all items I thought would detract ones eyes away from these seats.. The red hazard button was switched out for a black one, the shorty console was sold off for a new OEM replacement, shift boot was replaced as the old stitching was faded, cluster shroud was replaced to remove the silver rings around the speedo/tacho, steering column cover replaced to remove the red LED bulb, and the silver MOMO wheel was switched out for a black one. I even sourced a OEM Radio delete panel, found in the R2 Limited.

Having the seats installed definitely solidifies the look I was going for. It has Honda Type R vibes. The Chaste White exterior reminds me of Championship White, and the red Recaros are just Honda's signature Type R theme. It did cross my mind to order in some new OEM red carpet, but that would mean I would have to buy red floor mats as well. It works quite well as it is, so I probably wont go down that path. Once a Honda boy, always a Honda boy aye?

All I need now is a black/dark shift knob... any suggestions? I'm currently using JAAS Performance 'Type R' shift knob, which is shaped like a S2000/DC5R shift knob. Would like something similar

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-21-2020),HarryB (02-21-2020),MaRcOp01o (02-21-2020),oldgrayleather (02-21-2020),speedypenguin (02-22-2020),tsingson (02-21-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    94 Laguna/Tan
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by zco View Post
    Installed some new seats today

Recaro TS-GS

Passenger side (left side) currently makes contact with the door card ever so slightly, driver side (right) is fine. I've purposely been working towards a clean and subtle interior, in order to make these seats be the centre piece of my interior. I removed all items I thought would detract ones eyes away from these seats.. The red hazard button was switched out for a black one, the shorty console was sold off for a new OEM replacement, shift boot was replaced as the old stitching was faded, cluster shroud was replaced to remove the silver rings around the speedo/tacho, steering column cover replaced to remove the red LED bulb, and the silver MOMO wheel was switched out for a black one. I even sourced a OEM Radio delete panel, found in the R2 Limited.

Having the seats installed definitely solidifies the look I was going for. It has Honda Type R vibes. The Chaste White exterior reminds me of Championship White, and the red Recaros are just Honda's signature Type R theme. It did cross my mind to order in some new OEM red carpet, but that would mean I would have to buy red floor mats as well. It works quite well as it is, so I probably wont go down that path. Once a Honda boy, always a Honda boy aye?

All I need now is a black/dark shift knob... any suggestions? I'm currently using JAAS Performance 'Type R' shift knob, which is shaped like a S2000/DC5R shift knob. Would like something similar
    The seats look great.

As for knobs, I keep recommending the one I use. REAmemiya made for the FD but works perfectly on our NAs. The outside material is this rubbery stuff that's both grippy and smooth at the same time. And its weighted. Ive used many knobs and its my favorite by a mile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143209032019

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
    '94 M-Edition - Stock - SOLD
    '94 Laguna/Tan - Stock [currently being restored]

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NotableGuest For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (02-22-2020),MaRcOp01o (02-21-2020),tsingson (02-21-2020),zco (02-24-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

Differential

Quote Originally Posted by NotableGuest View Post
    The seats look great.

As for knobs, I keep recommending the one I use. REAmemiya made for the FD but works perfectly on our NAs. The outside material is this rubbery stuff that's both grippy and smooth at the same time. And its weighted. Ive used many knobs and its my favorite by a mile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143209032019

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
    Ahh thanks for the suggestion! Have never seen one before, obviously wasnt looking hard enough hehe still havent decided on a shift knob yet.

I did receive a parcel in the mail over the last few days.

OS Giken Superlock 1.5way LSD. Thanks to marcopolo and his constant track day pics, I think its about time I enjoy the car on the track.

The Brakes and Suspension will actually be addressed next, prior to attending any track days. Once I set a time that I'm happy with, the LSD will be installed and I'll attempt to better that time.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-26-2020),oldgrayleather (02-25-2020),tsingson (02-24-2020)

Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Still trying to figure out if I want to recline it a little more. Might play around with it this week

Cant seem to slide the seat back as much as I'd like to get in and out of the car, unless i raise the seat up. Bottom of the seat fouls on the horizontal part of the rail, might cut it up.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-09-2020),BRGNA8 (02-26-2020),MiataQuest (02-26-2020),oldgrayleather (02-26-2020),tsingson (02-26-2020)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast