Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's build an LE this time!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch gokartn's Avatar
    Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given

Let's build an LE this time!

Hey gents!

I just recently bought another Miata and finally started gathering parts for it. My last car was a chaste white NA6 that got a little loved tap by a Ford ranger. I parted out that car, bought a B8 S4, did some go fast mods, and started craving another roadster! So the S4 is out and the LE is in!

Link to the last build https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

My new to me LE is a nice low mileage example with just 30k miles. My intents with this car are going to be very similar to my white NA, just a nice simple build with some rare parts sprinkled in with reliability always in mind. Im moving to the West coast in the spring and hope to get as many miles on the LE as I can!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gokartn For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-07-2019),CLZinn2 (11-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (11-07-2019),oldgrayleather (11-08-2019),Phatmiata (11-07-2019)

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    First things first for this car was a wheel purchase. I've been wanting a set for as long as I could remember. I had actually bought a set for the white NA two days before it was totalled and ended up selling them before they ever got rebuilt.

Luckily I was able to find another set of Star Sharks that has already been refinished and resized to 14x8 +18. I considered myself incredibly lucky to been given another chance to do it right and immediately hopped on them only days after buying the LE.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gokartn For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (11-07-2019),Cermivelli (11-09-2019),CLZinn2 (11-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (11-07-2019),MikeA (11-08-2019),Phatmiata (11-07-2019)

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    When I bought the LE it was originally in Ohio with a member of this forum, although the car was listed on Miata.net. The seller was incredibly patient throughout the whole process, including giving me almost a month of getting the car registered and titled in my name prior to shipment.

Also, incase anyone is getting ready to ship a car I cannot recommend Montway Motors enough. I shipped through an enclosed truck, and it was a bit more expensive but oh so worth it to make sure I actually got the car in one piece!

I am actually in the middle of a move from Hawaii back to the continental United States for military work with a few months in Florida along the way.

I opted to have the car shipped to California and stored in San Diego with a close friend looking after it and installing some preventive maintenance items. So, the car will rock solid once I get to actually see it in person, roughly four months from now.

I apologize in advance for the inevitable wall of text. I promise there will be PLENTY of photos once my move is done!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gokartn For This Useful Post:

CLZinn2 (11-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (11-07-2019),Phatmiata (11-07-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    So glad to have you back Sean! In a 93LE, no less! So jealous of those spec'd SSR Sharks!! Super stocked to see what is to come!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    So glad to have you back Sean! In a 93LE, no less! So jealous of those spec'd SSR Sharks!! Super stocked to see what is to come!
    Glad to be back! The S4 was definitely not for me at all, a highway monster but not my cup of tea. I'd much rather buy an NA to make my own. I just wish I had held onto more than I did from the last build.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Car looks minty! Congrats! Can’t wait to see what you do with it

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Whoooo boy, some M dot netters ain't gonna like you rolling the fenders on a 30k mile '93LE to fit those Star Sharks. But those people are boring.

Hoping this turns out good.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (11-07-2019),MiataQuest (11-07-2019),oldgrayleather (11-08-2019),Phatmiata (11-07-2019),Sharpie (11-09-2019)

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Whoooo boy, some M dot netters ain't gonna like you rolling the fenders on a 30k mile '93LE to fit those Star Sharks. But those people are boring.

Hoping this turns out good.
    Oh I'm sure someone will have something to say about some rolled fenders. They probably have a complaint once a rollbar gets installed too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gokartn For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-08-2019)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Happy to have more fellow 93LE miata owners that like to tune up there cars, wooo wooo!!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gokartn View Post
    Oh I'm sure someone will have something to say about some rolled fenders. They probably have a complaint once a rollbar gets installed too.

Oh lawd....I can hear gtx popping his fingers now.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

JamieH (11-08-2019)

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Happy to have more fellow 93LE miata owners that like to tune up there cars, wooo wooo!!
    Thanks Randy! Happy to be back.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    '96 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Beautiful car. The Azenis are mounted incorrectly. The yellow dot should be positioned by the valve stem.
    I had my third set mounted Tuesday after I emailed Falken and they said the yellow dot should be positioned by the valve.
    Aloha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Quicksilver For This Useful Post:

Slampen (11-08-2019)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Sean! Great to have you back in an NA but even more excited that you've started your build thread here!! A couple other things..

* thrilled you got a set of Sharks and still thankful you let me get your last set from Barrel Bros! (I don't even have to feel guilty)
    * the only other parts I got from you are in the BRG and don't think the tan would work all that well in an LE (again, guilt free)
    * SD is further south but hopefully we'll be able to get you involved in some of the SoCal/ KINOD Roadster goodness when you're back

Really looking forward to where this inevitably will end up going!

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    Sean! Great to have you back in an NA but even more excited that you've started your build thread here!! A couple other things..

* thrilled you got a set of Sharks and still thankful you let me get your last set from Barrel Bros! (I don't even have to feel guilty)
    * the only other parts I got from you are in the BRG and don't think the tan would work all that well in an LE (again, guilt free)
    * SD is further south but hopefully we'll be able to get you involved in some of the SoCal/ KINOD Roadster goodness when you're back

Really looking forward to where this inevitably will end up going!
    Peter, no need to feel guilty on any of it! Half the love of this for me is finding the car/parts.

Hopefully I end up in SD, as of now that's still a possibility! My wife and I are definitely hoping it stays on the table. Hoping to be able to take part in some KINOD action!

Drives
    90 Red
    Thanks Given
    Currently in New Hampshire for some vacation time with my wife, and I decided to just search for a clean NA to avoid the constant cost of rentals when we come home.

I decided to pick up this lovely 1990 Mariner Blue NA6 with a 10/89 production date. This isn't so much a low mileage pristine example like the 93LE, however is hardly any rust especially for a New England car.

Sadly, I got about 30 minutes into my drive home with it and a crack in the radiator I didn't notice, showed up. Even worse news is that I didn't catch it in time and the head gasket went as well. Shame on me, however, fantastic reason to give the car a very thorough drivetrain inspect/maintenance period.

Also was lucky enough to score some stock mirrors off a very welcoming fellow Smurf! If you can't see it in the first photo, the driver's mirror was held on by a hose clamp, and the passenger one wasn't much better.

Now just to figure out how neglected this car really is, and get it back on the road where it belongs!

Next project will be figuring out why the NB top on the NA doesn't want to fold down fully.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gokartn For This Useful Post:

CollinMB (11-26-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (11-27-2019),MikeA (11-28-2019),oldgrayleather (11-26-2019),tsingson (11-26-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast