Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Retro themed 97 Montego Blue Roadster

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Been nearly 2 months so figured I should update this thread!

The KG Works Gauge Cluster and Revlimiter faces +Jass Performance Caps are now pieced together and I'm super happy with them. One thing that was unusual was that the revlimiter lenses could not be installed as my bezels were glued together instead of being screwed. My current assumption is that KG works have changed the way they make their gauges as I think its unlikely that the previous owner would have gone to the effort of disassembling the cluster and tampering with the bezels. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I've snapped some photos in a rush to give you an idea of how it all looks (excuse the blur in the last pic, I was just keen to update this thread haha).
    Last edited by roadster2; 10-08-2020 at 11:44 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roadster2 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (10-09-2020),HarryB (10-09-2020),MikeA (10-09-2020),oldgrayleather (10-09-2020),tsingson (10-09-2020)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    I’ve always intended to replace my Nardi Steering Wheel. While I think they’re a great looking wheel, I felt the wood colour didn’t match my black interior. On top of that, the 330mm obstructs my lovely gauge setup so I don’t get to look at it as much as I’d like to! The other pressing issue was that it just didn’t feel special to me, maybe it’s due to how common they are…Although I guess it’s like RPF1’s, common but high quality and you can’t go wrong!

So, I began my hunt for a replacement steering wheel over the last 6 months. What was interesting to me was that prices seemed to vary greatly between particular wheels that looked near identical but because one model was rare/limited, the difference would be huge! E.g. A Monte Carlo wheel that had its spokes polished looks near identical to the holy grail expensive M2 1001 wheel, or a $2000 Watanabe falcon steering wheel looks near identical to a $300 Arrigoni Wheel. I guess going by what I’ve just said, it’s fair to say that I’m not a hard-core steering wheel enthusiast.

Unlike with other car parts, finding a steering wheel that I thought looked nice or special proved to be difficult. I felt there was nothing that really stood out(in saying that, there are a lot more steering wheel brands/models out there that I haven’t seen)! I had been looking for a black wheel with preferably polished spokes of some kind but once I came across Pete/Oldgrayleather's instagram which showed his car rocking a Momo x Porsche Design steering wheel, I realised I had to have one.

It would be an injustice to own such a special wheel without knowing its backstory. So what’s the story? In the late 80’s, Porsche Design did everything from watches to eyeglasses to wallets. As the name of the wheel suggests, Momo and Porsche Design ended up collaborating sometime in the 80’s to come up with this piece of art. Research indicates that 450 were made in total so it does fall in the rare category, but still very much attainable. Aside from the unique spoke design, the other design criteria Porsche Design had in mind was to construct a wheel with no visible stitching! This makes the wheel incredibly nice to hold. I believe they did this by having the leather glued on to the wheel, probably costly if I was to ever repair/restore! Fortunately this one is in pretty good nick for its age so I don’t need to worry about that.

I’m yet to install it on the car as I’d like to pair it with a Daikei Hub but I did test fit and thanks to the steering wheel design, there is plenty of gauge visibility. This makes me happy. I also sit pretty close to wheel due to being a little vertically challenged(5 ft 7) but I don’t think the bottom of wheel will come into contact with my thigh fortunately. Anyway enough words, a few more pics for you to enjoy and happy weekend!

120926406_395207901868483_4262334787135072665_n.jpg

120857146_1001469687317674_5530411200152875767_n.jpg

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roadster2 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-09-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (10-09-2020),HarryB (10-09-2020),tsingson (10-09-2020),ueru (10-10-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roadster2 View Post
    Unlike with other car parts, finding a steering wheel that I thought looked nice or special proved to be difficult. I felt there was nothing that really stood out(in saying that, there are a lot more steering wheel brands/models out there that I haven’t seen)! I had been looking for a black wheel with preferably polished spokes of some kind but once I came across Pete/Oldgrayleather's instagram which showed his car rocking a Momo x Porsche Design steering wheel, I realised I had to have one.

It would be an injustice to own such a special wheel without knowing its backstory. So what’s the story? In the late 80’s, Porsche Design did everything from watches to eyeglasses to wallets. As the name of the wheel suggests, Momo and Porsche Design ended up collaborating sometime in the 80’s to come up with this piece of art. Research indicates that 450 were made in total so it does fall in the rare category, but still very much attainable. Aside from the unique spoke design, the other design criteria Porsche Design had in mind was to construct a wheel with no visible stitching! This makes the wheel incredibly nice to hold. I believe they did this by having the leather glued on to the wheel, probably costly if I was to ever repair/restore! Fortunately this one is in pretty good nick for its age so I don’t need to worry about that.

120857146_1001469687317674_5530411200152875767_n.jpg
    Congrats on finding such a nice example, many are missing the horn button (not a standard fit Momo) or the crash pad.

Porsche Design was created by the grandson of the original founder (F.A. Porsche or Butzi, the grandson of the founder). They still exist today but IMHO their heyday were the early years where they were really pushing the design envelope. The first titanium watch and having IWC create the mechanicals. Their sunglasses were made by Carrera and they innovated with design (folding, easily replaceable lenses), materials (the same leather process as the steering wheel for nose pads and arm ends) and exquisite aniline died leather goods. Do yourself a favor and don't go down that rabbit hole ;)

Funny that you spotted the wheel on IG as I had only guessed you saw it here in my build thread.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgrayleather For This Useful Post:

HarryB (10-10-2020),roadster2 (11-01-2020)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456