Thread: CollinMB's Classic Shop Truck

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! CollinMB's Avatar
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given

CollinMB's Classic Shop Truck

As I get deeper and deeper into the hardtop build, I have found the need for a parts hauler. In a bid to not be boring, and also a love for old Datsuns lead me to say "Hey, why not a Datsun Pickup?" Intoducing my 1972 Datsun 521 "shop" truck.
    qB4FxJql.jpg

This is a running, driving, clean title, registered example. It has some rust and some other issues, but is otherwise straight.
    ltIRY4pl.jpg
    I already have a replacement rocker panel and rust converter in the mail. The plan for now is to get the truck a bit more street worthy for the time being and leave as is until the hardtop is done.

After that time, I'm planning a pretty decent build with this truck including a KA24DE swap, disc brakes, and modern lighting and interior.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (02-10-2020),Roadster7 (02-21-2020),Satisaii (02-10-2020),tsingson (02-10-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Aw man, that's a pretty little truck hard to tell on this monitor at work, but are the wheels color matched?

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    They are, they're also not staying on the truck

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given
    I have been thinking about doing this, but with a modern EV swap. The Leaf stuff can be had cheap and will make 300+ hp with a home made controller.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-13-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Jeez thats awesome!!! My dad has 2x 1972 Datsun 510s.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Satisaii View Post
    I have been thinking about doing this, but with a modern EV swap. The Leaf stuff can be had cheap and will make 300+ hp with a home made controller.
    Now that would be an interesting idea

Quote Originally Posted by MaRcOp01o View Post
    Jeez thats awesome!!! My dad has 2x 1972 Datsun 510s.
    Very nice. I always wanted a 510, but couldn't justify it for the prices people want for them now, so a truck that looks like a 510 will do me just fine

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (02-11-2020),tsingson (02-11-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Update Dump Time:
    So I was hoping I would have more updates, but one step forward, 2 steps back with a project like this. So over the last week, I've been working on getting body panels straightened and leaks proofed. First up, the seam sealer around the edge of the truck was no longer doing it's job, so it need to be replaced.

Out with the old:
    XoTvqzUh.jpg
    New:
    2HlSWTth.jpg

It's not the prettiest, but I only really care that it does it's job.

Next up, a common problem with these trucks is the hoods tend to separate from the structural skeleton and bend at the corners. All the factory panel bond had rotted and needed to be replaced.

Said hood corner(s):
    c4NPqqVh.jpg
    removing 50 y/o glue:
    NC1WxdBh.jpg
    Re-bonding:
    KgvRDYBh.jpg

Not wanting to just fix things, but also make them better, I cleaned all the rust and dirt and grime and added some sound/heat/vibration/rust prevention spray as well:
    4kpuvpEh.jpg

Other jobs I worked on, but don't have pics for include going over every bit of rust I could find with converter/preventer, straightening out the bent grille, and started cleaning out the interior.

Other jobs I started but need to be wrapped up are installing new seat belts (need to make some brackets), installing a new rear-view mirror (need the right glue), and I switched all the dash lights to LED's.

This has lead to what my next big project will be; making a new cabin harness. Unfortunately, as old cars go, and lazy/naive owners before, there are a lot of wires either haphazardly connected, electrical taped, or just straight cut. I will be pulling it and replacing the harness with brand new wires and connectors.

Stay Tuned

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

Roadster7 (02-21-2020),tsingson (02-21-2020)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    91 BRG (RIP 91 SR20 Autech Miata)
    Thanks Given
    Datsun 521's are very cool. VERY small also. the shop my Miata is in has a 521 awaiting a Miata suspension and SR20.

Here's a truck that was at 2017 JCCS to give you some inspiration

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-21-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Yea, that truck has been featured on Super Street before. Probably (or maybe) not going to go that crazy on the details. I am planning to do similar stuff to mine, but I still want to use it as a truck and not worry about being rough with it.

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Some updates:
    So no surprise with such an old truck, not everything is working. In an effort to start narrowing down I made the bold decision to replace the wiring harness. First up was the ancient tube fuse system:
    ishBIELl.jpg
    Lovely isn't it?

New:
    dfK0Iobl.jpg
    Replaced it with a modern blade style fuse box. This is not the final position and wiring, but it works for now.

Next up, the cabin wiring harness:
    VQAIDfRl.jpg
    IFD9zKml.jpg
    Not the final install as I still need to tuck it behind the dash and trim up some longer wires, but... it works!

So issues I still have.
    1. Parasitic drain
    2. Reverse lights staying on
    3. Blinkers not working
    4. Headlights not working
    5. Cabin fan not working

So it's fairly obvious that I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I was planning to switch gears and move back to working on the hardtop, but between self-quarantine and on and off rain, it looks like that'll have to wait. Next up, I'll be pulling the dash and removing everything that's not currently working and going through and checking the contacts and such to see what I can fix

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-24-2020),oldgrayleather (03-23-2020),tsingson (03-24-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Big update dump time:
    wGq9Fxll.jpg

Almost everything is working again. Last two items on my list are fix the cabin fan motor and pull the reverse switch.

I was able to get the dash out:
    SV3eHb2l.jpg
    1UfBlizl.jpg
    Only snapped 3 rusty bolts -__-

It was pretty crusty and not the most fun thing to take apart. In two:
    P81kGFMl.jpg
    Rust converted, prepped, and painted:
    ijfqQvHl.jpg
    I have an abundance of gloss black, and I'm not seeing this area again. The crappy vinyl that was added on was hiding a fun past as well:
    zAP4JAzl.jpg
    NIaTlXCl.jpg
    this is the after pic. It had some fat craters in the foam, so I worked on filling them with new foam. I was planning on re-wrapping the dash anyways. I also painted the back of the lower section of the dash. I still need to prep and paint the front side of the dash (flat black, not gloss though).

Next was the "while you're here" decision to start pulling apart the cabin heater. Ahem:
    fWrtalQl.jpg
    It appears the outside air vent was never cleaned out. I pulled the vent box, cover and fan and vacuumed everything out and went back through and hit it with rust converted. I gave the rest of the cabin a full vacuum and clean down while I was at it.

Last up, got my seatbelts installed:
    Doc3ALUl.jpg
    rN3An2Bl.jpg
    Had to fab up a couple of metal brackets to add an extra mounting point of the seatbelt retractor.

I also trimmed up my harness to make it more neat and worked out a bunch of the electrical gremlins. The headlights, blinkers, dash lights, and (half) the hazards are working again. The last of the electrical is seeing if I can salvage the cabin heater fan pulling the reverse switch. I also need to order new material for the dash, fix the glovebox, paint the front of the lower dash, and get new hardware to get it back together. I also need to hit the heater panel and inlet box with some paint before they go back in. Things are coming along though.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

HarryB (03-31-2020),kung fu jesus (04-10-2020),oldgrayleather (03-31-2020),tsingson (04-01-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Time for an update!

I pulled the heater and cleaned it up and got it working again (surprisingly). Cleaned up the rust and threw it back in along with the vent:
    hofAKgVl.jpg
    I didn't like how the mirrors were sitting, so I measured the angle and got to work on some 3D prints:
    kGfMtusl.jpg
    Much better:
    mP04Ylil.jpg

Another thing that was bothering me was the ugly rear bumper, so:
    rRYQkt5l.jpg

Finally, I got the remainder of the materials to finish up the dash. First up, reinforced the glovebox with an overkill amount of fiberglass inside and out:
    PGMUUEpl.jpg
    It may look like ass, but it's strong AF

Next, to even out the surface of the dash, added some foam:
    nVXZwrpl.jpg
    and then some Suede:
    JHolBPfl.jpg
    Back in:
    qCrLM9gl.jpg

Still dealing with a few electrical gremlins, but getting closer and closer to being finished. At least by the time quarantine is done, this thing will be rebuilt enough for me to comfortably drive it around

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

HarryB (04-08-2020),kung fu jesus (04-10-2020),MiataQuest (04-20-2020),Paul B (04-11-2020),tsingson (04-10-2020),Vegard (04-08-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    A few updates before the first drive. First up, the Miata hardtop has retaken priority as was my plan. You can see that update on my car build thread or in detail in the "official" build thread.

In an unplanned move, an item popped up on the marketplace for a deal I couldn't pass up:

First gen Dapper Lighting 575's. I had wanted to get some projectors, but it was far down my list. These were listed for way less than retail, so I (a bit drunkenly) jumped on the deal. The install was fairly straightforward, the only thing I did need to do was trim up the headlight buckets:

Not too bad, just a couple of notches on either side to clear the mounting hardware.

Installed:

They look great, the only unfortunate thing is I couldn't test them out due to not being happy with the fuse panel, so I ordered a new one and it hasn't arrived yet. I also need to wire up the halos, but I'm not going to worry about it for now, especially since I need to take them back apart.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CollinMB For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (04-20-2020),HarryB (04-20-2020),tsingson (04-20-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Oh, these look nice!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

CollinMB (04-20-2020)

Drives
    2016 Ceramic Metallic ND
    Thanks Given
    Long time, no update, update:

The truck has been sitting for the most part as I have been working to try and get the hardtop project closer to finished. I have been doing some updates though. First up:

Wired up the running halos to come on when the key is turned.

Then I took it to the car wash and got it cleaned up, including a thorough clay bar and wax:

After that, I got around to installing the tonneau cover I picked up at the same time when I got the headlights:

It sat for a while before I got around to getting some new taillights. I may have bought the wrong ones:

I also replaced all the running lights with LED's while I was at it.

Caught up to this weekend. I finally was able to get rid of the horrible mini-truck club rear window:

I also started ordering parts to do a major engine to rear axle maintenance, when I noticed this:

My carburetor was just spewing gas, so a carb rebuild kit was ordered as well.

Beyond those updates, I also ordered a new set of wheels and a new headlight harness. Safe to say I'll be busy with projects for a while to come.