Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MAINEly MX-5's

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    I feel I need one, even when car is otherwise stock.....
    Only downside I see are tunnels...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power MLambert19's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 LS3 R.I.P. 1990 Donor Chassis in Progress!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    That is a great product idea for a need/market I was not even aware it existed!
    Yep! All these "newfangled" cars are all electronic, where lots of old ones were cable-driven speedometers. It's a great product, if not a little pricey ($350). But, will be well worth it once I get the rest of my gauge cluster pieces installed... I'm really looking forward to sharing that one with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slampen View Post
    I feel I need one, even when car is otherwise stock..... Only downside I see are tunnels...
    Not many tunnels here in Maine, and certainly no length to them. It did really screw me up in Boston once though! Trying to navigate via GPS and not knowing which tunnel exit to take is pretty nerve-wracking!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    In an effort to put power to the ground, I went with one of a handful of 15x9" wheel possibilities: 949 6UL's. I'd prefer a Panasport/Watanabe style wheel, but have yet to find any off-the-shelf options in 15x9 or 15x10. The combination of light weight, reasonable price, and great fitment made the 6UL's a pretty easy choice for me. I opted to get them finished in Beryllium, although Tungsten was a close 2nd.

949 6UL.jpg

Shod in 225/45R15 Toyo R1R's in 200TW, if I can't put power to the ground, at least I can cheaply replace them! Tires are only $150/each, which isn't hardly any more than the much smaller Dunlop Direzzas I had on my 1994R. I'm also running a square setup (15x9 with 225's at all 4 corners) so I can rotate them Front-to-Back, which will hopefully help with tire life.

ToyoR1R.jpg

My fenders needed a mild roll, but everything clears. I've since brought the suspension up a bit, and may raise it up even further (my road has washed out twice this year, and the sound of rocks banging off the undercarriage is almost as bad as nails on a chalkboard).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-12-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (07-26-2020),HarryB (07-26-2020),MiataQuest (08-13-2020)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Randy said I need to post some updates... so here's a tidbit.

I wanted the exhaust to be a single-outlet, relatively mild, and needed it to work with a Cannon rear subframe brace. I was originally quoted $900 for all stainless, 3", TIG with a single muffler. My only additional inputs were to V-Band the muffler by the cannon brace for easy maintenance, and the largest MagnaFlow stainless muffler they could fit. I just looked for the Magnaflow part number in my conversation history, and unfortunately can't find it.

Al at V8R contracts the exhaust work out, and while the shop that did the work gets great (online) reviews, they really screwed up my plans to use the car on my last trip to Florida by not getting it done in a remotely timely manner, and they then proceeded to bill me nearly double, asking for half the money up front. That shop, in case you're wondering, is SRPerformance in Daytona. Would not recommend. I'm still fighting with them and over the bill, and the fact that my father tried to get them to fix the exhaust several times while the car was still in Florida before being shipped to Maine.

In hindsight, I'd tell anyone to just buy the Flyin' Miata (made by Thermal R&D) exhaust. I would have forfeited the Cannon brace, but I could have had a shop cut and downturn one of the duals just forward of the bumper.

...and I'm trying really hard to get pictures to work, to no avail. I'll try to attach them another time, I guess.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLambert19 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-12-2020),MiataQuest (08-13-2020)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Use Flickr man, its super easy to use and free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234