Thread: Miata #4, nugget MSM

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch
    Thanks Given

Miata #4, nugget MSM

Hi everyone... Figured I might try also try a build thread Starting with some background; this is my 4th one - started off with a ‘97 M edition ~10 years ago (gosh, times fly!), then moved onto a 04’ Ti MSM and finally ended up with a 10AE. Along the way had lots of fun and met some truly wonderful people.
    After selling the 10AE little over four years ago I had a 987 base Cayman for a couple years which I sold last year and ever since then been itching to get back in the Miata game. One evening while randomly browsing CL saw an ad from a VR ‘04 MSM. Seller had the most detailed and honest logbook I’ve seen, the car had some decent add-ons and was priced right.
    Details:
    - ~115k miles
    - peeling clear from SoCal sun aka why it’s a nugget
    - full FM exhaust
    - frame rails
    - frog arms
    - AEM intake, MBC
    - FM drain check valve
    - TE37 (16”, unfortunately, but they’re starting to grow on me)
    - coilovers

First order of business was to seek alternate seats. I absolutely hate the leather MSM seats as I sit way too high (joys of having a long torso). UK Miata parts came to the rescue with cloth NB2 seats as well as steering wheel that’s in better shape. With some foamectomy the cloth seats allowed me to sit a decent bit lower and they’re also significantly more supportive than the leather seats.

Steering wheel before/after

Shout out to UK Miata parts for fast shipping and excellent prices. They were also quick to resolve an shipment issue and sent me a replacement drivers side seat that was damaged during transit.

Next was removal of some previously installed add-ons. Out came the MR short shifter and the coilovers installed by the PO. I must be the minority here but I prefer the OEM shift feel and have not had issues missing gears with any of the 6 speeds I had.

In came some shiny orange bits. My goal on this car is to keep it OEM+ and XIDA XL’s with the “comfort” springs fits that perfectly. Ride quality is superb and with increased ground clearance I don’t have to worry about scraping on driveways or speed bumps. Also following Supermiata’s recommendation installed the stock sways front/back.

First drive after installing the new suspension - she might look shiny from a distance but paint really needs help. I still need to play around with ride height a bit as front is sitting a tad higher than rear. I also replaced the window guides with teflon ones and applied some Second Skin Audio damplifier on the door panels to fix the rattles. Added a boot cover as well which helps protect the cloth top from UV damage and eliminates the rattles from top when it’s down.

Next steps is to address some deferred maintenance. PO had changed the TB ~30K miles ago but I guess the shop who did the work did not bother to replace the front seal as the front of the engine is gross. Have TB, WP and seals waiting to go in along with Supermiata long clutch line + master/slave kit. Original stock radiator does not have much life left in it and after waiting for months for the FM cross flow radiator to be in back stock I gave up and ordered a CSF radiator from Supermiata and the FM coolant re-route with the MSM specific turbo lines.

The NB2 cloth seats turned out to be temporary as I found another pair of seats I’ve been eyeing for sale locally soon after I got the NB seats. Right now the car is at a friend’s shop getting custom brackets made for the new seats and I’ve also asked him to seam weld the door openings. Had that done in the 10AE and was pleasantly surprised with the added stiffness. Hope to get the car back in next couple weeks so I can keep myself busy during the shelter in place period.
    Last edited by newoldm; 06-06-2020 at 02:52 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-25-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (04-26-2020),MiataQuest (04-26-2020),oldgrayleather (04-26-2020),speedypenguin (04-26-2020),tsingson (04-26-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Nice car and parts! You may be the only one I know that had FM Fox and Xidas back to back on the same car, so I would really value your feedback on these, as they are both potential alternatives in my book (and my needs seem similar to yours!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-26-2020)

Thanks Given
    Thanks! It’s hard to make an apples to apples comparison as spring rates were different between the two: 550/350 for Fox and 300/200 for XIDA’s. Where I live (SF Bay Area) back roads are utter crap and I try to get away with least spring rate I could. With the standard spring rate on Fox shocks there were some cringe worthy moments if I hit big potholes or expansion joints; played a bit with damping and couldn’t find a happy medium. Maybe with softer spring rates Fox would have worked just as well but to be honest I did not bother to spend too much time as I had the XIDA’s waiting to go in. Had XIDA race (back then they were called just XIDA’s) on my 10AE so knew what to expect and the added length on the XL’s is a welcome bonus for more DD friendly ride heights.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-09-2020),tsingson (04-26-2020)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Glad to see you back in a Miata! Hope you are staying safe in the Bay Area SIP. And hope we may have a chance to meet up again!
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

newoldm (04-27-2020)

Thanks Given
    Thanks!! Definitely...

Thanks Given
    Car is still at friend’s shop and sent me some pictures of the stitch welding he’s been doing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (05-09-2020),MiataQuest (05-04-2020),speedypenguin (06-06-2020)

Thanks Given
    Progress on the new seat brackets.. First off, measurements on the stock seat: it’s 1.25 inches off center

New one is perfectly centered, level and sitting a good bit lover.

Passenger seat aligned with drivers side; I’m so glad to have a fabricator friend with my level of OCD 😂 Waiting on last bits of metal to arrive and final welding and car should be ready for pickup soon. Can’t wait to drive it again!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (06-06-2020),speedypenguin (06-06-2020),tsingson (06-07-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    So are the seats hard mounted? Either way I'm impressed you got them centered w/o trans tunnel work.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Thanks Given
    Yes, they’re hard mounted as I’m the only driver And I wanted proper positioning and maximum lowering. It helps that these seats are so narrow so there is room to move them around to fit.

Thanks Given
    Got the car back and the new seating position feels so much better. First up is some clean-up and maintenance...

Started off with a yucky bottom..

Can’t have that, this is a little better..

Replaced engine mounts which were surprisingly difficult to do by myself - passenger side is same as as any NB but drivers side was a good puzzle and wobble extension and a pry bar was essential.
    Mounts were definitely due for replacement: right is old, left is new

This set is a lifesaver, well worth the cost. I also swapped the downpipe to a CARB legal one from FM and added an AEM wideband sensor

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

MiataQuest (07-05-2020),speedypenguin (07-04-2020),tsingson (07-10-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Great progress so far! Any precautions to take before stitch welding?

Thanks Given
    Thanks! My fabricator friend did the welding at his place and I wasn’t around but I was present when I had another local guy stitch weld the door frame on my old 10A and the wasn’t much prep needed. Remove paint, disconnect battery and fire up the welder. The last one MIG so I’m sure he covered up the interior to avoid damage.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to newoldm For This Useful Post:

zco (07-13-2020)