Thread: Which sway bar? Which front shock tower brace? Rear shock tower brace or not?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given

Which sway bar? Which front shock tower brace? Rear shock tower brace or not?

I'm trying to pick sway bars and I don't know which to buy Flyn' Miata or Racing Beat? They make the bars differently (or at least the add's say so). The Racing Beats are red and go with my paint scheme and they have the (stops or flanges) so the bushing will not slide (to one side anyway) and then there's the Flyin' Miata bars are Hot Formed, a little thicker when comparing to RB's Street bars and they have adjustment holes in the front of the bar which the RB's do not. I want "the Best" preforming bar, not just aesthetics. As for the shock tower brace I currently have a 3 point Cobalt but can't add a master cylinder brace because the mounting flange is too thick and the connecting studs do not have enough threads to add anything. I am thinking of buying a Flyin' Miata shock tower brace and adding a JASS master cylinder brace, but before I do, I thought I'd throw it out there to see if there is a better shock tower brace. As far as the master cylinder brace (I think) DAVEFAB is the best, but they don't make them for left hand drive, so JASS is my runner up because I'll be able to switch to a Wilwood master cylinder. Also Flyin' Miata says rear shock tower braces are not needed as there is enough rigidity there now. What are the thoughts on that? I'd rather not move my spare tire anyway. Thanks!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    The front bars from either manufacturer are fine, except the RB hollow bar (it’s too much rate for most, causes more understeer in most cases). I highly recommend swaybar blocks from RB the prevent the front bar from tearing out the stock front swaybar mounts. They work with any front bar. Adjustable swaybar links are helpful for the front to relieve binding.

For the rear, the Mazdaspeed Miata bar is all you need.

STBs...3 points offer triangulation and better rigidity. I wouldn’t worry about the cylinder brace.

Agreed, rear STBs are worthless on these cars.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

CLZinn2 (06-10-2020)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Steve. Yes I do plan on reinforcing my front swaybar mounts as well as using billet swaybar bushing mounts . Flyin' Miata says the firewall is not strong so the 3 point mounting for the STB is useless. I know for me it made a HUGE Difference in the way the car handles. Having said that I never had a 2 point STB, so I have nothing to compare to.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Slampen's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    I find the cylinder brace making a big difference in the brake pedal feeling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slampen For This Useful Post:

CLZinn2 (06-14-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    You can accomplish the MC bracing function by welding a plate with a threaded nut on the brace itself; like the Mazdaspeed RHD 3-pt braces did. For the rest I agree with Steve

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

CLZinn2 (06-14-2020),kung fu jesus (06-13-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I consider doing that to my Beat Rush STB, it’s just not a big priority to me.