Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris' Nissan Micra K11 v3

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given

Chris' Nissan Micra K11 v3

I hope you don't mind me posting this here

Although the R34 will never be 'finished' I've reached a point where I can't do much else without spending a tonne of money. I cant tinker with it like I'm used to with other cars,because its reliable (how dare a car be reliable! haha). The next stage is the engine upgrades and thats gonna cost between 5-6k

I'll copy and paste the build thread up till now. We've owned it for about 6 weeks so luckily there isn't much reading.

​Déjà vu...

My very first car was a green 1.0L pre-facelift K11. I had the bumpers and bootlid smoothed, badboy bonnet, Cobra bucket seats and a set of 15" alloys. All was well until an RTC (road traffic collision) ended its life. Here's a photo of it in its prime

I then moved on red 1.3L facelift which I owned for 5 years. This was my first 'full' build, the parts list is faar too long to list. In the end the clutch needed changing,cross member replacing and it needed a respray. Approaching 21 I wanted something quicker, thats when my attention turned to MX5s.

The car received two magazine features, Total Nissan and Banzai Magazine

Me and Lu (my other half) were chatting awhile back, talking about how much we missed the red Micra, how we wanted a car that we could (ab)use and not worry about getting scratched or dented.

We found this 2002 Facelift Facelift K11, 998cc with a whopping 58bhp of untamed power (sarcasm). Being a Vibe trim its extremely basic, I'm not even bothered about the manual windows, tin top roof, no AC or anything else

Overall its in pretty decent condition for 65k miles. The odd scrape, dent and mark. Some attention will be needed on the N/S RR arch as it's bubbling and heading towards the sill corner. The sills themselves and cross member are very clean which is a bonus. Although don't let the photos mislead you, the car is very pink

It serrrriously needs lowering, mainly to reduce the horrendous body roll.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-08-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (07-22-2020),kung fu jesus (07-07-2020),tsingson (07-07-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    ​On the previous K11 I had some DTM mirrors fitted with what seemed to be one of the very few sets of base plates in existance. Having failed at finding them again I was on the hunt for alternatives. I came across a website which had a large selection of photos of mirrors and I came across VW Golf MK3 base plates which looked very similar. A friend had some M3 style mirrors and baseplates for a Golf, a quick test fit confirmed I could do something with them to make them fit.

Abit of cutting and drilling and these were the results. Not a 100% fit but they're pretty close

Finding some wheels that suited the car and being cheap seemed a tricky task. Doing a search on google,Facebook and the forums I came across some examples of BMW E30 14" bottletop wheels. I managed to find some locally for a total sum of £40.00, winner! A friend is currently sand blasting them then I can get them painted. Originally we thought white, but the spoke design would make keeping them clean a nightmare. The second choice was a gun metal grey, silver may be too plain/boring.

Also found a set of 185/55r14 locally from a friend which saved us alot of money

With all of the parts finally arriving, it was time to finally lower the car. Alot of people tend to go with Corsa B coilovers, but I didnt like the idea of drilling/filing the top mount holes on the car. So we went for the Daewoo Matiz set up instead.

This compromises of Mk1 Daewoo Matiz 35mm lowering springs (rear only) on front K11 shock absorbers. The rears are Corsa B KYB shocks with 're-engineered' K11 lowering springs. I've read of people complaining about the rear springs being too soft if you use the originals, thats why we went for lowering springs instead.

I ran into some issues along the way, sadly it wasn't all plain sailing. Firstly the driver side inner CV joint popped out. Secondly the upper nuts on the rear shocks wouldn't undo due to the centre spinning in the locking grips. In the end I cut the shock to get them out, made abit of a mess in the boot (oops). The last thing was the collar from the original panhard rod was seized on the car and took alot of grinding to get it right.

Browsing through the Facebook pages and market place and I found a universal back box made to fit the K11. Being quite impatient I drove almost 2 hours to go collect it. Being a second facelift the rear bumper doesnt really have an exhaust cut out, so the backbox sits lower than the others which made fitting it that little bit more tricky. But we got around it and my bumper cutting even surprised me!

I also made a start on painting the chrome and faded plastics, starting with the bonnet grilles and fog light covers.​

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-08-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (07-22-2020),kung fu jesus (07-07-2020),tsingson (07-07-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    ​Its been a busy few evenings working on the car. The lower trims and corner bump strips got painted gloss black to match the grilles and fog light covers

The 14" BMW Bottletop alloys finally received a coat of paint. One of them isnt the great of conditions so I'll be on the look out for another one in the future but for now it'll be fine. A friend sand blasted them for me and I used Holts Simoniz Wheel Steel paint for the colour

The BMW centre bore is 2mm smaller, so my options were to get them machined or use spacers. I had a pair of 3mm and 6mm spacers in the garage so I went with this route.

The interior has been stripped, the front door cards will stay on until the new flat aluminium ones are made

You may have noticed the seats have changed. We've also fitted some Almera GTi seats

The front two mounting holes line up spot on. The rear outer mount requires a plate welded on and a new hole drilled. The rear inner mount uses the OEM Almera bracket which needs trimming and drilling in the centre to line up with the OEM Micra mounting hole on the transmission tunnel.

I forgot how crap the DTM mirrors are for visibility (but they look cool). To help improve this a friend kindly donated a 5 panel wink mirror for the build. It takes some getting used to but its a vast improvement

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    ​Small update

With the interior stripped and the sun visors replaced with the 5 panel wink mirror, it got quite dangerous when it came to driving during sunset. A friend helped me fit a sun strip which should solve this issue

I decided to make a DIY front splitter made from garden edging, the idea came from a Mighty Car Mods video. Originally it was riveted on but the bottom edge was too wavvy. So I made some aluminium plates to go behind to give it some rigidity, for it to still be wavvy. **** it it can stay like it lol

In the end I had to use stainless M6 bolts because the holes opened up too much for replacement rivets

I was on the search for some MG/Rover side skirts to modify to fit, mainly because I knew what they looked like on the car but the cheapest pair I could find was £65 shipped. Thats when a friend contacted me after she saw a facebook status of mine, saying don't buy any she may have some in the garage. After a search she found a pair of Civic EK skirts she said I could have for free, winner!

I cut about 6" off the front and kept the sweeping edge just like the original fitment on the civic. With the skirt flipped upside down, I then had a flat edge to use to mount against the sill. The passenger rear arch that has the damage now requires more work. I was tapping the sill to see where the solid metal was and my finger went through.....oops! Luckily the skirt hides the hole for now, I'm waiting for a friend to give me a quote for the arch to be cut out and another welded in its place, along with the sill.

With the front and sides now sitting lower, the rear bumper needs something to match. I remembered a Seat Ibiza Mk2 Facelift front splitter follows the shape/lines of the rear bumper really well, as I first discovered it on the previous car. It seems these are harder to come by nowadays but luckily my local dealer can still supply them new. That'll come a little later as I've got other things I'd like to do first

When I purchased the E30 bottle top alloys they only came with 2 centre caps. I managed to find 3 more for the grand sum of £20 posted, so those were sprayed and some monochrome BMW badges were fitted to finish them off. If the wheels didnt have BMW in the casting we would have gone for something else, I quite like them with the 'proper' badge.

Another Facebook bargain was an S13 HKB steering wheel boss for £20 posted. I wasn't planning on changing the steering wheel so soon but at that price I couldnt turn it down. I couldnt have the boss just laying around un-fitted so I borrowed a Nardi wheel from a friend's Impreza GC8 that he had spare. Its not the cleanest of wheels but it'll be fine until we buy our own

I couldn't find a full set of matching counter sunk bolts so i had to improvise with some normal M5 bolts

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-08-2020),CollinMB (07-06-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (07-22-2020),kung fu jesus (07-07-2020),tsingson (07-07-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Dam this looks so cool! The E30 Bottlecaps look surprisingly good!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (07-07-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    The first update in this post isnt very exciting but it's one of those little jobs that needed sorting.

With the Almera GTi seats fitted, the stock fuel/boot release lever wouldnt fit next to the seat. I relocated it to the opening behind the seat where the rear door card would have been and made a bracket to support it.

There's probably a way of mounting it nearer the front, but for now it'll do

With the interior stripped it was time to address the front door cards. The fabric had started to lift from the backing (its incredibly thin, I'm surprised its lasted this long). The bulky door pockets and handle didnt suit the theme of the car so something had to be done.

On the previous K11 build and my first MX5 I made my own carbon fibre door cards, which turned out quite well. One thing I've took forward from the MX5 version, is to reuse the top crash pad. This still makes the doors flow into the dashboard and finishes off the doorcards nicely.

Keeping things on a budget, I went with 1.5mm aluminium which was supplied by a friend at a very good price (2x 1200mm x 600mm sheets for £37.00). Fixings were 4mm and 4.8mm rivets (only because I ran out after doing one door, oops). Unfortunately they've suffered some damage from the file,angle grinder and rivet gun (passenger side is the worst).I'll probably cover the marks with some stickers to cover them up until I can re-do them

The day we got the car we talked about the route it would go, taking heavy inspiration from the previous build (not wanting a replica). We decided to go with a Kanjozuku theme, which is ironic because it struggles to get upto the national speed limit let alone any form of late night activity haha

The first thing was a window net, easier said than done on a budget. You can buy 'proper' mounting kits, but majority of them attach to a roll cage. Thats where I had to adapt and use inspiration from other cars whether its track, auto cross, rally or drag.

For starters, I ordered the net too big. I say too big, its the correct width but because the door curves quite alot towards the A pillar the top is too long. I made 3x L brackets rivetted to the door/doorcard with a hole on the other side. A piece of 6mm round bar cut to length is fed through the brackets and net and is secured on by an R clip either end. The top is alot less 'engineered' by using an elastic bungee cord. I cut down a P clip and mounted it in the middle, this stopped the bungee cord sagging in the middle

The rear received similar treatment with a TRS helmet net I had saved from the last car. I bolted 40mm D-Rings to where the door cards would have been which gave the anchor points for the net. The rest is pretty self explanitory

Lastly for this update is splitting and painting the headlights

With the headlights removed it was time to split them. Alot of people use the oven but I went with a heat gun instead, mainly because I have a little bit more control With the glass lenses removed the insert popped off and the orange indicator lens was removed too.

Its made such a difference to the overall appearance, its definately a must do modification for all K11s

Just need to paint the badge on the bonnet now and the front end is pretty much done. What about some canards? lol

I've got some chrome bulbs on order to get rid of the orange completely

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-04-2020),MaRcOp01o (07-15-2020)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Looking good! I would try and do the doors in some textured black ABS instead, as I hate burning my arm against metal

Does an SR16VE fit in there?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lucmor444's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver 1996
    Thanks Given
    Or simply wrap the door cards?

I reckon skip the canards as I like the 'smooth' look it currently has.

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Here's quite a large update

Gizfab X Brace installed

Another item from Gizfab was one of their Devil Wings. This was something I wanted to fit as soon as we got the car and would help with the Kanjo look.

Browsing FB marketplace and eBay every day for a new steering wheel started to get tedious. I ended up posting a FB status and a friend messaged me saying he's got a 300mm OMP wheel for sale. Although it's slightly smaller than I was looking for, its quite nice to drive with. Also managed to get some rev counter clocks so installed those at the same time

I had a pair of K11 March number plate lights hiding in my garage for awhile so it was time to fit them. The original boot handle holes will get welded when the NSR arch gets repaired, for now some tape will do

You may have spotted the new rear lip. After struggling to find a Seat Ibiza splitter to copy the last K11, I needed to find an alternative. A friend breaks and builds Volvos and he had a 940 lip spare. Some chopping about later and it fits surprisingly well

Filled the passenger door card with some stickers to cover up the damage

I noticed the boot spoiler had started to catch on the roof, despite no signs of catching when we originally fitted it.

I measured up the overall length of the gas struts and searched through a supplier's book at work to see what would fit. It seems K12 struts are 50mm shorter and should do the job.

Theres less head room now with the boot opened, but the spoiler no longer catches, thats something I can live with

Another item on my to-do list was to change the tail lights. Alot of people tend to fit the March prefacelift or cabriolet lights. I was very close to buying some cabriolet until I saw a photo of some Kouki March lights which had been split, inner coloured lenses removed making them red and clear.

I spoke to Andrew from Micra Mafia on Facebook who had stock of the stock kouki lights and placed an order. While I was waiting for them to arrive I ordered some chrome bulbs. Although now having them fitted, I think i'll need to order some LED stop/tail as the tail light element isn't very bright

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-04-2020),HarryB (09-07-2020),MaRcOp01o (09-08-2020),Slampen (09-06-2020),tsingson (09-12-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    A few updates rolled into one

I'll start with the most obvious one from the first photo...the kanjo door boards. This was one of the things I wanted to tie in the kanjozoku style and it happened to be one of the last things lol. You'll usually see the osaka kanjo hand or hockey mask but with the car not being a Honda I wanted something different, and who doesn't love Mighty Car Mods?!

The next change was an experiment. I had seen on Facebook some posts from a page called KBMER who are graffiti artists. The first post was of a blue 350Z painted in an Initial D style and it really caught my eye. A few more cars followed including an NB Miata, Civic and an RX7 FC, these guys feature darker patches for shadows/shading and made it look more realistic.

My issue was, I didn't want to commit to painting the car incase I didnt like it. So i purchased some 12mm pin strip vinyl from work and gave it a go. I posted the photos on Social Media and the comments were very positive with a few suggestions.

I left the pin strip on the car to see what it would look like with the door boards and I think I can pull it off

KBMBER uses ink markers to create the lines and the whole car is then clear coated. Again, clear coating the car is a large task for a drive way build, plus theres no going back. I'll stick with the vinyl for now and see how it goes.

Norfolk based company Wylde Wraps UK supplied and fitted the door boards, while the car was there they also vinyl wrapped the roof gloss black. This is the reason why the Gizfab spoiler was painted black and not colour coded

The last big change was the fitting of some aerocatches that I borrowed from my old MX5 carbon bonnet. The bonnet took quite alot of cutting just to gain enough access to fit them, its not the prettiest of jobs but the car is far from perfect haha. No real reason to why I fitted them, more because I had them laying about and I was bored

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-04-2020),HarryB (10-05-2020),Phatmiata (10-13-2020)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    we need those here, that looks so cool!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (10-17-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I got round to finishing the pin stripe and it looks much better now its all the same IMO. I had to re-do most of the passenger side as I wasn't happy with it. Dont get me wrong, this is far from perfect and I'm sure its gonna lift in places over time but its a cheap mod for the time being

An engine swap was always on the cards, sadly nothing extravagant as an SR20 or GA16 but the CG13 or CGA13 from the K11. Fitting a CG13 1.3 Distributor wasnt straight forward as it'll have to be a mix and match of both engines (1.0 coilpack head, 1.3 distributor bottom end and a mixture of the timing chains from what I can gather).

I held out for a CGA13 1.4 from the later coilpack models as it'd be a direct swap. Luckily a friend was breaking her car due to the CVT box going wrong. Spent one Sunday removing the engine and stripping the car while we had the hoist and it was ready to come home.

The following Wednesday I got the block stripped down minus the crankshaft pulley and idler pulley (they've been removed since) ready to be wire brushed,cleaned and painted.

The rocker cover was removed to check the condition of the top end and it's pretty clean considering its got 105k. The car was originally a 1 lady owner who had a Nissan Service pack on so its been looked after

The sump was recently removed so I could clean the oil pick up and check everything was good. Took awhile to remove the original sealant but some fresh VHT RTV was applied and the sump bolted back on.

I've done a whole heap of work but didn't want to bombard the thread with boring photos, including some upgrades But you'll have to wait for the next update to find out
    Last edited by hoodedreeper; 10-17-2020 at 02:39 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-23-2020),HarryB (10-18-2020),tsingson (10-19-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    When I collected the engine I also bought a Garrett T2 Turbo and DIY manifold. I giggled like a little child and the thought of making choo choo noises from my rusty shitbox. Thats when I dug deeper into the conversion....

These engines aren't the most renown for being strong when boost is applied. Some engines have lasted years some within a week. The ringlands are the first to go and with the uncertainty of how long they'd last I'd need to factor in a bottom end rebuild.

The next largest piece of the puzzle was engine management. I was relying on using a Nistune board, but they're not available for the coilpack ECU. Piggyback units like the Det3 and E-Manage Blue are perfectly fine but they dont come about very often, then its finding a mapper local who can do it. The other option was to go full standalone i.e Omex,Megasquirt,Emerald, Link etc which would require a full rewire.

Although this option isnt an inconvience cost was a big factor. Can I justify spending £600-£1000 on management plus the cost of everything else? I said all along I wasn't going to boost it because I have the R34 for power/speed. I guess caving into peer pressure and curiousity got the best of me.

I decided not to go down this route because of the costs to make it reliable. Yes you can do it on the cheap, but finding the 1.4 engines is becoming more difficult and I dont really wanna be replacing the engine every month.

The turbo and Manifold sold today (17/10/20)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-23-2020),tsingson (10-19-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Spent a couple of days cleaning the block up and painting. The engine was pretty clean to begin with so luckily I managed to skip the degreasing stage. I used various wire brush drill attachments to clean it up and plenty of brake cleaner to get rid of the dust. With everything being aluminium it cleaned up really nicely.

The bottom end and sump was painted with Smooth Black Hammerite aerosol, while the head had the same treatment but with Smooth Silver. I've used Hammerite for years and never had it dry this glossy, how long that stays like that is anyone's guess.

I've replaced all of the sensors, waterpump and thermostat while everything was stripped. Not necessary by any means, but I know its all fresh and new

I've done my best to remove everything I can and paint it. Again, all of the silver is the same Hammerite spray but the black is Holts Simoniz Tough Black aerosol. Its covered just as good as the Hammerite and it was quite abit cheaper (another bonus of selling it at work)

I've also replaced most of the original nuts/bolts with Stainless allen cap versions. I've been recommended to use Nord Lock washers instead of normal flat ones. Never heard of them but it came from a close friend who's a perfectionist when it comes to this sorta thing so I trust his judgement.

I need to remove the alternator (only a couple of month old), PAS pump/Alternator bracket and Crankshaft Pulley from the 1.0L engine and swap it over before this gets fitted. I'll also paint any other bracket on the car and replace the hardward with stainless as and when I get to that stage.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-23-2020),tsingson (10-23-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Wow this is so satisfying to look at. Even tho its a very simple 4-Banger it looks fantastic!
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

tsingson (10-23-2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast