Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris' Nissan Micra K11 v3

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Sure as hell does! I love this thread. Look at that work of art!

No todo que es oro brilla.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (10-24-2020)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Spent yesterday (Wednesday 28th) taking the car apart ready to remove the engine. I managed to do everything except remove the drive shafts in an afternoon. A friend is coming over on Sunday with an engine hoist to help finish the removal.

With the unpredictable british weather and limited days off I had to make do with the best of what I had, but when it comes to paint work that can become abit tricky. All I had was a dusty and cold garage to spray in, with the help of a heat gun I managed to pull off a reasonable finish.

We decided on BMW Atlantis Blue

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to properly fit it to the engine but couldn't resist a quick photo

Depending on the time and available daylight, I'm hoping to get the remaining brackets etc removed from the engine bay once the engine has been removed and have the whole bay degreased and rinsed. This will be the decider whether the engine bay gets painted or not, although it probably will because theres a scabby patch on the drivers side which is in plain sight Would be a shame to fit this engine and the shitty engine bay lets it down.

Oh and I need to vent my anger with the courier MyHermes. Purchased a Janspeed Manifold and exhaust system from a known breaker at the end of September. It should have been delivered on the 17th Oct, it went back to the depot and no updates happened. They're now saying its damaged and are refusing to deliver it, been instructed to contact the seller. Contacted him and it seems almost impossible to get through to them.... *sigh* They're also refusing the give me the local depot details so I can collect (found out where they are, and are litually 5 minutes down the road)

I reeeeeally don't want to refit the stock manifold but until its resolved it looks like I'll have to

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-29-2020),HarryB (10-30-2020),MaRcOp01o (10-30-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    So an update on the MyHermes nightmare....

The tracking showed the parcel was unable to be delivered and to contact the seller. Spoke to the seller who had rung them and was told the packaging was damaged. He struggled to get back in contact so I tried, to which they were quite reluctant on passing on any info at the beginning. Turns out it had arrived at my local depot with the packaging damaged and THE WHOLE EXHAUST was missing!

I updated the seller and I received a refund almost instantly, I can't fault him for that, it was beyond our control

The exhaust was the last piece of the puzzle for the engine swap,especially as its one of the first things you see when you open the bonnet. So I contacted Eden at Gizfab and asked what the lead time was for one of his 4-2-1 Manifolds, which is 4-5 weeks. The manifold and front pipe were more money than the complete system I had originally purchased, but this is made from scratch and will be a much better quality stainless than the Janspeed. This gives me plenty of time to get the swap going and luckily its the last thing I need to fit. Here are some photos from their Facebook page.

Last sunday my friend came over to help remove the engine, it all went pretty smoothly to be honest. Removing 90% of the parts a few days prior certainly saved us alot of time, especially while dodging the rain showers.

Remembering where everything goes will be a task in itself...haha

Heres the rust patch I mentioned in the previous post. I thought about fitting an oil catch can, but the inlet/outlets are facing the other side of the bay which isnt ideal. I started off with a degrease and rinse to see what I was facing and it cleaned up pretty well. Thats until it dried and I was left with this

There must have been something on the surface because the rest of the engine bay was fine. It would scratch off with my finger nail, but that affected area was very smooth, my finger would skate across with hardly any effort. I was limited with what products to try, the first was vinegar...nope...next was brake cleaner....nope. Hmm.....

I wanted to avoid painting the rusty area for the fear of not being able to match the red, but this was now the reason to do it. I sanded the area with 150 grit wet and dry and it removed this weird degreaser 'stain' and also helped remove the loose corrosion. Various grades of wet and dry sandpaper later the area was now prepped ready to be treated. Once treated and everything masked off it was time to paint.

I went with Holts Simoniz Tough satin black for 2 reasons. The first was the satin finish would contrast nicely against the gloss black and silver engine. The second being I used the gloss black version to paint all the parts for the engine, so I know the coverage and finish was going to be very good.

Here are a couple more photos before the degrease

A couple of coats later and its looking pretty good. The outside temperate was dropping as the sun was setting, so I didnt have much time.

Theres a few patches that need another pass over, one or two areas will be quite tricky to get to, mainly behind the brake servo

Yes I'm aware I've missed a bit above the steering rack, but you're not going to see it ;)

Theres a couple of runs here and there but it was never going to be mint lol

Today (06/11/20) I collected the flywheel from the machine shop, a very fast turn around which was nice.

Next up is to paint the gearbox, once that's done I need to get the engine back in on the mounts which will be the hardest part for me. Everything else can be done as and when.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-07-2020),HarryB (11-07-2020),tsingson (11-11-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Spent a few more hours on the spare engine yesterday.

As a temporary measure I painted the stock exhaust manifold in VHT Black and half fitted the alternator (may have lost the lower bolt oops)

Rocker cover and coilpacks fitted (very happy with the colour choices)

Refitted some of the coolant and fuel hoses. I need to order some replacements as a couple got cut during the initial removal by a friend. He thought they were the same as the 1.0, turns out they're different.

The gearbox got a lick of paint too. The original plan was to paint it Smooth Black to match the bottom end and sump, but with the engine bay being black too I needed some more contrast

I've got a new crankshaft sensor to fit too which will be refitted once the engine and box are back in the car

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-15-2020),HarryB (11-14-2020),tsingson (11-18-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    So today was finally the day we get the engine back into the engine bay,woohoo!

The first job was to get the engine on the hoist and bolt up the flywheel,clutch and gearbox. Followed by the starter motor (forgot to clean/paint this oops! but you can't see it luckily), engine to gearbox braces and the battery/alternator/starter motor wiring loom.

With the front and side mounts bolted in place we jacked the driver side up to gain alittle more access to the central brace to re-attach including the rear gearbox mount and gear selector.

Next up was the wiring loom. Unfortunately without extending and tucking there's not much you can do with this. We started off by plugging in the coilpacks and injectors and fitted the rest as we worked down the loom.

I'll be trying to tidy it up a little bit more, I may be able to move some stuff and cable tie it in a different position. I won't know until I start I guess

New fuel filter fitted and the removal of the carbon canister (just need to sort the last remaining hose) helps tidy up that corner. Battery tray was also refitted but need to give the fuse box a good clean.

Can't do much with the brake servo or PAS lines so that corner will have to stay as it is. I'll look into a replacement PAS reservoir as they all discolour and look crap. Failing that I'll see if I can find one of those sock covers big enough to cover it up.

Driveshafts have been refitted too. Passenger side inner joint had no grease, it was more like really thin oil. That was cleaned out, both inner boots repacked with fresh grease and new clips.

The top slam panel and front brace needs to be painted

Awaiting delivery of a lower radiator mount rubber, PCV seal for the rocker cover and a coolant hose. Once they're here I can refit the radiator (purchased a new one for an Auto which are slightly thicker than the Manual ones), adjust the throttle and clutch cables and refill all of the fluids.

Then fingers crossed it doesnt leak fuel,oil or coolant on start up lol

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-20-2020),tsingson (11-18-2020)

Thanks Given
    Everything looks pristine except for that reservoir.

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Everything looks pristine except for that reservoir.
    The PAS reservoir is being sorted, Im waiting for parts to arrive That'll be covered in a couple of updates time

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Sunday 22nd November

Spent a couple of hours in the afternoon on the car. Unfortunately I couldnt do much until parts arrive but I managed to tick off a few smaller jobs

Fuse box and plugs cleaned
    Battery tray fixed down
    Battery earth fitted
    Earth points cleaned to bare metal and fitted
    Coolant hose/wiring clips fitted
    Alternator tensioned
    Exhaust manifold bolted up to front pipe
    Slam panel loosely fitted
    Label cable tie tags removed
    Injector and Coilpack plugs cleaned
    Wiper motor refitted

Today Wednesday 25th November

It was certainly a roller-coaster of a day *sigh*

Finished painting the top of the Slam panel
    Filled the gearbox with fluid
    Fitted the radiator, fan and hoses

Laid on the floor to tighten the last jubilee clip, noticed the floor was wet. Gearbox oil was pissing out because the driveshafts weren't pushed in all the way 🤦 Threw some sand down to help soak it up

Removed and refitted the driveshafts, made a nice 'pop' as I pushed it in this time round. Refilled with another litre of fluid and so far no more leaks 🤞🤞
    Refitted the radiator (was easier to refill with it out of the way). Also fitted the new coolant expansion tank

Next wednesday should see the last remaining jobs done and hopefully its first start up

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-25-2020),HarryB (11-26-2020),tsingson (11-28-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Today I wanted to get the last remaining jobs ticked off the list and hopefully turn the key.

First job was to fit the Almera N15 GA16 Airbox and air ducting. I found some 51mm reinforced air duct in the garage that I purchased for the supercharged MX5 but never got round to using it. I ordered a 73-51mm silicone reducer and I had some 50mm stainless tube spare to make a joiner. The ducting fits perfectly in the hole behind the coolant reservoir which was a bonus.

I also fitted a freshly painted strut brace, no idea on the brand as there are no markings on it. I bought it from Chloe along with the box because I knew it would clear. Some stainless M10 bolts finished it off a treat

I wasnt happy with how awful the OEM PAS reservoir looked, so I ordered a Mishimoto item along with some male adapters and elbow fixings because I needed them facing downwards. I made a bracket because the bolt holes were different, turns out the hoses were quite alot different than I had originally planned. I switched one fitting back to the original but due to the length of the hoses its now moved the tank approx 90 degrees, making the new bracket redundant.

I'll keep the new bracket and make a triangle bracket and hope one mounting bolt on top is enough for support.

With the engine oil, PAS and coolant now filled it was time to start it up. It didnt quite start first time (more like 3) but it started none the less. A couple of issues...

- The idle is currently around 1500rpm, thats because I couldnt check until the engine was started
    - Exhaust manifold is blowing (I picked a gasket from work which 'looked' correct, turns out it wasnt. The correct one will be ordered tomorrow)
    - Engine Management Light is on

I used my OBDII reader and it came back with

P1605 - A/T Diagnostic Communication Line

Because the engine and ECU are from an Auto model, the ECU can't see the CVT Controller. Fitting a 1.4 manual ECU would solve it, but its finding one with the key and transponder

By this point it had gotten dark and started to rain. I managed to get the headlights and bumper refitted just to 'finish it' off.

My to-do list is now:

- Adjust throttle cable
    - Make a bracket for the PAS reservoir
    - Make a bracket for the airbox
    - Make a bracket for the air duct
    - Paint any bolts that weren't replaced with stainless
    - Fit arch liners and undertray
    - Replace exhaust manifold gasket
    - Test drive

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-03-2020)

Thanks Given
    This is crazy nice! It looks like that battery is for an M1 tank. Any smaller, lighter options?

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Probably but I had to buy a new battery the same day I started to take the engine out.

Believe it or not, the R34 uses the exact same battery

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (12-04-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    So today I sorted out the PAS reservoir bracket and made a bracket for the airbox, but the breather hose coming off the rocker cover is very very close to the mounting hole so I've left that for now.

Adjusted the throttle cable leaving the airbox off incase I needed to adjust it more....car wouldnt start even with some throttle. Perhaps the throttle cable was too slack, so checked again and had it so there was barely any slack....nope it stiill wouldnt start.

We had a pretty sharp cold night (not sure if there was any frost but it was certainly cold enough to) perhaps the harsh cold had gotten to the battery? The battery was replaced the day I started to strip the engine bay, having put it on charge before the previous update I knew the battery was in good health. I tried jump starting it to rule out the battery, it had plenty of cranking but not firing.

I disconnected the 1.4 auto ECU and key transponder and refitted the original 1.0 ECU and transponder, it fired up straight away.

This was mind boggling. The car started and ran numerous times 4 days prior, got upto temperature and cooled down when I was checking for leaks etc etc The only thing I had done was adjusted the throttle cable?!

Either something is fried inside the 1.4 auto ECU or something has happened to the NATS (Nissan's factory immobiliser)

The Engine Management Light is back, we know it can't be CVT gearbox related because its a manual transmission ECU. Plugged in my OBD2 reader and no faults are found, cleared the code and the light disappears. Switch the engine off and read the ECU again, no codes found....bizzare

Anyway....

With the car running I got it moving for the first time and parked it on flat ground to check the fluids. A small top up and we're good to go for a test drive. I drove round a 1 mile radius, temperature stayed half way, EML still on but I'll ignore that for a second. Shifting gears around 3k while I bed this new clutch in but its changing gears smoothly and the clutch bite is good.

Parked up outside the house to check for any leaks and there wasn't any. This gave me an opportunity to finally clean the driveway of transmission fluid

I didn't fix the leaking exhaust manifold because I received confirmation of shipping of the new Gizfab 4-2-1 Manifold, woohoo! I'll persevere with the blow until the new one gets fitted next week at work.

The engine bay still needs some tidying up and some paint touch ins but its now running and driving and those things can come as and when (I've got an R34 to fix next)

Now to get some miles on the clock and get this clutch bedded in. Its gonna be torture not putting my foot down properly especially when the new manifold goes on but it'll be worth the wait!

Next up... brake upgrade (I've got the parts I didnt want to bed a clutch and brakes at the same time)

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-06-2020),HarryB (12-07-2020),Slampen (12-07-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Got it plugged into a Snap On machine this morning and it brought up P0443 Evap Purge Control Circuit Fault

The carbon canister has been unplugged and removed, so will need to find a way to loop the circuit or at least see if I can remove the sensor from the canister and leave it plugged in (if that'll work)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-08-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I made a bracket to support the air duct hose. Its a tempory thing until I can find someone with a riv-nut tool and I'll look into moving it to the suspension turret (will need to check the hose for shape/fitment at that position)

The final piece of the engine bay puzzle finally arrived, my Gizfab 4-2-1 Manifold and front pipe

First impressions, the quality and workmanship is second to none. Picking up the box I wasn't expecting it to be so light! The quality of the welds are top notch, every piece truely is a work of art.

Fitment was very good, the only issue we encountered was the 2nd lambda boss was directly under the driveshaft. I spoke to Eden at Gizfab and he said they've been using the same jig for 2+ years with no issues. He's offered to make me another front pipe with the lambda boss further back. Excellent communication and customer service.

The noise....oh the sweet...sweet....asbo noise haha This thing is LOUD. Not obnoxious loud, somewhere between Honda Civic and straight pipe haha The de-cat and design of the manifold has certainly perked things up with the driving experience and instantly noticed a difference.

Its certainly made the car very nostalgic, a throw back to the previous Red K11 with the noise and driveability, instantly putting a huge smile on my face.

I just hope its within the track day decibel limits

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-11-2020),HarryB (12-11-2020)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I went for a drive to take some photos that weren't my from my phone (for anyone curious on what I use,Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art)

So this will be a photo dump as I got abit carried away haha

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-30-2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast