Thread: Ceramic coatings for paint

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Ceramic coatings for paint

Anyone have experience or anecdotal knowledge about DIY ceramic coatings for paint protection?

I’m curious about the entire experience, particularly end of life where the coating begins to fade and needs to be replenished or reapplied.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Professor Dwight (02-04-2021)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    NA 1.8
    Thanks Given
    This is something I was told by a reputable auto body professional...
    "It's like Armor All on your dash it's fine for a couple of Summers until it makes a crack. In the 1990s and early 2000s it was called perma-plate, from 2000 to 2015 it was called nano-technology and the new thing is ceramic coating. All of it is silicon-based sealants. If you see a car with a perma-plate sticker in the window from the 90s there’s a 100% chance the paint is destroyed. The nanotechnology companies all disappeared after people started suing because paint warranties were voided by auto manufacturers. Ceramic coating is new but still a silicone-based sealant. You realize the problem when you Google if “using ceramic coating void a warranty” but only find blogs by detailers and ceramic coating manufacturers. Vehicle and paint manufacturers are typically silent on whether they void the warranty until they find out if they have to pay to fix it. Wax has been around since the 30s, when these sealants are around for longer than 15 years without lawsuits I'll be a fan. I've been painting since 1988 and have seen a whole bunch of fads. This is a fad. "

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I remember the ‘coatings’ from the 80s and 90s. These are silicone-based and have been skeptical of these ceramic types.

I do know the underlaying surface needs to be as perfect as possible or the ceramic coatings basically trap the swirls, scratches and imperfections.

Drives
    NA 1.8
    Thanks Given
    That is correct. I initially was interested in getting my car ceramic coated and part of the process was doing paint correction performed to ensure all imperfections were eliminated. Also, depending on the ceramic coating you choose, you have to complete maintenance every 6 months to a year or you risk voiding the warranty of the coating. I'm no longer interested in getting my car coated in the near future, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowhunter For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-03-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Some of the bungled DIY ceramic jobs are funny and frightening at the same time. Most are from people not reading or following the instructions, then taking it to a pro and finding out the entire car basically needs to be wet sanded.

Drives
    NA 1.8
    Thanks Given
    No thank you! That's similar to paying someone $500 for a whole paint job and then having to get it re-done for another $2500.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowhunter For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (02-04-2021)