Thread: Right Hand Drive import questions

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts

Right Hand Drive import questions

Hello Mazda Roadster:

I have always wanted a Right hand drive Miata.

I would like to try to get into a RHD Miata. Recently on a silly FB page it was mentioned that Miatas can be had from Japan for $500 USD with shipping costs approx. $2000. They claim for under $3000 I could have a RHD Miata. Of course its FB so I take that stuff with a grain of salt so I really don't see how that is possible or how true that is. A person mentioned Japan gov auctions....

Can you folks please educate me on the ways of finding a RHD NA Miata (90-93) that isn't a complete POS, mainly stock for a decent price. Doesn't need anything done to is. doesn't need cool options.

Every where I look online at the sites that import RHD cars all have them for $10,000 plus whether theyre already in the US or still over seas ready to be shipped.

thanks all.

Paul

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlex's Avatar
    Drives
    blue, white and two-tone
    Thanks Given
    The 'auction' sites such as goo net etc are all going to have higher cost cars so they get more profit. But there's an M2 car for 20K might be an investment lol.

They are sought-after, even the standard models. at least that's what the market they show says.. but maybe there are cheaper car import sites.

I'm all ears to hear about other sites.

Alternatively..

Import one from the UK, there are *lots* of eunoses already there.... hop on autotrader.co.uk it's a short trip across the atlantic..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atlex For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-30-2021)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    If it is not completely rotten that is

UK is a good market for parts, but my experience is that everything looks like it was pulled out of the bottom of the sea after a few winter seasons. And well-sorted NAs are quite expensive.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (01-29-2021),Paul B (01-30-2021),vote4pedro (01-29-2021)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue΄94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by atlex View Post
    The 'auction' sites such as goo net etc are all going to have higher cost cars so they get more profit. But there's an M2 car for 20K might be an investment lol.

They are sought-after, even the standard models. at least that's what the market they show says.. but maybe there are cheaper car import sites.

I'm all ears to hear about other sites.

Alternatively..

Import one from the UK, there are *lots* of eunoses already there.... hop on autotrader.co.uk it's a short trip across the atlantic..

My impression is that the japanese prices at sites like goo net are partially to high. Sure the NA - like many japanese 80s/90s cars -
    is more sought after now but not that high in most cases. If you look at detailed pictures of sales advertisements you will find many
    "problem areas". Sure the cars are getting older but often there are cracked dashboards, old soft tops, rusty sills and suspension parts,
    interiors where special original parts are missing and then these high prices. Not justified in my opinion.
    On top of that there are transportation and import costs and the approval procedures to get it road legal...

Like you said UK would be a good possibility to buy one. Autotrader, Gumtree, pistonheads or ebay.co.uk.
    Maybe an Eunos car that hasn't been on the island for so many years (rust).

Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    If it is not completely rotten that is

UK is a good market for parts, but my experience is that everything looks like it was pulled out of the bottom of the sea after a few winter seasons. And well-sorted NAs are quite expensive.
    Sure this is the experience most people have done. Well sorted NAs are expensive but cars where a little bit of work has to be done are not that expensive there.
    Let΄s say for 3 to 4k you can get a good car. In Germany you have to pay 5 to 6 k for a nice LHD example. But there are a lot of overpriced cars here, too, which
    are forever at mobile or autoscout24, from 8 to 20 k EUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Hello Mazda Roadster:

I have always wanted a Right hand drive Miata.

I would like to try to get into a RHD Miata. Recently on a silly FB page it was mentioned that Miatas can be had from Japan for $500 USD with shipping costs approx. $2000. They claim for under $3000 I could have a RHD Miata. Of course its FB so I take that stuff with a grain of salt so I really don't see how that is possible or how true that is. A person mentioned Japan gov auctions....

Can you folks please educate me on the ways of finding a RHD NA Miata (90-93) that isn't a complete POS, mainly stock for a decent price. Doesn't need anything done to is. doesn't need cool options.

Every where I look online at the sites that import RHD cars all have them for $10,000 plus whether theyre already in the US or still over seas ready to be shipped.

thanks all.

Paul

Seen for me I bought my Eunos in the UK in 2017 and drove it home to Germany. Looking back this was the best time for me to buy this car.
    It had also some problem areas but i just paid 2600 EUR for a 110.000 km car. To get it road legal and with a big service I were already at 5k.
    Afterwards, you put a lot more into it. It depends on your personal requirements and what you plan to do with the car.

In my opinion an RHD car (UK MX-5 or J Eunos Roadster) for $500 USD is an illusion. Nobody is currently giving away such cars.
    Last edited by LagBlu; 01-29-2021 at 07:45 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LagBlu For This Useful Post:

HarryB (01-29-2021),Paul B (01-30-2021),vote4pedro (01-29-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    ^that.

There are auto importers up and down the east coast of the US, the majority in FL because of their lax state laws regarding cars and access to deep ports.

Look for a reputable importer with a stellar history. There is a lot of paper work involved and having it done correctly can be the difference between actually being able to register the car and drive it or having it seized.

There were a few LHD Miatas showing up from Baltimore to here in Atlanta last year from an importer out of VA IIRC.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-30-2021)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Japaneseclassic.com is an importer in Richmond, VA. I have seen a few Eunos Roadsters in their inventory but they don't last very long. I have seen the price for them go for around $12k. If I remember correctly when I was looking to purchase a vehicle from them, they provide you with the necessary information needed to legally have it in the US but each state is different in what they want to be able to register it. For example, I believe you have to invest a bit more if trying to get it street legal in CA. Steven is also correct about using an importer that has a record of importing legally as I remember friends of mine that had been screwed over during the Motorex scandal.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-30-2021),vote4pedro (01-29-2021)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    When I imported mine I used this website. You'll find yourself here so much.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/

It is Japanese Craigslist on Crack. You can search by model, color, and even trim. They work with you very nicely and send you an endless amount of pics and videos. The only thing you need is to work with a broker on the US side.

I paid an additional $1800 in shipping and port fees which is pretty good in all honesty and it came on the "Ro Ro" shipping method Roll On-Roll Off and it took about 3 months.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-30-2021),vote4pedro (01-29-2021)

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    Japaneseclassic.com is an importer in Richmond, VA. I have seen a few Eunos Roadsters in their inventory but they don't last very long. I have seen the price for them go for around $12k. If I remember correctly when I was looking to purchase a vehicle from them, they provide you with the necessary information needed to legally have it in the US but each state is different in what they want to be able to register it. For example, I believe you have to invest a bit more if trying to get it street legal in CA. Steven is also correct about using an importer that has a record of importing legally as I remember friends of mine that had been screwed over during the Motorex scandal.
    They are great and bring in some very nice examples but they are a tad pricey but you get what you pay for with them and a premium priced car is usally super super nice.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-30-2021),tsingson (01-29-2021),vote4pedro (01-29-2021)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

From what I've seen is what a lot of what you all have said $10k for a RHD car. but a lot of what I see is all REALLY nice ones. All id be looking for is a rust-free body and crack-less dash....the rest is all replaceable and would make a fun project.

Being over 25 yrs old, a 90-93 shouldn't be any issue getting it legal here in NY, especially if it comes from a reputable dealer who gets the PPW in order.

I appreciate the websites you all mentioned. I will continue my search.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    you wont find any rhd miata in any condition in japan for less than $5000 delivered. shipping costs can vary depending on where the car is in japan. i typically dont see any running and driving NAs sell in japan for under $3000.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

Paul B (01-31-2021)

Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bogaut View Post
    you wont find any rhd miata in any condition in japan for less than $5000 delivered. shipping costs can vary depending on where the car is in japan. i typically dont see any running and driving NAs sell in japan for under $3000.
    That’s kind of what I figured. And $5000 seems perfectly reasonable. I appreciate the info ����

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    At auction, Automatics sell for a lot less than Manuals. But the costs of automatic-> manual conversion aren't so great. While 1.6 autos are choked, the 1.8 auto engine is the same.

eg, this car sold a few days ago

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...7vdl72WFKfXO0l

136k yen, that's under $1300. Its in ok shape, not a minter, but a few nice bits on it.

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...=H2P0TMy3mIb5e

Probably a better buy, with the cloth interior. Sold for 103k yen, under $1000.

Manuals

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...t0wfj1g0gu0LId

Very late 1997 NA, manual. Its had a repair at sometime, sold for 243k yen though. This car will likely have a 4.3 Torsen and the same flywheel as a RS.

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...pqWIASFEaHVuzX

Dogs breakfast of a car, but lots of good bits. Importantly, S-Special II originally, so 4.3 Torsen Type 2, lightened flywheel. Good project car. 156k yen

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...9LRjCh4KZ3Hasx

Rough but cheap, 76k yen

https://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au...OYmjZ6teRPEhSL

Potential, it was a V-Special, but obviously the interior was trashed and complete black interior fitted

Cheaper cars can be had:

1. Jap auctions no longer a source for cheap mint cars loaded with extras
    2. Anything a factory limited edition pretty much goes for crazy money
    3. Grade R cars are no longer necessarily cheap
    4. Manual is a 100-150k yen premium over an automatic
    5. Values drop off for anything with more than 200k kms on the clock

Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    I recomened this site.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/

You can search more to the exact trim you want and they arent auction cars so people cant bid higher than you. Plus it is where I got my eunos and the process was very simple, you just need a broker state side.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Mazda Miata LE