Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloha from NorCal

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given

Post Aloha from NorCal

Hi,

I've lurked this and this and other forums since first buying my miata. I decided to make an account after all this time to be able to participate.

I'm pretty young, and have owner two cars prior to this: a 2001 Corolla, and a 2011 BMW 128I Coupe. Both were Automatic and I never really understood a lot about cars until recently. While I can't say its the sole reason for buying a miata, my interest in miatas was raised by a video I saw of two NA's winking at eachother from across and intersection. Once I began to look further into the cars, I saw exactly what I wanted: A lightweight, well-handling, relatively cheap, and easy to work on car with a great community behind it. I had to have one.

My miata is a Classic Red 1991 manual with manual steering rack. It was purchased towards the end of August 2020. I found a pretty decent deal for it, though not a steal, out of state with a hardtop. At the time I had been searching for a few months and this was the best option I had found that matched my wants with my budget. The car isn't cosmetically perfect, but has no structural problems or rust on the rockers, fenders, or subframe components. I flew out and figured out how to drive manual on the 800 mile trip back home.

The previous owner(s) didn't necessarily abuse the vehicle, but they left a lot of things to be done more....tastefully. I've honestly spent a lot of money and time trying to get it to where I want it. I swapped a 4.10 type I torsen into it , replaced entire clutch, master and slave cylinder, braided stainless clutch line, and it is getting new brakes, hubs, bearings, OEM suspension bushings, I have an RX7 TII transmission that is about 85% ready to go in, but I am still deciding if I want to. I am aleo trying to decide if I should rebuild my 1.6 or build a BP4W and put that in. I'm not crazy about wanting power for no reason, but this is my daily and I frequently find myself wishing for better torque.

I'll be uploading some pictures to my profile to sort of contrast how it was when I bought it vs how it is now. It is currently a patchwork of colors due to putting different parts together, I will have it painted professionally after I finish with dealing with all the things I want to do mechanically with it, and am satisfied with the build.

In summary, hello everyone, I am overall very new to the miata enthusiast community and have a lot of plans on where I want my NA to be in a little while. I made this account to be able to participate in forum activities (and be able to buy hard to find parts) and I will look into making a build progress thread to showcase the things I've done. I would say there are a couple of unique things I've done that are worth sharing.

Thanks
    -Ilyia

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IlyiaZakira For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-11-2021),Phatmiata (06-05-2021)

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Oops, I looked before but thought my first intro never published. Deleting the old one because this one is better

Edit: I can't delete threads. Sorry admins. I swear I double and triple checked to see if my first post made it through but I couldn't see it lol.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Welcome! Sounds like an interesting journey so far. I would skip the RX7 transmission, mainly because it is not needed, especially if you are not crazy about power. Save the money and effort, sell it and use the funds somewhere you need them. I am also not sure what is needed in order to swap in a BP4W and be able to pass inspection in Cali.

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, I am probably going to get all the hardware to complete the swap and then sell it all together to make things easier for the buyer. The thing is, I originally planned to build a forged bp4w with an EFR 5758 kit and wanted to make 300-400 HP. I met a wizard who does fabwork and has done the swap multiple times. He told me the TII trans shifts terribly compared to the 5 speed M60 transmission and it just wasnt worth it. I'm only going to be in Cali for another 6 months or so and I would do the BP4W after that.

I'm still torn on what I want to do. I have been taking inspiration from a guy I found who did the same thing and its just amazingly clean and has been reliable for him. I like the rev happy 1.6 and my favorite thing is just really going at it on the canyon roads and Highway 1 etc... I am considering just rebuilding my 1.6 with a no expense spared philosophy to make a really tough forged 1.6 that can handle power if I want it later on with the smaller EFR turbo. And I would probably just have a MK2 5 speed built for me to go with it and not do 4k launches basically haha.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Welcome Ilyia!

If you are free this Sunday, there is the huge CNC in Alameda held by Valt at the shipyard 707 Hornet Ave. Alameda 8:30am - 11:30am.

There is also a Radwood car show 7/10/21 that you should either enter your car in or spectate.
    Last edited by Willywongka; 05-11-2021 at 04:42 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

IlyiaZakira (05-11-2021)

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanks,

I'll see if I can be there. I am usually pretty busy with work but Sunday is my day off.

I'll look into Radwood for sure. But probably won't enter this time. The NA is still a red, white, and black patchwork of different panels and parts. I have been waiting until most other projects are finished to do paint. I can't wait though. I love the RS AIZAWA bumper I picked up and would like to see it matching soon.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Welcome to NorCal.

RS Aizawa bumper? You’ll be matching with me and Willywongka.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Hmm,

Looks like I have no choice but to be at that CNC on Sunday then.

But I must admit, I'm still a patchwork of body panel colors from putting things together still, so it won't be the prettiest you've ever seen.

Funny thing - I've been following Willywongka for some time on Instagram already. I found him through the hashtag RSAIZAWA haha! What a cool circumstance for us to be in the same place.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by speedypenguin View Post
    Welcome to NorCal.

RS Aizawa bumper? You’ll be matching with me and Willywongka.
    Hahah! Yeaah, rs aizawa front bumpers just popp'n up out of the wood work these days!

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    I guess you have no choice. I should be there with a friend or two.

Brian may not be going, he never goes. Maybe you can convince him to show up this time .

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Welcome to MazdaRoadster.net !!!!

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanks!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    I guess you have no choice. I should be there with a friend or two.

Brian may not be going, he never goes. Maybe you can convince him to show up this time .
    Shots fired. hoping to be able to venture out in the near future.
    My Eunos Roadster, Jazz

Drives
    1991 Manual, Classic Red
    Thanks Given

I will be unable to attend the CNC this time. My shift on Saturday got switched to Sunday.

If anyone ever wants, I'm down to cruise or meet up whenever I have time. I work 6 days a week all around different parts of NorCal but usually have a few hours in the day to relax.

-Ilyia

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Lets see some photos of your Miata !!!! Welcome to our little group of diehards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast