Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris' Mitsubishi Colt CZT Turbo

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given

Chris' Mitsubishi Colt CZT Turbo

With the Micra K11 sold it was time to look for the next project.

With a reasonably small budget and no clue to what I want, it made the task a tiny bit difficult.

On the way home from work one evening I followed a stock trim Mitsubishi Colt, I remembered they did a spicey version called the CZT, a 1.5L 4 cylinder turbo hatchback. I did some research and found a couple local. A work colleague has the convertible model and kindly travelled over to Norwich one evening so I could have a look about and a test drive.

I was impressed! I couldn't test out the handling too much as it was soaking wet and I didn't want to push the car beyond my limits. Even with stock suspension it seemed to have good handling along with some decent power delivery.

I got in contact with a seller in Felixstowe (approx 62 miles away) and had agreed to go view the car on Sunday. Unfortuantely this meant having to sacrifice not attending JAE show but I'm sure it would be worth it.

The car was per the advert although the paint work needs some attention (overall its not bad for 16 years old). Theres a few minor things that need sorting, for example the passenger side repeater and door mirror glass, radio display doesn't work (a spare was included) and the air con needs re-gassing.

Although not noticed on the initial test drive, it does need a wheel alignment. One of the front strut top mounts is knocking so I'll get that done at the same time (I'm sure some lowering springs will be thrown into the mix at this point too)

These engines are good for approx 250hp from what I've read, my aim is to achieve a nice safe 220hp which I think will be more than enough (a vast improvement over the Micra's 80hp)

Here are some photos when I arrived home

The headlights could do with a cut back and polish

Damage on the passenger door, hoping this will polish out

Rear bumper scuff

Key scratches above the driver side door handle

Aftermarket door mirror glass lifting from the factory baseplate

Side repeater lens missing

After a quick wash

Let the project begin!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-17-2021),HarryB (08-16-2021)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LagBlu's Avatar
    Drives
    Laguna Blue´94 Eunos
    Thanks Given
    Have fun with the Colt. Your plans sound good to me.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Waaaaaay back in the day I had a Dodge Colt which was a rebadged Mitsubishi due to their partnership.

No todo que es oro brilla.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    These are quite popular here as well. Looking forward to updates!

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    First update is a boring one I'm afraid

First thing to do with any car is to do a service IMO. I dont think the oil filter has been changed in a while though ���� (changed at 82,900)

I noticed the windscreen wasn't clearing too well and it didn't smell too great either. I drained the screenwash, flushed through with water and refilled with pre-mixed fluid. Also fitted new Bosch wipers

One of the things mentioned in the for sale advert was the dashboard display wasn't working. It seems this is a common fault, luckily the seller supplied a replacement which was untested. Swapped them over and at first it didn't work. Got the soldering iron out to have a look at the original, that didn't sort it so re-tried the spare and it works.

I gave the engine bay a quick clean as I had some spare time. I could do with removing a few things for better access but its a start ��

Here are some comparison photos

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-18-2021),HarryB (08-19-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Having been using forums for quite a number of years (I think I started using them circa 2004) I've always enjoyed the whole process.

I'm abit late to the party, but I've decided to attempt a Vlog along side the forum posts. It's going to take some time building up my confidence because I hate talking infront of a camera but I'm sure they'll improve as time goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/c/hoodedreeper/featured

The first intro video can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fxnRyoI8Rg&t=1s

The first proper video was a 'How To' for Colt owners on removing the front suspension, in preperation for changing the springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-hydrvTk7g&t=20s

Coilovers were out of my budget as I wanted to purchase a couple of other modifications. I went with some 35mm H&R lowering springs.

When I first purchased the car, the LH strut mount was knocking badly. A pair of pattern parts along with new bearings were purchased from eBay along with new dust covers from my work.

Not owning a pair of spring compressors I asked a friend to help out

Although the shock bodies look absolutely terrible, they work and don't leak. So I wire brushed them and gave them a coat of black hammerite spray

Gave the wiper arms a coat of paint in Gloss tough black paint that I used on the Micra

While the shocks were removed I took the chance to wire brush, rust treat and underseal the inner arches. I won't bore you with photos of every arch so here's just one

Once the car was back on the ground, I took it for a test drive. Thats when I encountered a new noise. Here's a video explaining it and how I've fixed it for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFxlqACQNwE&t=2s

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-08-2021),HarryB (09-09-2021),MaRcOp01o (09-08-2021)

Thanks Given
    Good job on starting your channel. You can insert videos by clicking on the filmstrip button and pasting the link in the box that opens. You can also edit posts and change [ url] [ /url] to [ video] [/ video] tags (without spaces).

0AE3939D-D799-4898-8F34-F01136357CD8.jpeg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (09-09-2021),MaRcOp01o (09-08-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Had this fitted a little while but struggled to find time to go get videos

Scorpion cat back exhaust is now fitted

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-16-2021),MaRcOp01o (09-15-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Although the factory side mount intercooler performed faultess, every likes a front mount right?

I got in contact with a local company called Stealthwerx who are an Airtec dealer who ordered it in for me.

Here's the latest video now up on my Youtube

Here are some photos

Before

Installation finished prior to bumper re-fitting

Finished

Fitted black mesh and tinted the fog lights yellow

Fancy photos for Instagram

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-18-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I had last week off work, half of that was spent indoors because of typical british weather. But I did manage to sort some jobs out on the Colt.

First on the list was to restore the oxidised headlights

Here are some after photos

By far a perfect outcome as the passenger light is still hazy but I think thats down to the lacquer. But it's certainly much better than before

Next job was to replace the extremely worn droplinks for some polybush versions

The final job on the list was to fit some new silicone boost hoses

While everything was dismantled I painted the hard pipes in the same Steel Grey colour I painted the BMW Bottletops I had on the Micra

I didn't make a video on this because its pretty boring and swapping the hoses is quite straight forward

A package arrived, I'll let the photos do the talking

A big thank you to Dynodaze for the fast delivery on all of the parts (polybush droplinks,silicone hoses and exhaust manifold)

The stock manifolds are known for cracking, I thought I'd get it replaced sooner rather than later. I just need to order replacement gaskets and hardware from the main dealer before I can make a start.

And to finish the update, have a sunset photo

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-13-2021),HarryB (10-14-2021)

Thanks Given
    Nice yellow tint in the fog lights. I do that to all my cars too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

hoodedreeper (10-14-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I don't know why it just makes it look so much better. Plus it breaks up all of the black

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    ​Last Wednesday I swapped the manifolds over, things weren't as simple as I originally thought.

I also took a visit to the main dealer to purchase new manifold > turbo gasket and new hardware.

The next job to do immediately after was to replace the coolant hoses. The design of the new manifold meant the hose sits against it, so I used some heat wrap to help prevent damage (I understand it could have been done less bulky but wanted to make sure it was covered well enough)

The last video is a short review on the new Ring Automotive 200% bulbs. After restoring the headlamps I wanted to upgrade the lights. Working at a Motor Factor I was able to grab a pair as soon as they landed on the shelves.

A friend kindly printed me some new social media stickers. Rather than the typical logo and user name, I went with my new logo to match

*f'k​

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (11-03-2021),MaRcOp01o (11-03-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    I added some more colour to the engine bay by painting parts of the engine cover

Inbetween the rain showers I managed to get the car jacked up and rust treated the boot floor

Primed with Zinc primer

2 coats of underbody seal

This time of year makes for some great photos

Back in October I made the mistake of taking the car to a hand car wash the day before a car show. I would normally wash the car myself, but the lack of spare time leading upto the show meant it was much quicker to get someone else to do it.

We arrived at the show and everything was fine until the sun beamed down onto it at lunch time. Revealing the horror of what they had done

Luckily I've known the owner of the hand car wash for a few years so hoping he'd actually do something to help. He admitted liability and agreed to sort it out. Fast forward 6-7 weeks and the car was taken to a well known bodyshop in the area. The car was dropped off just after 4pm and it looked clean and shiney.

I got home and purposely parked infront of our other car (which has factory xenon lights) and this was what I was greeted with

I got back in contact with the car wash owner and he would speak to the bodyshop the following day. They wanted the car back to sort it out but I refused. If they can't do it correct the first time, who's to say they'll do it the second time?

I contacted a local paint correction/vehicle detailing company DLB Detailing Services to seek help and to try and rectify this huge mess.

Dale had the car for 3 days and the results are unbelieveable.

I made a short video (apologies, it repeats what I've typed here)

I can't thank them enough for all of the time and effort they've put into bringing the paint back. For 14 year old paint I don't think its looked any better. Unfortunately it's now highlighted all of the stone chips,lacquer peel and inperfections lol

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (12-18-2021),HarryB (12-18-2021)

Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Choosing a set of wheels for a build is an important and daunting task. There are alot of factors to consider (well, depends how fussy you are) which include design, fitment, colour and price.

The Colt CZT has a PCD of 4x114.3 with a factory wheel size of 16x6.5j ET46

Initially I thought of all the cool JDM wheels that are common with this PCD but they're mainly 13" and 14", curse word!

Although there are a handful of wheels available on the market, not many of them took my fancy. Higher price wheels like Works,Volk etc are well out of my budget .

Browsing through eBay and Facebook market place I came across a set of these

TSW Venom 17x7j ET42

Having grown up through the Max Power era I couldn't say no to these. Plus its good to be abit different to everyone else (for good or bad reasons, you decide lol)

A good friend of mine offered to refurb them for me if I provided everything. Can't say no to that offer

I have 2 tyres which are fitted which allowed me to trial fit them. I'll get another pair in the spring time ready to fit them all properly

I attempted to make a fancy video for the Youtube channel, which confirms I need to invest in a gimbal

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-05-2022),MaRcOp01o (12-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast