Thread: 330Ci ZHP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

330Ci ZHP

I’m starting my stewardship of the latest acquisition. It would be my sixth go-around with BMW and my second e46 (99-05 3-series). My previous models were an ‘81 320i (e21), ‘86 325i (e30), ‘88 325is (e30), ‘95 M3 (e36), ‘05 325it (e46), and this…2005 330ci ZHP.

Sometimes referred to as ‘the last of the good BMWs’, it is a progressive refinement of the 3 series models that originated from the fabled 2002 model.

Why would I do this? Give up on a well-sorted, dual purpose NB for a car known for its douchey ownership base and questionable reliability? I love the vehicle dynamics of these cars. Agile and sporty, yet strong enough to be thrashed by the scruff of its neck. They are entertaining and even rewarding to drive at its limits. It is also sophisticated yet luxurious enough to placidly cruise on the freeway all day in reassuring poise and comfort.

The ZHP is a limited package offered in 03-06 (04-05 on the coupes, 06 was the carryover convertible chassis only) as a bit of a swan song and offered unique upgrades. This meant a slight bump in power(235hp), M-Sport aerodynamics from the M3, special interior package, and unique paint options. The Sports suspension is a revised geometry, dampers, springs, and sway bars shared with the //M variants. An exclusive ZF 6speed manual transmission option previously only available to the M3.

The ZHP package was available on e46 sedans, coupes and convertibles. Here are the composite production numbers:

My particular car, a sparkling graphite metallic coupe, 6 sp manual, with grey leather interior is 1 of 19 as optioned. It doesn’t make it a collector’s car, but it is pretty unique and desirable as optioned. It would be considered a “future classic” as I think a lot of Miatas are. There were a LOT produced, but not many in this style and options. Given the attrition over time, the popularity of the Spec e46 racing series in the US, and the 1 - owner history of my particular car, it’s special and I’m extraordinarily fortunate to have it.

I bought this car from the original owner. He special-ordered it after experiencing sticker shock shopping for an M3. It has lived in Georgia all its life, very detailed and comprehensive dealership repairs, zero accidents. The owner was transitioning into retirement, and it was just dumb luck I saw his ad 20 minutes after he posted it.

This one has subtle, quality upgrades (Dinan intake, bracing and stage 2 software), 100,300 miles, and was well-loved.

I was originally looking for a 128i with a 6sp manual, but was watching e46 coupes too. Both are pretty hard to find in my experience, especially clean, well-cared for, and I was looking coast to coast. This one was 45 minutes from my door, literally around the corner from where I adopted my current two greyhounds.

I bought the car the same visit I first saw it, and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving it these past two weeks.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (06-27-2021),HarryB (06-28-2021),MiataQuest (06-27-2021),Professor Dwight (06-28-2021),RustRat (07-04-2021),speedypenguin (06-28-2021)