Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 330Ci ZHP

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Does that grease leave any residue on glass or clothing?

No todo que es oro brilla.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    It’s not a petroleum product. It’s a silicone sort of grease but not like a silicone spray. It’s a Honda product, they use it to solve squeaks and use in places where petroleum greases may coagulate over time. This is an article about it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hem...-shin-etsu/amp

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-04-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Deep-cleaned the leather bits today.

Before sample:

After:

Seats cleaned, steamed, moisturized.

It was pretty dirty.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-04-2021),HarryB (07-05-2021),MiataQuest (07-05-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Found a shop down the street to do the alignment today.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-05-2021),MaRcOp01o (07-06-2021),MiataQuest (07-11-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

330Ci ZHP

Continuing to reset the maintenance, which has been pretty easy with this because of its previous ownership, I addressed the caliper guide pins on the front. I removed them, cleaned and lubricated them, installed new bushings for them.

They were pretty dry on the FR, which I believe explains some of the directional pull I occasionally get while braking.

I also changed the oil. This is so_easy on these cars.

Drove the car up on ramps, removed the drain plug, then went back up top to the engine bay.

The oil filter cartridge is up top. Remove the plastic cap, pull straight up, and the cartridge comes out easily.

Most quality replacement filter cartridges include a cap o-ring, filter, and a copper crush ring for the drain plug.

WIX EP FTW!

Reinstall the drain plug with new washer, drop in 6.9 qts. Done!

I also masked off the bumper to touch up the blacked out lower grill.

You can see some paint has come off from hitting debris.

Good ol’ satin black spray paint, the detailer’s secret to refreshing the details on any car. I used to do this on the sills of my NA. It was surprising how much road blasting those were exposed to and how much this simple trick freshened the appearance.

4 light coats, 10-15 minutes apart, 12-15” from the surface attains a nice, even satin coating.

Wait about 30-60 mins to remove the mask, allow it to cure overnight.

Before:

After:

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-10-2021),HarryB (07-11-2021),MaRcOp01o (07-13-2021),MiataQuest (07-11-2021)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    These "in your face" oil filter cartridges are godsent

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-11-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I can’t disagree. Easiest oil change ever.

Thanks Given
    I was just admiring that but "in your face" puts it nicely.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

330Ci ZHP

Got around to ceramic coating the car. Not sure what the fuss is all about regarding screwing this up, it’s pretty easy.

Wash>claybar>wash>mild cut and clean with the DA>wash>wipe down with an alcohol&distilled spray>ceramic coating>wipe&buff, then give it a day to cure.

It was more noticeable on darker colors like this car. I did all the glass and black trim, too. I’m pleased with the results, it is extremely hydrophobic. Black plastics respond really well to it. I plan to get some more do the wheels and other stuff.

Another project approaching next weekend.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-18-2021),MiataQuest (07-28-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

330Ci ZHP

First pandemic-era car meet for me, just a little one really close to my home. It’s not my scene anymore (car shows/meets), but I do love seeing these vintage models.

There are a growing number of these e30 wagons in the ATL area. This one was a little beat outside, but had a really cool m-tech style cloth matching interior.

(Bad pic, I know)

I think I missed my best chances to ever own one of these

I parked next to this z3 coupe. It’s ironic because I was seriously considering buying this exact, haggard one to restore.

And this neat Nissan Cima lurking in the background.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (07-18-2021),MiataQuest (07-28-2021)

Thanks Given
    Your ceramic job looks freakin' amazing! It's the cutting part that freaks me out a little. I know a clear coat is only so thick and every cutting process takes a little bit of thickness away. Have you used any clay bar pads? It's really more like a sponge than clay.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

330Ci ZHP

Thank you!

The cutting part does take a little knowledge, but most are pretty mild where most DIYers won’t take that much off. Not using it over body lines and ridges is also key.

I prefer the clay to the mitts, but I feel like the mitts are better for regular use.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts
    Sweet ride. I've always loved these cars but I've long felt they were overpriced on the used car market and today it's only worse. People are asking big money for them, money that used to buy an M3 6-speed convertible. Now I'm looking at beater 323i and 328i instead. Although those tend to be expensive because of deferred maintenance and dreaded previous owner syndrome.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-22-2021)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    Sweet ride. I've always loved these cars but I've long felt they were overpriced on the used car market and today it's only worse. People are asking big money for them, money that used to buy an M3 6-speed convertible. Now I'm looking at beater 323i and 328i instead. Although those tend to be expensive because of deferred maintenance and dreaded previous owner syndrome.
    e36s are getting hard to find in decent shape at a fair price, e30s are too high now. You can find the model you want, but you really need to delve into the minutiae of the packages, or use a VIN decoder to see what it came with/should have. I was looking for a 6 speed manual 128i in certain colors and packages. The e46 coupe in a manual was the backup because I knew they were getting harder to find and prices were going up. I felt more comfortable with the idea of maintaining an e46. There were a few 325Ci that popped up (one literally 2 miles away but the owner was only interested in trades for a 4x4), the occasional 330ci, but I had my search radius about 500 miles out to watch ones coming out of FL. This particular one was just dumb luck, super clean, local, low miles, and I got it for $8000. That is insane in today's market and I am confident this car compares extremely well or better to the ones I see on BaT selling between $12-15k. Long story short; expand your search, be patient, stay vigilant.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given

330Ci ZHP

This weekend’s agenda: cooling system reset:

A spiffy arrangement of engine cooling accoutrements.

L > R (above): t-stat & housing, metal H2O pump pulley, BMW coolant (blue stuff), idler pulley, tensioner pulley,steering shaft coupler, H2O pump, fillister bolt, serpentine belt. All this for just under $300.

(Above) Black plastic piece is the radiator panel overflow bracket.

(Above) new radiator

People complain about BMW cooling systems, but they are really easy to remove and install. They use a lot of plastic, but the failure points (H2O pump pulley, pump impeller) and other parts can be found made of metal. 80-100k miles is around where they should be done, some last longer but it’s a risk.

The cooling system is highly modular and the components can be replaced individually. For instance, to replace the H2O pump on an NA/NB Miata, you have to disassemble the front of the engine, timing belt, etc. On these, once you remove the serpentine belt (super easy), you can remove the pump without disturbing the engine. Yes, you open the cooling system, but that’s expected.

If I do a Miata H20 pump, I’m expecting 6-10 hours, depending on everything else I replace. On this car, 1-2 hours.

I didn’t order the main hoses and expansion tank because the previous owner had the dealer do them in late ‘19, then the car sat during the pandemic. There are about 3k miles on them.

The steering coupler is a wear item and OCD thing for me to eliminate the free play in the steering wheel. I did this on my e30, it’s a pretty easy job.

Tensioners and idlers are just common sense and virtually no time to replace during this job.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-24-2021),MiataQuest (07-24-2021)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast