Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual vented & non vented oil catch can manufacturer

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    Miata Classic Red 1997 w/Tan interior
    Thanks Given

Dual vented & non vented oil catch can manufacturer

I had my computer cleaned and lost my bookmarks. There is one I really liked made by a company that starts with a K (If I remember right). Could someone Please help me out? I have tried looking on my own of course, but to no avail. Thanks, Chris

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Satisaii's Avatar
    Drives
    2020 Polymetal GT
    Thanks Given

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satisaii For This Useful Post:

atlex (07-08-2021),MiataQuest (07-07-2021)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Radium seems the most legit option out there. Not cheap, but proper engineering comes at a price.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys, but no it's not Radium, it's another company and I'm pretty sure their name starts with a K. It's a rather simple aluminum square canister that is vented on one side and non vented on the other with a plate welded in-between so one does not affect the other.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Dude there are like 20,000 companies selling catch cans, Mishimoto Perrin Moroso Jegs Greddy and all the counterfeit on eBay. Why are you set on just one? Also is more important to vent the valve cover properly than to find a fancy brand name catch can

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hyper For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (07-16-2021),Slampen (07-16-2021)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    There is ONLY ONE that starts with the letter K that is a vented and non vented in one that is made out of aluminum. It is what I NEED for my application. Why is it EVERYTIME I ASK A QUESTION SOME KNOW IT ALL LIKE YOURSELF HAS TO CHIME IN WITH SOME STUPID REMARK!!! I'm 63 yrs old and this isn't my 1st rodeo!!! I do know what I'm talking about and do not need some wise ass telling me off!!!

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Everyone take it down a notch please. I've been reading on Vette forums that venting straight to atmosphere might not be the best idea either. Personally, I'd rather build my own than buy retail but let's discuss.

No todo que es oro brilla.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (07-25-2021)

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CLZinn2 View Post
    There is ONLY ONE that starts with the letter K that is a vented and non vented in one that is made out of aluminum. It is what I NEED for my application. Why is it EVERYTIME I ASK A QUESTION SOME KNOW IT ALL LIKE YOURSELF HAS TO CHIME IN WITH SOME STUPID REMARK!!! I'm 63 yrs old and this isn't my 1st rodeo!!! I do know what I'm talking about and do not need some wise ass telling me off!!!
    you could be 90 years old, if you are hardheaded or unwilling to receive information as feedback is like talking to the wall.

Designing a proper catch can system for your car has more science involved than just a name brand. To start I want to ask you if the engine is stock or if you already made some changes to it. Why don’t you put a picture of the engine bay? Perhaps a drawing of what you intent to do? Is the car turbo? Supercharged? Engine built? High compression or stock? All those factors play a significant role in your catch can design. I will know right away if your engine needs a vent to atmosphere catch can (breather) or recirculated (oil separator) are you trying to enhance performance in any way or just want to invest on a fancy catch can that starts with the letter “K” to win mad points at the car show? Explain

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    you could be 90 years old, if you are hardheaded or unwilling to receive information as feedback is like talking to the wall.

Way to go, champ. The first two lines were uncalled for, the rest was informative.

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Way to go, champ.
    I have been busy how are you?

Thanks Given
    Honestly, not very happy with your disrespect at the moment.

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Honestly, not very happy with your disrespect at the moment.

FIND a word in any of my comments where I said “stupid” or you are ignorant” or any like that. I haven’t nor I will disrespect a fellow member like that. What I said was constructive criticism or feedback. Should you or the OP got upset is a different story.

Now back in this topic. Based on my own experience and everything I read, the topic with catch cans suggestions etc. believe it or not is like a double edge sword. Personally myself I have seen designs on Miata builds that I tried applying in my build to later learn is a fail. I have seen videos of people putting metal scrubs inside the baffles. Others just putting $20.00 catch can with smaller than 3/8 hoses not understanding that the engine needs to ventilate and breathe. Such restrictions end up blowing gaskets, a simple test if your engine dipstick keeps popping most likely you have an issue with positive crank pressure ventilation.

To resume my intention was to help the fellow the OP, not insult as I believe I am educated enough to give feedback on the subject matter.

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Everyone take it down a notch please. I've been reading on Vette forums that venting straight to atmosphere might not be the best idea either. Personally, I'd rather build my own than buy retail but let's discuss.
    that depends on the engine.

First vent to atmosphere catch cans are considered illegal and if not properly installed at least in a Miata they will release nasty odors, oil spills or in the worst case blown seals. Breather (VTA) catch cans are good is you can understand how the Miata engine works. The Miata valve cover itself has a breather port (exhaust side) and a restrictive port which is where the PVC is located. In the BP blocks and to further understand why the PVC side is the restrictive side simply remove the engine valve cover, remove and inspect the internal baffles

Most people get confused as to which side they should install a breather and or oil separator catch can. Assuming you are routing a line back to the intake manifold, an oil separator should be placed on the restrictive side (PVC). In the case you have a turbo, is best to bypass the intake port and put an oil separator between the PVC side and turbo inlet. This design will allow engine gases to escape while minimizing blow by at minimum. The exhaust side of the valve cover is the breather side. This is where the Vent to Atmosphere catch can should be placed. A simple mod is to bypass and tap the line already existing in the factory intake pipe. “Some people like to put a filter here.” I prefer to remove the fitting there and install a -10 am line to a VTA catch can where the lines face up in order to minimize blow by..

Last, the topic doesn’t end here. There are other solutions in order to achieve the ultimate daily driver catch can set up. What is left for discussion applies to high compression: high pressure oil pump builds where where engine blow by is more of an issue. On high horsepower Nissan GTRs V8 blocks with Cams I have seen designs where they send excess blowby to the oil pan, expensive vacuum pumps or Venturi design to exhaust downpipe.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    All I asked was a simple question and wanted a simple answer. This is a car HOBBY site and a HOBBY is supposed to be FUN. There is NO NEED AT ALL to tell other people off or to put them down. Perhaps a reading lesson would be in order for HYPER, as I took the time to ask exactly what it was I was looking for and there was NO NEED to try to set me straight. I don't care to hear what you think I should do and how I should do it. It's people like yourself that suck the FUN out of the car hobby. It sure is a shame that a person can't ask a simple question without some know it all jumping down their neck. Thanks A Lot Hyper you have been such a HUGE HELP! Hope you got you cookies off.

Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by CLZinn2 View Post
    All I asked was a simple question and wanted a simple answer. This is a car HOBBY site and a HOBBY is supposed to be FUN. There is NO NEED AT ALL to tell other people off or to put them down. Perhaps a reading lesson would be in order for HYPER, as I took the time to ask exactly what it was I was looking for and there was NO NEED to try to set me straight. I don't care to hear what you think I should do and how I should do it. It's people like yourself that suck the FUN out of the car hobby. It sure is a shame that a person can't ask a simple question without some know it all jumping down their neck. Thanks A Lot Hyper you have been such a HUGE HELP! Hope you got you cookies off.
    Like I said I never mean to insult you. My intention was exclusively to help you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast