Thread: Will a 14 x 7 +8 B type RS Watanabe wheel clear 96 na8 brake calipers?

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given

Will a 14 x 7 +8 B type RS Watanabe wheel clear 96 na8 brake calipers?

I am looking to purchase a set of rs watanabe wheels in 14 x 7 +8 b type and i was wondering if anybody knows if the wheels will clear the brake calipers without paying them to shave the rear of the spokes? Thanks.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Roadster7's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Roadster
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 402 Posts
    Nic may know (@kawaiiroadster on IG, ihatecars on here). I believe he has these wheels but on 1.6 brakes.

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the heads up! I will check in with him.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift oldgrayleather's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Mariner, '92 SB, '91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,787 Times in 946 Posts
    Let us know in this thread please

Drives
    Chaste White 96 NA
    Thanks Given
    Reached out to kawaiiroadster and i have confirmed with him that the 14 x 7 +8 type b wats will clear 1.8 na brake calipers. So for those that wanted to order a set in those specs should be fine. I was originally going to put an order in, but decided to just save my money and wait till the next sale comes about. Thanks for the help guys!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willywongka For This Useful Post:

oldgrayleather (11-22-2021),Phatmiata (11-23-2021)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Willywongka View Post
    Reached out to kawaiiroadster and i have confirmed with him that the 14 x 7 +8 type b wats will clear 1.8 na brake calipers. So for those that wanted to order a set in those specs should be fine. I was originally going to put an order in, but decided to just save my money and wait till the next sale comes about. Thanks for the help guys!
    next sale is in jan 50 percent off

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bogaut For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-22-2021),oldgrayleather (11-22-2021),Phatmiata (11-23-2021)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Love the Watanabe wheels owner page with all the owner cars with Wats.

https://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/category/userphoto/mazda/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

HarryB (11-25-2021)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bogaut View Post
    next sale is in jan 50 percent off
    Care to share details? All I can see is a general 20% discount if purchased through Falcon-d. And a limited 40% off campaign for Type R wheels.

Has anyone ordered directly through Falcon-d for new Watanabe wheels? Or should I use a broker like Rev9 or someone else?

I’m interested in F815-80 +3 in the optionally available 4x100 PCD. Still trying to figure out color. Watanabe colors are so confusing. I want a dull light gray color center with machined lip. I think that means Mg (aka “Mug”) with diamond machined lip. But I’m trying to understand the difference between Mg and “Black,” which is actually gunmetal gray.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    Care to share details? All I can see is a general 20% discount if purchased through Falcon-d. And a limited 40% off campaign for Type R wheels.

Has anyone ordered directly through Falcon-d for new Watanabe wheels? Or should I use a broker like Rev9 or someone else?

I’m interested in F815-80 +3 in the optionally available 4x100 PCD. Still trying to figure out color. Watanabe colors are so confusing. I want a dull light gray color center with machined lip. I think that means Mg (aka “Mug”) with diamond machined lip. But I’m trying to understand the difference between Mg and “Black,” which is actually gunmetal gray.
    I ordered mine through Watanabe direct but Tom at Secret Factory effectively took payment and acted as the intermediary.

Mug is magnesium-ish. The unfinished color of Magnesium wheels is Mg標準色. There are lots of pictures in my build thread of what those look like. They also offer something very close on their aluminum wheels and call it オプション. It is supposed to be close the the Magnesium finish and is slightly brown. I *think* what you are looking for is just black (they reference it's called gunmetal by other companies). It looks more gray than matte black or glossy black. Hopefully that helps?

https://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/products/wheel/color/

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 433 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldgrayleather View Post
    I ordered mine through Watanabe direct but Tom at Secret Factory effectively took payment and acted as the intermediary.

Mug is magnesium-ish. The unfinished color of Magnesium wheels is Mg標準色. There are lots of pictures in my build thread of what those look like. They also offer something very close on their aluminum wheels and call it オプション. It is supposed to be close the the Magnesium finish and is slightly brown. I *think* what you are looking for is just black (they reference it's called gunmetal by other companies). It looks more gray than matte black or glossy black. Hopefully that helps?

https://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/products/wheel/color/
    Thanks. I’ve seen the color chart. But I don’t have a color calibrated monitor (just browsing on my phone or laptop) and just like wall paint, the wheel colors can change a lot depending on lighting conditions. I’ve been looking at lots of pictures and they can be deceiving. Sometimes I think a wheel is Mug when it’s actually Bronze or Black. My preference is a matte light gray color. Raw looks awesome but I’d need to do a matte clear coat to protect them. I’d like to buy new for quality and convenience sake rather than buy used just to refinish them.

Is this metallic silver?

This is “Mug” with cut lip

This is “Black” (Gunmetal) with cut lip

This is raw finish (no paint) with cut lip

What color are these? Mug?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Have you browsed the user photo section of RSW’s site? I did the same as you, looked at as many pictures as I could since I couldn’t find anyone with Mg wheels locally. You’re 100% correct in lighting conditions irl. The Mg were different than I was expecting when they finally showed up but thankfully I was happy with them. Good luck!