Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the Boosted Smurf

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Got my clutch line in. Started fiddling with how to modify the radiator to fit with the coolant reroute. May end up changing the routing of the IC piping where it comes to the TB.

Gonna change the brakes tomorrow.

Bought an exhaust. Kind of.

Bought another TPS, 3rd times the charm maybe.

If I can get the IC piping figured out the car might be back on the road in a couple weeks and that'll make me motivated to play with other things like EBC.

Will be getting some RS3's for the white wheels I was running a year or two ago as a temporary setup until I get some 15x9's for the street.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Was pretty much ready to rage quit on this car after tonight. I'll see how things go tomorrow; if no better than tonight it may just stay on jackstands for a while.

Wrapped things up on the car yesterday around 8:00pm. Made a new IC pipe that would work better with the reroute rather than modifying the aluminum rad. Installed my clutch slave and SS line, bled that. Brake pads and rotors at all 4 corners, and a bunch of other stuff.

Pulled it out of the garage after jump starting it. Drove it around but then went to burn in TunerStudio at which point the car died. Battery was the deadest. Bought a new battery.

It was all going fine until today at 4pm when I noticed I had very little brake pressure and the low brake fluid light came on. Headed home to see what was wrong with it and get more fluid until what I was almost certain was my 5 speed breaking.

To top it off my FM downpipe broke just after the flex portion.

It sounded like marbles coming from the trans in 2nd and 3rd, and a little bit in 1st but I was pretty close to home where I wasn't pushing the car at all. And I realized later that I still had perfectly good driveability in those gears, other than the sound of marbles. Thought I'd drop the trans and have a look except I'm stuck on the two top bolts and decided to walk away from the car for the night before I ruined my back anymore.

If I don't have any luck tomorrow I'll just do the tried and true way of pulling the entire motor/trans together.

I feel like its not my transmission that is blown up but rather maybe a flywheel bolt backed out. I just hope my clutch isn't destroyed.

I'd post pics but I've been too busy and frustrated to even bother taking pictures.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I guess I do have one pic of the car with how it sits now.. well how it sat earlier today before it was broken and back on jack stands

Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to psulja For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-14-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    At least I have a pretty solid streak of bad luck going. I guess it can only get better.

Blown motor in one of my daily drivers

Picked up my brother's car to do an oil change, didn't know he hadn't checked his oil in a bit. Motor seized while I was driving home

Pretty much ready to give up on cars, those happened 3 days apart and 3 days later this happened with the miata
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Jesus, man... what the hell are you guys doing to your cars up there? Good luck with repairs!!!

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I hate to hear about your misfortune, now things can only head upwards!! Keep your head up Paul.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    DUde, I am so sorry. I hope you get things figured out. Doesn't bad luck come in 3s? I think its over for you.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3flippyheadlights For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-14-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well after buying some more tools to get the job down I finally got the transmission out. Pulling a transmission out of a miata on jackstands solo with a hurt back and a hernia is something I never want to do again. Not only is my transmission broken, my clutch is toast as well after a burnout went badly. What we suspect happened is the transmission input shaft broke between the two burnouts, so when I went to do the second it was caught on the missing tooth, when I popped the clutch for the second burnout, rather than the power making it to the wheels, the trans wouldn't spin and the clutch did a burnout of its own. It all seemed okay until the following day when the transmission completely failed.

Also pictured is my broken downpipe.

That being said, since my transmission is toast and my clutch with about 4000km on it got destroyed because of it I'm not going to get a new clutch or another Miata 5 speed. The car is staying in the garage for another few months as I try to get some money together and collect parts to do my TII drivetrain swap. I was hoping to do that next winter but since this happened not even 24hrs after getting the car out this season I may as well take the necessary steps to eliminate all weak points. No point dumping $500 into a setup that is just going to explode again when I can spend a bit over $1200-1400 and have a bulletproof drivetrain with the only thing left to upgrade being the engine. Unfortunately, I just paid off all my school loans so there isn't much money left for car parts so it may be a while before anything happens.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Hooning is expensive!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-21-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Went to Cars & Coffee with a friend in his e36 m3 on Saturday and couldn't take the entire not having the car out with all this nice weather. Also ran into another friend at C&C who had a 5 speed and a BNIB clutch disk, bought the transmission and got the clutch for free.

Got home at 10pm, jacked the car up, installed the new clutch, transmission, and then put my torsen back in which I just removed to sell as a means of funding the TII swap. Started at 10pm, and finished up around 4am, but my car is back on the road!

Although it may be time to start taking it a bit easier on the car for a bit until I have more TII parts ready to go in. Almost turned the boost down today but decided against it; I'll see if that's something I have to pay for in the next couple weeks lol
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psulja For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (04-27-2014),WASABI (04-21-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Nice job, sir. Try not to blow this one up as fast
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Nice work. Glad you got here back on the road... Good luck with keeping her running!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys, maybe we should start a pool taking bets on how long this thing will be running before I blow something else up.

It's actually a frankenstein clutch setup just so I can have the car running. I don't expect it to last but if it does I'll be happy. It is a 1.8 flywheel w/ a 1.6 spec stage 2+ clutch disk, and an FM level 1 pressure plate (1.8). Still doing break-in miles to try to help it last a few weeks longer, but pulls have still happened because its just way too hard not to lol
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Cut my bumper today in preparation for the exhaust going on this weekend. Still needs to be smoothed out a little bit, but that'll happen on the weekend.

Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Looks good Paul! Good to see it back on the road again. What are you doing for exhaust?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast