Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RennenMetal Hardtop Brackets

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power morr's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given

RennenMetal Hardtop Brackets

A few years ago I purchased some RennenMetal tow hooks that have already come in handy a few times. I recently picked up a set of RennenMetal Hardtop Brackets in my quest for a comfortable and fun daily driver. A lot of people use them for Spec Miata, but some people use them on the street for a more solid feel in the entire car. I wanted to share my thoughts after a very positive second experience with David and his products.

Customer Service: 10/10
    I emailed David on a Wednesday asking about the brackets, because their website said they were out. He replied promptly and said it'd be about 10 days for the next batch was ready. However, he had a few sets that usually were reserved for vendors and offered to ship me a set. Obviously, I said "that'll work!" and late Thursday night he sent me a set of the raw steel brackets with the hex hardware. Much to my surprise, they arrived bright and early Monday morning! Not only did he go out of his way to get me a set of brackets, but he got them to me in a very timely manner.

Look/Quality: 10/10
    The brackets appear/feel to be just as good of quality as the RM tow hooks… solid, sturdy, but still lightweight. Since I opted for raw steel instead of powder coated brackets, I blasted them with a few coats of Plasti Dip. I'd never used the stuff before, but it seems to live up to the hype so far! Installation was straight forward… remove old brackets, replace with new ones. The only thing to mention is the need for a Torx T40 bit for the two screws on the front latches. I had everything up to a T30, so I ran out and bought a T40 for about a dollar.

Driving Experience: 9.5/10
    The first noticeable difference was leaving my driveway (this video shows what I'm talking about). It's a weird incline and you could always hear the hardtop flex, squeak, and squawk when backing out. With the brackets installed, I hardly heard/felt any movement whatsoever. Driving on the bumpy roads around here was a much more pleasant experience, because the hardtop was now firmly planted on the car. The only reason I gave this category a 9.5 is because there is a tiny bit of movement, but that's expected because (as David warns in the instructions) I didn't tighten the brackets as tight as possible to avoid possibly cracking the top on big bumps. Overall, they really tightened up the feel of the car and I love it. I'd almost go as far to say that it feels like the car was never a convertible to begin with. It feels more like one solid body.

Overall, I'm very pleased (yet again) with my purchase from RennenMetal. I'd recommend them to anyone for their great customer service and quality products.
    RoadsterLife<3

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Did you have any problems when installing it with the OEM latch bolts? My install became really frustrating when the bolt heads stripped, also somehow my bolts from Rennenmetal broke when bolting them up under hardly any torque at all.

I think my install was just a special case because I haven't heard of anyone else having that much trouble with it.

But the brackets are really quality pieces and I would recommend them to anybody that wants their hardtop held on more firmly for longer periods of time.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Nope, no problem with the OEM bolts going in. The passenger side front latch screws didn't want to come out though, so I drilled them out. No trouble with the RennenMetal bolts either... that's odd that yours broke The only thing I could think is maybe you had em at a slight angle so when you cranked it, it snapped. I noticed the screws/bolts were fidgety unless I had the angle dead on...
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Hmm, that could have been it but I don't think so, I'm pretty sure I had it all lined up.. Oh well, it's done now, still have 2 broken rennenmetal bolts stuck in my hardtop I have to get around to removing before next winter.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Dang, that's unfortunate Did you try contacting David at all about it?
    RoadsterLife<3

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I did, he wasn't too helpful about it but I wasn't about to make a big deal about it since it was one on each side so the brackets were still held on tightly, just need to find some time to drill those two out and get some other bolts.

For those that are having trouble with the OEM screws, a lot of hardtops had red loc-tite applied from the factory. The red loc-tite mixed with the really soft material of the screws leads to the heads stripping. Before trying to get them out and messing up the head use heat and that'll make it a bit easier to get the screws out. If this doesn't work and the head still sheers you can use a dremel to cut a slit in the head and try to get it out with a flat head (while heating). If that still doesn't work you might need to use vice-grips (w/ heat of course). If this still doesn't work you'll be stuck drilling it out. Yes I did have to go through all of those steps one a couple of my screws lol. I really hated installing the brackets but that's because it was one of those nights where nothing goes right.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    That's a shame... I did notice the red (now turned orange) loctite on the screws. It was odd that the driver's side came out very easily, but the passenger's side stripped almost instantly. I feel ya on things not working though... I've been trying to get my car legal to pass inspection/emissions here and one thing after another keeps going wrong.
    RoadsterLife<3

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! shane's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE
    Thanks Given
    Nice review, been meaning to order these the whole winter, now I'm ready to take the HT off lol

Is it ok to run the latches up front? Or is it better to just run full remental mounts?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I'm sure you'd be fine with latches up front but why not just get the entire package? I myself only got the front brackets and am running without the side ones and honestly, I wish I had the side brackets as well. With just the front I still get a lot of creaks and getting everything lined up properly would've been so much easier with the side bolted down.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:

Idling - Listen to it purr... PharoX's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I have a set myself and I have to agree and say that look and quality is hands down best in the market. Edges are round and flows nicely all together with the interior and quality, as mentioned, is very sturdy. I opted out for my own security bolts though.

Drives
    1990 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Good to hear of another satisfied customer! I mainly got mine for stability, but security bolts might not be a bad idea...
    RoadsterLife<3

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by psulja View Post
    Did you have any problems when installing it with the OEM latch bolts? My install became really frustrating when the bolt heads stripped, also somehow my bolts from Rennenmetal broke when bolting them up under hardly any torque at all.

I think my install was just a special case because I haven't heard of anyone else having that much trouble with it.

But the brackets are really quality pieces and I would recommend them to anybody that wants their hardtop held on more firmly for longer periods of time.
    I remember when I had my 92 a few years back, the bolts were also weak that came with the RM brackets, it snapped off. Also the fitment of the bracket were a little off. I wish I had a picture of it, as I sold the car a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the RM brackets are a nice fit now.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I think some people have had fitment problems on the front and end up using washers as spacers.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    My issue was on the side brackets as well, I drilled one of the holes bigger because the two top holes on the side was to close together.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Joker's Avatar
    Drives
    Yellow Turbo Miata
    Thanks Given
    Can someone tell me the torque specs or what the instructions say about tightening the bolts on these ? i know the instructions say something about not over torquing these.
    17 psi - Willwood/Sport - MS3X - 1.9L Built - Rival - 6uL - Cop - Kirkey - AWR 80 - BC Coils - Custom Chassis stiffening - ACT Prolite - ACT Xtreme PP - Custom 3 puck - 3" ARTech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast