Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given

Helmets!

Well right now I'm shopping around for helmets and was curious what everybody else is using.

I found this one a few hours away from me used for one season, he was asking $300 for it but is willing to let it go for $200. Comes with 2 extra visors, a bag, and the original box. It is an Impact Eurosport (SA2005).

Any opinions on using full face helmets for Autox? I'm planning to start out just autox'ing this year and hopefully near the end of the season or next year get into lapping days or time attack, going to an advanced driving driving clinic on the 22nd so figured it was about time I bought a helmet.

Post up your helmet and how you like it so far!
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

Idling - Listen to it purr... omar4578's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given
    Got this helmet like 2 weeks ago for laguna seca. My boss was a professional kart racer. And gt driver. He suggested this helmet for me to start off with. It's relatively cheap. 400 bucks. It's a bell M4. I haven't really used it But it's super light on the head and has holes for the neck brace for a future mod. Great helmet in my honest opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! modernbeat's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I autocross and rally. I use a full face for both. I used to compete in an open wheel car, and then a B-Mod car and bought an Arai GP. It's got sort of a small eyeport for rally, but I like it for autocross. If I do more than a couple rally events this year I'll most likely buy another open faced helmet for rally.

I also use an Arai XD4 on the bike.

I'm partial to Arai helmets because of the fit and longevity. I've tried a few others. Bell helmets don't fit the shape of my head.
    Jason McDaniel

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! JTninja's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    eh, save up for a SA2010 helmet, they're not too expensive and you'll be able to use it longer. A helmet's a good investment, and if you ever plan to upgrade, its easier selling a SA2010 than a SA2005

Edit: I bought my helmet as a birthday present to me, and being on a hs budget, went with a cheap SA2005 Pyrotect Full Face for a little over $200 about 5-6 years ago. Its a great helmet, but compared to others, its a bit big and heavy. Looking back I should have done more research looking for a lighter helmet.

Here it is
    Last edited by JTninja; 03-28-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Shifto's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I use an Arai for riding and at tracks.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JTninja View Post
    eh, save up for a SA2010 helmet, they're not too expensive and you'll be able to use it longer. A helmet's a good investment, and if you ever plan to upgrade, its easier selling a SA2010 than a SA2005
    At the moment I'm kind of on a really tight budget so I think I'll have to go with the SA2005. Ideally I'd get an SA2010 but seeing that I need something by the 21st/22nd of April that's not really an option at the moment.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! JTninja's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    why not just rent one for the event?

Don't forget to do research....heres one for $170 shipped

http://www.saferacer.com/zamp-racing...productid=2405

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given

My HJC helmet I bought from a local guy. Don't know much about them expect I can autocross with it. Got it for a whole twenty bucks
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I have Pyrotect and like it

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    HJC AR10

DSC_0822-2

Comfiest helmet I've used. Arai Gp6

DSC_0638

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! KAL's Avatar
    Thanks Given

My $50 helmet, its… black.
    '9 3 B R G

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Zamp Racing Helmet $169.00 shipped. Snell 2010 Certified, the whole shabangabang. I'm a baller on a budget so it's perfect for me

Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

Idling - Listen to it purr... Loren's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    If you're just getting started in autocross and on a tight budget, go with something cheap, open-face, and current spec. If you make the shift to track events within the next couple years, you can get half of your investment back out of a good Snell 2010 helmet. A 2005 will be near the end of its useful life by then. (typically 10 years max... SCCA will nix 2005 rated helmets as soon as 2015 helmets hit the market)

Unless you've got an open-wheel car to drive, you don't need a closed face helmet for autocross. And you don't need an SA rating for autocross. Save that extra expense for when you need it. (unless you really expect you'll jump into track events soon)

If you have the option of spending $200 for a used 2005 helmet that's a much higher spec than you need, or a new 2010 helmet that meets your needs for $50 less... think about it. You can probably even get an acceptable motorcycle helmet for under $100, it just needs a current (2005-2010) Snell sticker on it.

The general wisdom on cheap helmets is that if you have a $200 brain, go ahead and buy a $200 helmet. But, I think that scarcely applies to autocross, as the risk is EXTREMELY low. (driving home from the autocross is more dangerous)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    But, I think that scarcely applies to autocross, as the risk is EXTREMELY low. (driving home from the autocross is more dangerous)
    Makes sense. I just hate motorcycle helmets at auto events. I can't stand running tech for clubs that allow cycle helmets at track days. I typically say something to the owner anyways and tell them to step up to SA if they plan on coming back.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Feffman's Avatar
    Drives
    Miata
    Thanks Given
    Simpson (www.TeamSimpson.com) makes two SA2010 helmets, the Voyager and the K-10 for under $300.

Go SA2010 and you are good until 2020 and won't have any issues with any track organizations.

Feff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast