Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meguiars Gold Class Wax is CRAP!!!

Idling - Listen to it purr... WolfTDI's Avatar
    Drives
    Mariner Blue 1990
    Thanks Given

Meguiars Gold Class Wax is CRAP!!!

I bought this today and had to return it very shortly after. It goes on easy, comes off decently, but leaves a rough, powdery texture on the paint. I used microfiber towels, brushed cotton towels, and it made no difference. The wax wipes right off, but leaves a texture that feels like paint that is severely oxidized. Mothers cleaner wax and Zymol both took this rough crap off. This was all done after a fresh wash and clay bar procedure. I returned the Meguiars garbage and got another bottle of Zymol. All is good! I am officially finished trying Meguiars products. Barry Meguiar and his stupid smile can suck it!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Tkblazer's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 94
    Thanks Given
    I haven't used that stuff in 10 years, so many better products out there. I use opti-seal sealant when I'm lazy and do not want to spend the time to do multiple coats on a car since it just sprays on and does not have to buffed off. I really like the autoglym hd wax i picked up on clearance at pep boys, goes on easy and looks great afterwards. You just have to remember to use very little product when using a wax

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Some people hate it, but I really love Meguiars Tech Wax (2? the one on the shelf now days). It goes on easy, smells great, comes off even easier, and buffs to a fantastic finish. And it lasts about 2 months. And it's cheap and any store has it.

Love the stuff.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    I love my Tech Wax 2.0! And like you said, it does smell good!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Some waxes have to be used in a system to really be effective.

If you have a lot of oxidation or dirt in your paint, you can get results like you describe.

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Some people hate it, but I really love Meguiars Tech Wax (2? the one on the shelf now days). It goes on easy, smells great, comes off even easier, and buffs to a fantastic finish. And it lasts about 2 months. And it's cheap and any store has it.

Love the stuff.
    There's a big difference between Tech Wax and what the OP used.

Meguiar's has 2 different lines of products. There's their consumer junk that WolfTDI used and then there's their professional or Mirror Glaze line, which contains some excellent products. I use and recommend some of their Mirror Glaze products. If the front of the bottle doesn't say Mirror Glaze, then it is from their consumer line. If you want to evaluate their best stuff, make sure that it comes from their professional selection.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! friday's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I use their gold class car wash soap. It seems to do a good enough job and can be purchased anywhere. Car soap has to be easy to buy. When it comes to waxes I am a bit hesitant to buy the stuff you find at autozone. I use the Klasse All in One and Sealant glaze combo. Super easy and really nice. I think I can apply the AIO in less than 20 min.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Mexican_Guy's Avatar
    Drives
    the metro bus
    Thanks Given
    i got the same experiense too, i just hate it..

i use chemical guys butter wet wax, it works really nice
    2010 NCII TR

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    In my experience, high carnauaba based waxes just don't finish as slick as synthetic sealants.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch nickpic83's Avatar
    Drives
    94 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Use Adams polishes. They are great
    94-FM springs, tokico illumina shocks,fat cat motorsports upper mounts, Enthuza exhaust, konig rims, R front lip, alpine head unit, CAI, LSD, vodoo shift knob

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    Mothers.
    I used it when I worked at Callaway, and we absolutely refused to work with anything else. Nothing else was as easy, or came out as beautiful as it did with Mothers.

I've used probably every major detail brand out there. And I will always use Mothers for everything. I use it on the Porsche, I used it on the FD (I had to have it shipped out here), and I plan on using it for my future vehicles.

I spent about 3 months or so with a couple guys from our shop when I worked at Callaway to find a decent detailer product. And we messed around with everything (we have to detail each vehicle before we ship it out to the customer) and Pete Callaway is anal. We always got the best results with Mothers, throw in a lamb skin rag and a couple high quality microfiber towellets and you're in business.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Surprised tho hear the praise for mother's. I've never been terribly impressed with any of their products. That's not saying some weren't quite good. Just nothing really stood out enough to make it memorable . I did love their metal Polish. Their spray waxes didn't flash as well as others so needed a bit more buffing, and they either smell like cinnamon or baby oil. The soap was soso. Their clay bar seems to clay marr more easily than the griots I usually used.

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bigx5murf View Post
    Surprised tho hear the praise for mother's. I've never been terribly impressed with any of their products. That's not saying some weren't quite good. Just nothing really stood out enough to make it memorable . I did love their metal Polish. Their spray waxes didn't flash as well as others so needed a bit more buffing, and they either smell like cinnamon or baby oil. The soap was soso. Their clay bar seems to clay marr more easily than the griots I usually used.
    Two things. All clay legally sold in the USA at this time is made by ONE company (Auto Wax Company, also known as Clay Magic). Anyone else caught selling clay of any other production has had their panties sued off of them and lost. Thus, all the clay you buy in America is rebranded Clay magic and is all the same clay. So no one has better clay than anyone else.

Mother's Metal Polish is actually some good stuff. I don't know if they make it or not but it does work as advertised. Just don't get it on any other part of your car and leave it there for any significant time. You will catch hell trying to remove it.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Johnnie's Avatar
    Drives
    06 NC
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post

Mother's Metal Polish is actually some good stuff. I don't know if they make it or not but it does work as advertised. Just don't get it on any other part of your car and leave it there for any significant time. You will catch hell trying to remove it.
    Truth.
    John Evans
    >>>Li'l Stinker<<< https://www.facebook.com/litllestinker
    06 MX-5 Miata 6MT-- Quaife LSD >>>Li'l Stinker on MR.net<<<

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    I believe clay magic's patent had run out already. I've got mother's and griot's clay on hand. They both look the same, but the griot's stuff is noticably softer, and tends to glide better as in it's not as grabby.

I've been thinking of picking up some of the synthetic stuff, but am hearing really mixed feedback on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast