Thread: 2001, stumble and die/no start: fixed (CPS failure)

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts

Exclamation 2001, stumble and die/no start: fixed (CPS failure)

Symptoms:
    The day after a spritied Gearhead Dawn Patrol drive to Sebring, this 2001 started fine cold and made it out of the driveway a few feet and died. Pushed it back. Started fine again and then shut itself off. Next day, wouldn't start at all. No spark or fuel.

Threw P0340 code (camshaft position sensor).

Insepected cam position sensor wiring and then removed to check sensor pickup for metal filings or anything stuck to it that might interfere with signal. It checked out fine plus it is only 6 months old.

Knowing the cam sensor works in conjunction with the crank sensor, I turned my attention to the crank sensor now. Checked its gap to the teeth on the crankshaft timing wheel and it was in spec (.020-.060).

Got in closer with the flashlight and traced its wiring and found this. The fraying was actually hidden behind the pulley and not normally visible but I moved it into position for this photo. The sensor's wiring was rubbing against the water pump pulley and was grounding out. Temporarily pushed wiring off pulley and car started perfectly.

Removed the sensor for repair or replacement. Simple to do from above with a 10mm socket and short extension. Removal of belly pan not necessary.

One wire was frayed with a few strands cut along with oxidation so this was obviously a process that took some time:

Replaced sensor with another known good spare. This damaged one is easily repaired by splicing in a new length of wire and shrink tubing to seal away moisture and then taped or covered with loom.

Replaced sensor and rotated crank until timing tooth parked in front of the sensor and then bolted down to credit-card spec:

More importantly, ran the the sensor wiring into the water hose hook to keep it away from the pulley as it should be from the factory.

Closeup:

So...if you have stumbling, dying or no-start problems check the crank sensor and wiring even if you get a code for the cam sensor. If you replace the crank sensor, don't forget to tuck the wiring away from the water pump pulley.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent☣Orange For This Useful Post:

jux (11-19-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power f86sabjf's Avatar
    Drives
    02nb crystal blue metallic
    Thanks Given
    wow what a find . That would drive a lot of folks nuts. Including me

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Nice detective work Yellow! It's good to know your car like this, and fix/prevent this from happening again. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

-Jim

Thanks Given
    Great! I know it's dry stuff but at least a couple people are reading it. ;)

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SteelReign's Avatar
    Drives
    04 Steel
    Thanks Given
    This is great! my car's throwing a P0335 and I'm hoping to find it out there. The photos are so detailed that I don't know where to look initially! Maybe I should remove the airbox and crossover tube first...

Thanks Given
    Oh, sorry. All photos are of the crank pulley/ water pump pully area. The last photo (with the red circle) is a closeup of the water pump pulley on the left and the bendable metal clip holding the sensor wiring on the right.

The problem was that the owner had replaced the crank sensor before but failed to tuck the wiring into that clip thus leaving it resting on the pulley. Over time, the pulley ate away the wire insulation, leaving the bare copper wiring exposed.

When the bare wiring contacted the metal pulley, the sensor would ground and fail, leaving the car either sputtering after running fine, die on the road or not start at all.

All of this is best viewed with the intake snorkel removed of course.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SteelReign's Avatar
    Drives
    04 Steel
    Thanks Given
    Found mine...the wires looked fine but the sensor was covered in oil, so it was hard to even find! I cleaned off the oil but didn't remove the sensor. Lets see what happens...

Stalled - Fire it up!
    Drives
    A MX5 Roadster RS, 2001, Dark Blue
    Thanks Given
    HI GUYS!
    This was a great help. Just had Cam belt replaced, with Water Pump........ car ran fine for a day then had the stalling thing..
    The wire wasn't put back behind the wire guide/stay.
    Will sort.

Many thanks, all the way from New Zealand!