'91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Blueiii: "I'm sorry, Camber. What'd you say?"
    Camber: "MOAAAAAAAAAR!!!!"
    Blueiii: "I'm trying as hard as I can!"
    Camber: "TRY HARDER, HOOMAN!"
    Blueiii: "yes. yes m'am. right away m'am."

(Not sure why this is sideways...)
    2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Parts, parts, parts, parts, parts!
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Blueiii's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    2 weeks away from the first autocross, and I don't have ANYTHING installed yet! (If the 70+ hour weeks continue like they have, its not looking too good for the 21st!) I decided to at least get the tires mounted and balanced today so that I could start wearing the releasing agent off of them. . . Nothing like trying to autocross on - literally - grease.

I think the gold daisies came out "okay." Not great, but good enough for racecar. (Why? BECAUSE RACECAR!)

2012: Purchased Miata, Laid off 3 days later. 4th place overall (default!), NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2013: Budget RTR build, massive increase in participation, 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA (RTR)
    2014: Suspension and more active competition in STS. 3rd place overall, NWOR SCCA
    2015: Time for some "form" and vintage styling (while still racing NWOR, of course).

Check out my Miata Journal: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....-miata-journal

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    In 8 days, AutoX season starts! My dad might co-drive Camber with me since he's getting back from vacation Saturday night. Of course, its going to rain every day between now and then, so I probably won't get much installed before the race.

In any case, I decided to start putting my "coilovers" together Here's some information I found that might not be extremely intuitive:

If using factory springs, the long springs goes with the short shock (and the short shock goes with the long spring.) Doesn't seem to make much sense, so if this is incorrect PLEASE let me know!

Koni sports require that you drill the tophat to fit the shock shaft. I used a stepped bit to do this. What I didn't expect was that the metal washers in the FCM bump stop kit would also need to be drilled! I opted to purchase washers at Lowe's for $0.07 each. They're not as thick, but they should still do the job. These are part number 68880.

The instructions included with the shocks aren't the greatest, and when coupled with the FCM bump stops its kind of confusing. I purchased the 58mm red/white bump stops to be used with a racing beat hollow front anti-sway bar.

Well, here's what I learned...

The short shocks (1204) are the rear shocks. The rears should get the red bump stops and the longer springs.

The long shocks (1203) are the fronts and should have the white bump stops with the shorter springs.

It took me a while to match those up and find good pictures of the bump stops and spacers, so here are the fronts!

All put together...

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    I ended up taking them back apart after realizing I hadn't been consistent with my spring/tophat/shock placement. In other news, the loaner spring compressors from autozone, used with a electric impact, work eleventy-billion times better than using the harbor freight style with hand tools.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    Those look good, man!
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    April 21st: The first day of the autocross season. Camber will not be attending.

Yesterday I made the mistake of thinking, "Self, you have around 5 hours. Why not change out the sway bar for tomorrow?" This lead to "Self, the sway bar is out, but if you install the new one, then you'll just have to take it out while doing the shocks. Why don't you just change out the front shocks and turn them down for tomorrow?"

This was followed by lots of swearing and my hands being quite a mess. The magazine pictorial I was going off of (Thanks Project Car Magazine! I appreciate you publishing false information) said NOTHING about removing the long bolt. Quite difficult on a 21 year old Northern car.

It appears I will now be cutting my driver's side shock next week to remove a seized lower shock bolt. I figured I might as well go back to the passenger side as well and replace the lower shock mount bolt and the long bolt. Someone suggested lubing them, so I need to find out what kind of lube is recommended. (Moly something something.)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    I feel your pain on the shock bolt. I had to cut mine off as well. First you have to remove the lower control arm (mark your alignment bolts before doing this to keep your alignment close to where it was), then you cut either side of the lower section of the shock where the bolt goes through. Then you will need a new cutoff wheel to make a precision cut on each side next to the shock mounts on the lower control arm. Finally you will be able to reinstall everything and do use anti-seize grease on the bolt prior to installation.

You are one up on me. I have spent the last few months rebuilding the front end of the car and upgrading my suspension. I took it out one time to shake it out and had crazy vibrations from the rear. I got home and one arm of the differential had snapped. I spent all day today pulling a new one at the pick n pull so I can fix it this week. I will say that I broke it by using the differential as a jack point... I won't do that again!

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to find my camera so I can post pictures. I had no intention of saving the shock, so I cut it off right at the eye first. With the UCA loose (since the longbolt was out) I picked up a 4" angle grinder from Harbor freight (21.99) and a pack of 10 metal cutting discs (on sale!). I then used the discs and had to make three cuts on the bolt. It ended up coming out without an issue.

In other news, a text to my dad last night asking to co-drive his 91 resulted in me still being able to race today. Despite being the same years, they are slightly different cars. The ABS really killed me, since I'm used to braking HARD at the last minute. He got me on style points for the year on his first run, putting the car through the finish line backwards (spun out and somehow saved the run.)

I MIGHT have beat the Boss 302! I'm waiting on PAX times to be published... we were close. His best time was 45.xx mine was 46.74. If he's on the high end of the 45s I got him despite the problems I was having today!

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    After enough research on freeing the shock from the lower control arm, and seeing that the seized bolts are a fairly common problem, I decided it might be better to remove the passenger side as well and replace all the rusted bolts. The LCAs look good, but some of the washers and bolts have seen better days.

Placed a call into my local mazda dealership today and was told, "We can't order any of that... they are discontinued parts." Bull$hit. Rosenthal to the rescue!

Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
    BOLT (NA01-34-112)
    NA01-34-112 2 $14.25 USD $28.50 USD
    NUT (B037-28-091)
    B037-28-091 2 $5.39 USD $10.78 USD
    SHEET,RUBBER (G030-28-013A)
    G030-28-013A 4 $2.45 USD $9.80 USD
    SHOCK BOLT KIT (PK997801270H)
    PK997801270H 4 $6.95 USD $27.80 USD
    WASHER (NA01-34-117A)
    NA01-34-117A 4 $2.72 USD $10.88 USD

The only thing I couldn't get was the lower shock bolt nut, which I'll just source from Home Depot or something. The local guys were correct - the part numbers aren't available for all of this, but that's because the bolt in question is the same as a 99+ front shock mount bolt, so they just use those part numbers now.

And, since I'm ordering parts (and chewed up the bolts on my semi-rusted endlinks) I ordered a set of these:
    Super Miata End Links.jpg

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total
    BOLT (NA01-34-112)
    NA01-34-112 2 $14.25 USD $28.50 USD
    NUT (B037-28-091)
    B037-28-091 2 $5.39 USD $10.78 USD
    SHEET,RUBBER (G030-28-013A)
    G030-28-013A 4 $2.45 USD $9.80 USD
    SHOCK BOLT KIT (PK997801270H)
    PK997801270H 4 $6.95 USD $27.80 USD
    WASHER (NA01-34-117A)
    NA01-34-117A 4 $2.72 USD $10.88 USD
    Note: One of the nuts I ordered isn't correct. Not sure which one, though. I found out we have a Fastenal locally, so I'll be visiting them on lunch for some fine-threaded, grade 8 hardened nuts today.

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    I MIGHT have beat the Boss 302! I'm waiting on PAX times to be published... we were close. His best time was 45.xx mine was 46.74. If he's on the high end of the 45s I got him despite the problems I was having today!
    RESULTS HAVE BEEN POSTED!! I beat the '13 Boss by .0153 seconds... less than 2/100ths, but I still got him (in my dad's car no less!) Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get my car back on the road.

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Its been a crazy past 2 weeks! As promised, some pictures of what's left of the shock after I cut it. For those wondering what to do when your lower shock mount bolts are seized, a sawzall right a the bottom of the shock (above the "eye") can be used to make a nice, clean cut. Then, with your handy Harbor Freight $14 angle grinder and a 10 pack of metal cutting discs, start slicing...

Sorry for the picture quality...

Moar Carnage

Cut-up shock balancing LCA (instead of the brake line holding it up)

Success!

Out with the old and skinny, in with the new fatty!

Dang Guuuuuuurl, you think as hell!

That don't stop me from gettin' you all frosty wit' some 'dat blang-blang.

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Got the rears installed just in time for NWOR Event #2. Alas, the alignment will have to come later.

Since I last raced Camber, I've installed: Koni Sports with FCM Bumpstops, RB hollow bar, Dunlop Star Spec IIs (185/60/14) and discovered my rear bar was seized to the endlinks. (Another call to 949 is forthcoming...) For event #1 I drove my dad's car and managed to out-pax the Boss 302 by .0153 seconds, a fairly slim margin of victory.

Today was a LONG course (0.8 miles long) and we only got three runs. The ZII's are LOUD. I only got 1 good run in (my first) which was good enough for an 11th out of 17. The second run I became overconfident and just plain overdrove the car, but I'm a guy. I'm stubborn. It clearly wasn't my fault, decided I just needed to tinker some more. Well, turning down the rear shocks and airing down the back tires made the car handle like poo'. I managed to understeer so bad during a slalom I pushed straight through the second cone. (I've never hit one straight on like that before!) My overall placement definitely improved, but I felt like I didn't drive very well.

Ready to leave!

Got to hang out with some of me-otter friends, and made a new one from Columbus. Suggested he check out the site!

I'm torn. Its quite sexy, but probably not a true autocross car!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy

Beans (On here) didn't get a Miata. Instead, he got what I shall henceforth call "RollPig" until he gets some proper suspension and tires on it.

Mustangs and BRZ's and Camber, oh my!

Drives
    '91 Red (aka "Camber")
    Thanks Given
    Its official... my photography skills are the suck, but someone snapped this off at the race, and apparently his don't...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast