Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Vindi Roadsters

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Not had time to get the exhaust out yet, the car is away having the cage put in anyway so I've just had a bit of a peek ... wow, this is so beautifully made! It's more than I was going to spend but my main focus is always losing weight wherever I can so this fits really well with the rest of the car. It's made from fairly thin wall stainless, all the hangers are hollow tube rather than rod, the flanges are pressed with a return edge rather than just cut from thick plate. Really well thought out.

Also managed to get hold of a set of flush lights, which arrived from the Netherlands yesterday. No motors or linkages equals a load more weight saved. I'm not sure how good they are as the seller told me they look a bit low and some of the light is lost... most likely I'll cut them about a bit and see if I can raise the lights up and forward to make the most of the small light units output.

Fingers crossed the car will be back before Christmas, with a cage!!

Russell

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Got the flush headlights fitted for a first look .. they don't look bad for a DIY job but I'll have a mess to get them a bit better. The inside light on both sides is too close to the edge, and both lights are too low down meaning you can't see them very well and a decent amount of the light is wasted / deflected because they are too close to the bottom / side. I'm not sure if they are road legal, but I doubt it, and I'd want them to work better than that in any case so I'll cut them about to get them higher and moved over a bit. Will mean reshaping most of the centre piece, but I'd hate to be bored at Christmas!!

Also had a visit from a friend of mine who has been making a Fastback for himself ... he's had it sprayed at last so it's a bit easier to look at the shape and see where it might need improving.

I love the overall shape, but think I'd personally prefer the sides to be straight and would just live without the filler cap (can be relocated to the boot) and the aerial (don't have a radio). Andrew has added the scallops to allow it to be lifted on and off without having to change or move anything ... so fitting it takes the same time as a normal hard top.
    I would also prefer the side quarter windows to follow the lines of the car more. They are a quirky bubble window that's a shape the fabricator already had but I'm not sure they work for me.

Any thoughts / opinions welcome, it's not finished yet so would be good to get some feedback on it

Russell.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power bogaut's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda Familia
    Thanks Given
    i agree with your thoughts on it. window looks out of place and the curve around the antenna is awkward

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Paul B's Avatar
    Drives
    White NA Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 575 Posts
    Needs better shaped window and definitely tell him to do away with the antenna!

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Cheers guys, kind of what I thought. Might get a load more pics including close ups and start a separate thread for it, get a bunch more opinions before I give some feedback.

Russell.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Well this "budget build" gets more and more amusing ... just been offered a set of Xida shocks. Can't really say no as they rarely come up over in the UK. So if anyone goes past me on the corners it's pretty much down to my lack of skill!!

Russell.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vindi49 For This Useful Post:

HarryB (12-27-2015),Vegard (01-07-2016),WASABI (12-28-2015)

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    More progress ... got a Nopro quarter window from Japan that arrived a few days back, so fingers crossed will fit that when the car gets back. I also got a customs bill which means my wheels are arriving very soon. Need to find some tyres, although I might have found an option with the Dmack track day tyres .... they come in both 225/45/15 and 265/40/15 so they look like they might work on my 9" / 10" wheels. I'm tempted to get a pair of the 225s first and test fit one on a 10" wheel as if they fit ok I'll stay with 225 all round.

I keep thinking about the engine and I may well go back to a Mk1 1.6 or 1.8. My thinking is that if I want to start into competition, the easiest stuff to find in the UK is sprints and hillclimbs. The regulations state that you can mess with the engine about as much as you want, but the block has to be from the same Mark ... so my Mk2.5 / 2 engine would put me in the modified category, up against all sorts of stupid fast cars. That said, my wide bodywork may put me in that category anyway, so it might not matter!!

Russell.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Don't do the 265. Go 225 all around, they are barely stretched on a 9" so a 10" will be fine. If you do 225/45 r888 all around and don't like them on the rear you can go up to 235/50 in the rear. Marlon runs the 235s, check his thread for photos.

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Don't do the 265. Go 225 all around, they are barely stretched on a 9" so a 10" will be fine. If you do 225/45 r888 all around and don't like them on the rear you can go up to 235/50 in the rear. Marlon runs the 235s, check his thread for photos.
    Very interesting, thank you!! I've not come across the 235 before, they are not available in the UK but if they can be bought somewhere that's good enough for me!!

Russell.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Camskill has them listed: http://www.camskill.co.uk/brands/toy...-day-tyres.php

I ordered a set of 225/45s from them, good prices (at the time) and quick shipping (to Norway)

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Camskill has them listed: http://www.camskill.co.uk/brands/toy...-day-tyres.php

I ordered a set of 225/45s from them, good prices (at the time) and quick shipping (to Norway)
    Strange, I hadn't spotted them before ... thanks for the info anyway, at least I can be confident they will be 100% road legal. Might go for 225/50 at the front to keep it better balanced?

The wheels arrived today so I'll order some 225s, put one on a 10 and see how it goes. I also managed to correct a mistake today, bought back my custom Revlimiter dials. I'm holding off with pics until there is a bit more progress with the car ... hopefully a couple of weeks and the cage will be in. At that point I have to make a decision with the engine, and then just get busy in the garage ... in theory a few weeks hard work should see it back together.

Russell.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vindi49 For This Useful Post:

WASABI (01-15-2016)

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by vindi49 View Post
    Strange, I hadn't spotted them before ... thanks for the info anyway, at least I can be confident they will be 100% road legal. Might go for 225/50 at the front to keep it better balanced?

The wheels arrived today so I'll order some 225s, put one on a 10 and see how it goes. I also managed to correct a mistake today, bought back my custom Revlimiter dials. I'm holding off with pics until there is a bit more progress with the car ... hopefully a couple of weeks and the cage will be in. At that point I have to make a decision with the engine, and then just get busy in the garage ... in theory a few weeks hard work should see it back together.

Russell.
    The 225/50 will be to tall for the front. Don't do it. Go with 225/45 all around, you won't need to change to the 235/50, but at least you'll have the opportunity, and in the rear you'll be sort of fine with the tall tire, but not front.

Drives
    Classic Red '91
    Thanks Given
    What are the wheel specs? And perhaps a picture?

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    What are the wheel specs? And perhaps a picture?
    I'll load up some pics tomorrow but they are 6ULs in Nickel. Strange to find them in Japan but I guess they aren't so well known over there so I got them cheaper than they should have been. Fronts are 15 x 9 et36 and rears are 15 x 10 et25. They will need spacers at the front but the rears will be ok I think

Russell

Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given
    Spent the day at the Autosport show today, good to see things in the flesh and get some inspiration for the project ...

Spoke to a guy from Maxxis, and he confirmed they have access to all the tyres available in the states. He also confirmed the new tyre (VR-1?) will be coming across in the same sizes and will be emarked. So if the 225s don't work for me I'll be able to get the 245/40 when it comes out

Spoke to a few people about suspension ... Ohlins was a possibility but they aren't quite right from the factory, and if I spend £1500 I don't want to have to spend more getting them re valved or whatever. I've found an alternative but I'll keep quiet until the deal is done.

Had a chance conversation with a guy I know who races a MEV (MX5 based kit car), he currently has a Rotrex charger fitted that he doesn't need any more so that could be an option ... it's a Kraftwerks kit and is currently at about 230bhp. There aren't many kits in the UK which is part of the appeal if I'm honest!

Also spoke to the guy fitting my cage, I'll go and see it tomorrow but it's not made much progress. Another week ... which is what they said last week ...

Russell

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5891011121314151617181920 LastLast