Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris's german retro JDM inspired '94 BRG NA8C

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HMT's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given

Chris's german retro JDM inspired '94 BRG NA8C

After having driven a Roadster for the first time in 2008, i knew that i had to own one at some point. In 2010 i had the financial means to actually buy one and after about a year of looking around for the right model - i wanted a '94 BRG 1.8 with the old 93 dash board, no ABS, no Airbags - and guess what, i found exactly that!
    It was located at the north sea coast of germany and i got it rather cheaply via ebay - didnt take a look at it before but owning Mazdas for 10 years i had a good idea of what to expect.
    A friend took me there, about 350 miles, and this is what i bought home:

On the drive home the car already exhibited a few problems (one being a lack of power above 4000 rpm) but all in all it was a solid purchase.
    Back home i immediately got rid of the hidious style bar and installed my pre-purchased Runabout mirrors as well as some Miata side markers and Eunos Roadster badges.

I then did a service including new valve cover gasket and therefore took the opportunity to spray the valve cover while i was at it - strut brace and Mazdaspeed wires went in at the same time:

Also installed some JDM interour bling items:

After that i got the car registered and finally could start driving
    The car still had no power, however i notced a whistling sound when revving abobe 4k rpm, so i ordered a Magnaflow cat and got incredibly lucky on ebay, where i sourced an original JDM Car Make Corn's cat back - locally for a bargain price. An opportunity that couldnt be missed:

Aand, this did the trick - the original muffler must have been blocked, since the swap the car revs happily and develops good (standard) power.

Next thing on the list were tires - i actually intended to run the OEMs for a whily, however the installed tires were just some cheap crap - so on with some black NB alloys and ZE912 rubber:

The keen observer might also notice the added R-package lip (I'm skipping some things and try to keep this a brief-ish introduction).

Some lucky ebay finds:
    Beatrush slam panel:

Leather instrument cowl:

Then it was time for the big delivery:

After installing, things looked a bit better

Second picture also shows Rikamae dook pulls, 320mm MOMO Corse wheel, Ally hand brake knob, VDO oil temperature gauge.
    What you cant see: Uprated H&R ARBs.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    Very nice!

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Okay, skipping a LOT of stuff that didn't happen (yet), this is next: new alloys in spring 2011.

Unfortunately i wrecked one of the alloys a short time after
    So i had to sport the OEM look for a while:

Luckily i could source a set of 6.5x14" +14.5 RS Watanabe B types a few weeks later - wrapped them in ZIEXs again:

Found out about the existance of the Moroso coolant tank and HAD to have one:

It was accompanied by an ITG Maxogen Intake:

Also added a KGW gauge cluster:

TR Lane power steering reservoir:

And just before winter found a ZOOM rear view mirror:

That's about the most important stuff that has happened over the last year or so.
    The car now sits like that:

I'm currently working on a MSDIYPNP ECU as well as a BP4W head and some other stuff - if you're interested, some more information can be found on my blog: http://driving-culture.blogspot.com/

Thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed the journey so far

Idling - Listen to it purr... Callasports's Avatar
    Drives
    White 94
    Thanks Given
    MX5 and your latest Watanabes look great. Regarding the set of wheels that got bent, what were those? Kinda interesting looking.

Now your P/S reservoir and intake are 2 things I've NEVER seen! Awesome.

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Thank you - i really have tot take better pictures next year - this thread made me realize that i mostly have crappy ones so far ^^
    The 15" wheels were from a company called MAS, they were sold through Mazda dealers when the MX5 was released here. They were quite popular, however only a few good sets survived. I might add here, that i actually sourced a brand new spare alloy to replace the bent one and sold the complete set to a fellow MX5 owner I would have kept them for the looks, but they really were too heavy and the difference in drivability is remarkable.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Clarence's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C
    Thanks Given
    Hi Chris, how i's going with your intake and TÜV?

PS: i tryed to contact Tim (TRLane) I had no reply for the PS reservoir can you tell me something? maybe PM me for the price, if it's too expensive i think i could polish the OE one^^

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    I really dont know much about the PS reservoir - i got it via ebay, seems to have been a one off item. I also mailed him about a dip stick (should have been included but wasnt) and never heard back from them...
    TÜV doesnt like the intake (just like almost all the other stuff ^^) - i'm gonna have a - presumably very expensive - TÜV session in spring and see how well that goes

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Clarence's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C
    Thanks Given
    i hope someone can close one eye or both^^

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Thank you, mee too

In the mean time i managed to finish my DIYPNP:

So far it seems to be working well, i could upload a firmware and connect to Tunerstudio:

Due to image limitations i wont post the whole process here - if you're interested you can continue reading here and here.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Boris's Avatar
    Drives
    92 Smurf
    Thanks Given
    Nice.
    Shame you have to go through all the hassle in the spring. At least you get to enjoy better roads.

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, it's not too bad.
    Only problem is my limited spare time that i will have to divide between my girlfriends car and my 3 Mazdas so i fear that there's a lot of delay to be expected...

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Alright, if alle goes well, a substantial update can be expected for next weekend

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Okay, still didnt manage to do the "big update" but at least i can show you a few pictures from last weekends meeting

Last edited by HMT; 07-30-2012 at 01:35 PM.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Muti007's Avatar
    Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given
    So many things I like about this car, especially as an overall package. But for some reason, that leather instrument cowl, man that just takes the cake, especially on top of the KGW gauges. LOVE IT! Ive never seen a cowl like that before and that has always been one of my top NA gripes, the cheapness, look and feel of the stock one.
    M
    Love all, trust a few, do harm to none....William Shakespeare

Drives
    '94 BRG 1.8
    Thanks Given
    Cheers for that
    The standard plastic cover really is a letdown...and i really love mine because it looks like OEM finish, not over the top structured leather or wobbly fitment as you get with most aftermarket covers, i just got lucky with this i guess

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast