Thread: turbo miata

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! mhogan0's Avatar
    Drives
    91 1.8 Miata
    Thanks Given

turbo miata

this not my car but i went to see it today and after seeing it i told the gut it would be worth $4000 for the most but that me and Im cheap i would like other opinions
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3139110543.html
    keep in mind it I didnt hear it run cause it had a dead batt and he couldnt be bothered to but one or charge it, interior carpet where MS was torn apart and the MS install was incomplete at best, because of the way he did the Rad and intercooler set up there is no blocking off of the Rad so air can spill off to the side the wiring in the engine bay was lets say compromised,( mice chew some of the wires ). Also the hard top needs paint work. All the things that Ive outlined are things not included in the add
    Praise be to Jah giver of speed and brakes, and the sense to know when to downshift

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I don't like buying project cars unless it is in a level of preparation I feel comfortable enough to correct or finish.

A car with a lot of custom mechanical and electronic work are the top of my list to avoid. You never really know what you are going to be dealing with. There are a lot of DIY turbo Miatas out there and each is completed to particular level of expectation and budget. It's a mixed bag.

That car, from your description, is a hot mess. Placing a worth in it? $3k or less. If the seller can't represent the car correctly in the advert (such "not running"), why pursue it? The car is going to need to be practically rebuilt because you aren't going to know all the little details he know about the construction. If he got into the wiring harness extensively, good luck. Even if you have extensive knowledge of turbo systems in Miatas, Megasquirt, and general Miata repairs, you have to stop and ask yourself, "What is my time worth? How much will it cost me to get this car to my personal level or satisfaction
    " and "Can I build another system better than this for less money on an untouched car?"

From my experience, a solid, well-built turbo system for a Miata is a $5k investment. I built another for less, but wasn't happy with it. That price isn't just for the system, you have account for the other upgrades required. Ballbearing turbo, braided lines, fueling, intercooling, reputable manifold, downpipe, exhaust, HARDWARE, driveline upgrades (clutch, differential), cooling system, oiling, engine, etc. Again it comes down to individual expectation and level of quality. I have listened to reputable Miata builders tell me that a turbo-charged track car will need $10-15k at a minimum to be reliable and competitive.

Buying a turbo Miata with a known system or even a modified known system is an easier proposition, but documentation and personal knowledge of the system is required, personally.

To me, this ad seems like the seller is trying to recoup his expenses. It is unrealistic. The best way is to part it out and sell the car as a stock runner, but he has gotten too far into it and wants to be done with it, at your expense.

Drives
    91 1.8 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thats basically the conclusion I've come to I'm starting to look for a clean car
    Praise be to Jah giver of speed and brakes, and the sense to know when to downshift

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    If a guy isn't interested in putting $75-80 into a battery, to sell a 6000 car, then yeah, he probably has something to hide.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! LOL's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Marina Green Mica M-Edition
    Thanks Given
    Coming from experience, don't buy someone else's project.

Drives
    91 1.8 Miata
    Thanks Given
    thats not the point he asked me to find a value for his car and thats what ive done have no intention of buying that car, like kfj said its not worth it