Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Just another silver NB....

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I am not sure to be honest. I always thought it was somewhere between 2" and 2.25" but I could be wrong. I do know for sure that just changing that rear section from the stock one gave it a bit of a rumble. Sounds nice enough for me to where I haven't looked at any other exhaust.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

HarryB (07-21-2020),MaRcOp01o (07-20-2020)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! MaRcOp01o's Avatar
    Drives
    93 EUNOS and 93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 567 Posts
    Plus it says Mazdaspeed on the tip so cool points +10.
    Follow the Builds
    1993 Eunos Roadster B-spec by Mazdaspeed
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....819#post222819
    1993 Mazda Miata LE
    https://mazdaroadster.net/showthread...233#post244233

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaRcOp01o For This Useful Post:

tsingson (07-20-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So I got the Pioneer install kit in sometime last week.

And just to show why I believe it was meant for the NB:

Got the bracket put on:

Before with the universal mount:

After with the Pioneer mount:

You can see with the Pioneer kit, the gaps are equal on all sides and it stays put. You aren't able to see the metal cage like with the universal kit. I actually had to use black electrical tape to kind of hide the cage from being seen. It might not be as noticeable to everyone but I do.

All in all, pretty happy with how everything turned out. Just need to sell the old radio so I can start clearing out the garage.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-02-2020),HarryB (07-28-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So I am planning to do a long drive to the Blue Ridge Mountains with the NB within the next few weeks. I think I will wait until I install the new motor mounts that I have had hanging in the garage forever. I have planned to install those during Labor Day weekend that way I am not in any rush to complete it. Any tips on installation is most welcomed.

I am looking forward to getting it out on a long trip with the deadened interior and new headunit and speakers. I was able to get some awesome volume from the previous radio, which I still have sitting on a shelf in the garage, but with the new speakers and headunit, it's on a whole different level.

That's it for updates for now and I will report back after the installation of the motor mounts and road trip.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Floor jack and a block of wood under the oil pan to support and lift the engine. A number of extensions and an impact for the bolts that connect the mounts to the engine and the subframe.

Keep track of which bolt goes where, the ones going into the engine are different lengths.

I do the majority of the work through the wheel wells, so you will need to put the front of the car on jackstands and remove the wheels.

The engine mount ‘cups’ are a little fiddly, but you will get a feel for how the rubber clips into it.

Keep everything loose until the mounts are lined up and in position. Once landed, tighten them all down.

If you have a buddy to help, it’s easier the first time. Some aftermarket headers make changing the left side a bear.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Slampen (08-17-2020),tsingson (08-17-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Awesome! Thanks for the information, Steven. I will more than likely have a buddy helping me. 01 manifold so it should be easier? Definitely looking forward to getting them on the car and down from the hook I have them hanging on. Just slowly trying to make sure that I address all of the items that have not been touched since I bought the car. Who knows if anything has ever been done on it. Waiting on the clutch to give out so I can address that and the RMS at the same time. Clutch still feels like it has a ton of life left though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-17-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Are these stock mounts?

I don’t recall there being a big deal swapping mine over last year where the 01 manifold interferes.

I remember doing them a few times on my NA and the JR header made it difficult. Same with another car with an RB header.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (08-17-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    They are RSpeed mounts that Martin gave me. Nothing fancy. It looks like they are slightly stiffer than stock so I will be happy. Nothing to rattle fillings. I remember you going through the hybrid mounts and not really liking them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

kung fu jesus (08-17-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    So I finally got the balls to attack the motor mounts. I did a lot of reading on it leading up to the day and I had come to the conclusion that I was either going to be completely screwed or it was going to be a piece of cake. So I finally got around to using the RSpeed motor mounts Martin gave me. I didn't get many pics of the install process itself but I did take some of the mounts and such.

This process is for an NB1 so it will vary for the NB2 and may also for your NB1. That's my disclaimer. So, I started by getting the whole car in the air. I did this because I was going to rotate my tires at the same time. But once the car was in the air, I removed the front tires. I then placed a jack with a block of wood on the oil pan and just had it barely putting weight on it. I then took a 14mm 6 point socket and removed the nuts in the cup holding the bottom of the motor mount. Once I did this on both sides, I started to slight lift the engine upwards. From inside the wheel wells and using extensions, you have can see the motor mounts. These bolts were 14mm as well. The drivers side bolts were the only ones that had a different length on mine so I took the advice of others and just made sure to keep the bolts in the location where they came from. Some have used cardboard and stuck them in it in the same way but I just placed them away from me in their respective positions.

Here is a view from the passenger side wheel well. You can see the bolts were removed but it is easy to access them with extensions.

Here are the mounts removed:

Here is a close up of one of the mounts:

Here is the mount removed from the housing:

Here is the old mount and the new mount:

No separation like I had read from others but you can see that tear/crack and they were pretty compressed.

So one thing to keep in mind is that the housing that the mount sits in has 2 holes on the corners. Those should be facing downwards. I think it's for drainage of water. Another thing to keep in mind is how high you can lift the engine. I do not have any coilpacks so I was able to go pretty high with it. The passenger side mount was able to move around the altenator and up and out that way. When I was trying to get the drivers side out, I forgot that I could lift the engine up so I was baffled on how to get it out. Once I remembered that the engine can go up, the mount was easy to get out through the top.

So once I had the mounts ready to go back in and I basically did the reverse of removal. I lowered the engine with the jack and lined up the holes and placed the bolts back in their correct locations. I then grabbed my torque wrench and set it to 45 ft-lbs. Everything went smoothly until the last nut on the passenger side cup.

It wouldn't click over and then snap. Damn. So I got on the horn and was ready to run down the way to Moss. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house to their distribution center on the East Coast and I saw that they have a mount in stock. Buuuuuuuuuuuut, they weren't doing any local pickups. Damn. So I had to wait 4 days for this mount to get to me. I went with a Mazda Comp mount.

I ended up putting it in on my lunch and then buttoning it up after work the day I received it.

First impressions? Shifts felt a bit cleaner and the car feels solid but it might be a combination of everything I have done. I am just glad that I know that it's done and that I did it. For anyone looking to do it, it's not that bad. I can only speak from an NB1. I got pretty lucky that the only issue I ran into was the breaking of the bolt.

Sorry for the long post guys. Tires for this might be next on the list. At least until the clutch goes out. Definitely doesn't feel like it will be anytime soon.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (09-02-2020),kung fu jesus (09-02-2020),LagBlu (09-07-2020)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Good job. Bummer that the bolt broke

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

MaRcOp01o (09-03-2020),tsingson (09-02-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Good job. Bummer that the bolt broke
    #arkansas

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-03-2020)

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    R-speed is in GA. It's their mount

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-03-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Arkansas never washes off.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Martin (09-03-2020),tsingson (09-03-2020)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Ok, so small update. I was looking through Craigslist like I normally do in the mornings before work and I saw that Jason at UsedMiataPartsOnline had a yellow 2002 SE that was destroyed from the rear. He had started to part it out so I reached out to him to see if he still had the OEM tower bar, the door sills and B-Pillar plastics. He had everything but the B-Pillar plastics. Oh well, no biggie. So I made a trip out to his house since he is local and was able to pick up the 2 items that I was wanting. I was also looking for a better condition NB Nardi steering wheel but he didn't have one in better condition than my current one.

So I got home and immediately went to installing the pieces. I won't bother you with pictures as the OEM bar removal is the 4 14mm bolts on the shock tower, remove, place bar on and reinstall. The door sills are just removing the original sills by pulling up along the length of the sill and carefully placing the replacement sills into place. There are a difference between the 2 sides so pay attention to which side is which. Mine were already marked by Jason so I am not sure if there is any factory markings. Here are the pics of the installed parts.

Small subtle changes but definitely needed for me.

I also decided to remove the hardtop and put the bikini top on. The weather has been real nice so I decided to enjoy it. Also while I had the top off, I decided to replace the bottom seal of the hardtop since mine was brittle and shrunk. I didn't use OEM but found a nice seal that is slightly bigger and has a slight texture to it. I don't mind as long as it works and isn't terrible looking. I found the seal on Amazon for about $13. The roll was 13ft long and it was more than enough to use for the bottom.

The OEM seal came off in pieces.

Having it in the air made it pretty easy. It probably would have been easier on the floor but I was storing the hardtop anyways.

Here is the car with the Project G G-String on. I will try to get more pictures when I get it out more. I am thinking a nice drive to the Blue Ridge would be a great background. Don't mind the grass clippings all over it. I cut the grass with the car in the driveway and it got all over it. Will get it out tonight to "air it out".

When I drove it around to do some errands, people just stare. I think they haven't seen a Miata with a top like that so it's extremely unusual for them. I just keep rolling on by. I think my next project will be putting an aftermarket defrost on the hardtop. I have been reading about what is needed and it seems pretty straight forward. I will make sure to document how I do it since I haven't seen many pictures or steps online on people doing it on a Miata hardtop.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsingson For This Useful Post:

HarryB (09-23-2020),kung fu jesus (09-23-2020),MaRcOp01o (09-23-2020)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    So glad to see you still enjoying this car, it's super clean and suits your personality.

Swap those shop lights to LED. I picked some up at Costco, ~$25/ea, a definite game changer for actually seeing stuff and they can be daisy chained.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

tsingson (09-23-2020)

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26293031323334353637 LastLast