Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting a big ol' photo in a thread

Idling - Listen to it purr... Callasports's Avatar
    Drives
    White 94
    Thanks Given

Posting a big ol' photo in a thread

Just need a quick tutorial or where to look on how to post a photo. It's something most of you can do in your sleep, but I need to learn the steps. My photos are in a Snapfish account so I should be able to link to them somehow...

Thanks!

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    Find your photo on Snapfish and get the link. In your post, use the image tag:

[ i m g ]yourlink[ / i m g ]

(omit all of the spaces between characters above)

That's it.

Drives
    White 94
    Thanks Given

Last edited by Callasports; 12-31-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Drives
    White 94
    Thanks Given
    Well, from my perspective, I can now upload a box with an "X" in it . Maybe Snapfish has something "protecting" my photos, not sure. Will keep trying. Any ideas? Oh, and thanks for the help. It does look like a simple procedure to follow - just not seeing it as of yet. Cheers.

Idling - Listen to it purr... jester911's Avatar
    Drives
    Sapphire Blue 99'AE
    Thanks Given
    I am not sure why it won't work with snapfish but I started using image shack recently. It is a breeze to upload pics to and you just follow the instructions to post pics. It is as simple as copying the link and pasting it in the forum.
    99' 10AE #2763

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    I'm not saying this is the problem but one thing I do before uploading to Photobucket (or any) is to reduce the size of the photos to 640x480 or 800x600 max if they're just going in a forum.

You can resize them after they're uploaded but it's a pain. But like Maz posted above, it's as simple as copying the image tag and posting it in your post. That's it. Keep trying.
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 01-12-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    Not sure about the first one, but the second image you tried to post... here's the link:
    http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/sha.../otsi=SALBlink

That link (if posted as a link) will take you to a Snapfish gallery, but it is NOT a link to an image, so the IMG tag doesn't know what to do with it.

It also appears to be asking me to log into Snapfish to view your photos, which I ain't gonna do. (and the requirement to be logged in is likely what is killing your first link.)

So, first you need to get your image somewhere that the general public can view it. If Snapfish won't do it, I know Flickr will. Easy and free. (unless you use it a lot, then you'll want to pay to upgrade your account)

Then you need to learn to get a link to an image. NOT a link to a page that includes an image, but a link to JUST the image. You can either do that manually (which might take a little more expertise than you have), or use a service that has good "share" functionality. This is an image link: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6040/6...ebdbb187_z.jpg (if I were to wrap IMG tags around it, it would display here as an image instead of a link)

In Flickr, If you click the "share" button on an image, there is an option for BBCode. Copy and paste that into a message and you get something like the below. It creates the IMG tag for you with an appropriate link to an actual image, and pulls title and other info from the image info in the gallery and links to both the gallery and to your profile. As you can see, Flickr does it well. If you can find the same functionality in Snapfish (or other services), more power to you. But, if you can't find it there and you want something that's known to work very easily... try Flickr.

Fred w/ Gold Wheels by loren.williams, on Flickr

THAT'S AWESOME, CHEN FooSchnickens's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Snapfish is not an image hosting service, but rather a printing service.

You'll need to upload your photos to an actual imagehost like photobucket, flickr, etc.

Photobucket is the best option right now as it is free, has a very large file limit and image size as well (1024x768 with the free account).

Flickr is really nice if you take nice photos and want to network with other photogs and is a bit more professional looking than most other hosts. Their premium service is well worth it, I've been using it for several years now.
    f00tography
    Chean Chay: they dont have pho in mexico
    In our minds. In our reality. In our world we are QUEEN DUCHESS TEAPOT HABERDASHERY!! RULER OF ALL!! PARTY OF ONE!!!
    http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...9616511700.png

Drives
    White 94
    Thanks Given
    THANKS!!!! I'm pulling out of Snapfish in a... snap. Hello Photobucket. Will get this pulled off today! Happy New Year, mazda-boys & girls.

Here goes:

I am so there. Snapfish made my life hell for years... for no reason. Appreciate the advice.
    Last edited by Callasports; 01-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    Most excellent! Glad we could help.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barrym's Avatar
    Thanks Given

Image posting difficulties

I need a step by step for dummies on how to post a decent sized image and not just a thumbnail.
    Im not the only one with this problem.

Ive got lucky sometimes and been able to do it. Ive spent hours trying to use this image posting system.
    I didnt care for clubroadsters system but this one seems way harder to me.
    Clubroadster and other sites you can just insert the link and it installs the image. Usually consistently.
    This system drives me crazy. Or crazier.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Barrym

EXAMPLES BELOW:

This was from my albums. I opened up a new page so I could see my album and clicked the BB code and pasteing into the post.

Why cant an option be "computer, URL, album"? So I wont have to open up a separate link just to copy a code from a picture in my own album. Clubroadster was the same problem.

user2290_pic1025_1267328984.jpg This was from clicking the image button, computer, select file, upload file. All I got was a thumbnail.

I clicked on images button, URL, inserted http://mazdaroadster.net/attachment....0&d=1326081606 from my own album and got
    ERROR INVALID FILE

trapmodnose.jpg This was from clicking the image button, URL, inserted direct image code from PHOTOBUCKET
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...rapmodnose.jpg

What the hell is going on? What am I doing wrong? This is driving me crazy.

I dont have a clue why this attached thumbnail is below here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! phrenetiK's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    why would anyone attach a file with any other option than [ img] [/ img] ??so easy and you get the best picture

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! shane's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE
    Thanks Given
    ^^ this, but a proper shortcut instead of a pop up window where your size is limited needs to happen

Banned
    Drives
    Classic Red 1989
    Thanks Given
    You're talking about the difference between "attachments" and "linked images". Attachments (images or files that are uploaded to the message attachment system within your message) show as thumbnails. That's how the system is built. Can't re-engineer it for you.

You bring up something that I didn't even know, though. That is that you can use your member Gallery instead of an external host (like Flickr or whatever) and do a linked image that way. Cool. I don't see a way around having to open a second window, though. I maybe able to put some sort of "open my gallery" link (set to open in a new window on the editor toolbar, though. Would that help? (at least it would be a one-click solution to get you there)

I'm going to merge this thread with the sticky post about image posting. There's good new info here.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! shane's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 SE
    Thanks Given
    There simply needs to be a button similar to the wrap quote button but wraps it in IMG so i don't have to type it every time. Much like every other forum on the internet does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast