Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JDMPalace's 1996 Mazda Miata - Oh Noh You Didn’t!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afc2112 View Post
    What the heck is going on with that interior? Checkerboard floor mats, aluminum, square quilted covered gauge hood and a gloss black steering wheel...So many different materials and textures jumbled together.

Everyone's ideas will be different in the way we build up our cars, I like Sean, will pray to the modification Gods for plenty of hate.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    ^ Phat, I'm not hating. But I am curious as to why he threw all those certain parts together.

The exterior is pretty well executed and everything ties together nicely. Then you open the door...And it's like he couldn't decide what material to go with. Which is very surprising considering how cohesive the outside is.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Do you have magazines lining up to feature your car?

It looks incredible to me. Very cohesive. I mean, even those metal eyeball vents look at home, and I've NEVER seen a car where those looked "right" in. It's an amazing interior.

The only thing that looks a bit off, in my opinion only, are the red gauges and modern head unit. And those are minor details.

Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    I have a DD beater, he has an OTT show car. Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean you have to attack me. (fyi, I don't read import rags, so features don't mean much to me)

I just took a look at the first page again and I have to disagree. Is it more restrained than most show cars? Probably. But that doesn't mean make it vintage or cohesive

I consider your car to be tastefully modified and more cohesive. Oldcafe from the UK has a wonderfully vintage style interior and is a great example of a cohesive interior. A bunch of rare parts thrown together doesn't make me fap just because they're rare.

I still think all the different materials don't particularly mesh well. But YMMV.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    When did I attack you? I can't read my last post back to myself in any way that makes it sound like an attack. Sorry to offend?

One thing is for sure, it's a good car that can polarize opinions. Cars that everyone says "yeah, that's nice" rarely are worth the rubber they're rolling on.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! JDMPalace's Avatar
    Drives
    a Pitcrew Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yes the car was actually featured in September issue of Super Street.

About the interior, It has a lot my own personal touches and what I like. The Steering wheel; I fell in love with the feel and design back in 04, and pretty much I run it in every car I want to go with aftermarket steering wheel (I have it on 4 of my cars). The hood; it matches the door panels and to me it's enough to not make the car look like a tissue box. The floor mats; they were the only ones I could find at the time since the red/black were on back order to match the gauges. The head unit; I actually have a decent sound system in the car, amp inside the trunk, 8" sub between the seats, components inside the doors and rear satellite speakers right by my ears so I needed a head unit I can use my iPhone and actually sound good, don't forget this was my daily up to couple of months ago. The gauges; I wanted something a little different. I have always liked the idea of wild gauge colors in super cars so I thought why not so I had to special order the gauges from AWD.

This project started out of no where. I had no intention to build this car and all I wanted to slam her and be done. It started growing so fast I didn't even know when it got here. I actually ended up getting another back up car since this one was getting to the point I couldn't drive it or it was just not comfortable for long drives. Since the start with the slammed look, the car was out of old school category right away. So I wanted to build a car if you see it in the street you couldn't tell what you are looking at. I almost thought about shaving the door handles since they are pretty much the only quick give a ways. But I actually love the handles. All of the interior pieces to some point have been touched to blend in with the satin look of center console since it was my main piece. I had to take the chrome off the eyeballs, and get them in satin finish, I made the SS shifter and shift knob from scratch, make my panels out of stainless and go on ...

The car is to the point that either you really love it or you just going to hate it. I'm cool either way since I build every car I own to my own taste, either something I have always wanted or something I have seen on some other car and I'll try to make it better. I really liked how everything on this car came together. All the parts are from different manufactures, inside or out so I'm really happy how I was able to make them work in my own vision. Thanks again for people who made these online communities since I have to admit, without Forums this car wouldn't be here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JDMPalace For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-17-2015)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Well said JDMpalace.

Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    When did I attack you? I can't read my last post back to myself in any way that makes it sound like an attack. Sorry to offend?
    It had nothing to do with me or my car. Just the fact that I don't have magazines lining up to feature my car doesn't minimize my opinion in any way whatsoever.

The way you came out with that made it seem like you had to have a bitching car to critique any part of the car.

I never said it was a bad car. Too many people build show cars just by throwing as many rare parts into it as possible or modifying things for the sake of modifying. That's how I felt about the interior.

It's almost like the same feeling when you open up an engine bay and see 5 different colors. Maybe it works better in person. It certainly works for the owner. But I don't have to have a feature car to believe otherwise.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    The red gauges now make much more sense to me after your explanation, Sean. Very cool!

Someday, I will see this car in person. Oh yes.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I think it looks great-except for that pink thing on the windshield and the tassel.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! oldcafe's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    This miata is made by a real enthusiast, with a good seletion of rare parts, but personally I do not see a specific line
    i think that the Pit Crew conversion works only with the complete kit, with only the front end, the rears seems too imbalanceed even if you mount the GV panel, Zoom rear light or the Trap light, in fact the best PC are the democar and mitycal "creamy" japanese
    In this case the combination of the P700 with eyelids, the Trap lip,and the BBS, remember me an old Karman-Ghia coupè with the wheels and the spoiler of an old Golf MK1, too german style
    The rear end with Zerbino HT, short bumper and Trap light has something of gothic, the interior have a good potential, the Nielex console and the seats are the best bits, but the steering wheel, gear lever and the german eyeball are terrible
    I repeat, the car has many valuable pieces, and I hope that nobody is offended by my comments, I just think that with some modifications, could become one of the best Miata
    Spaghetti Garage Italian Taste

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    The only thing that irks me about this car is that the Pitcrew just looks stuck on the front. Other than that it's tits.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    You've done a great job. It's gorgeous!
    93' LE - FM II and more
    253k miles
    Smile

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Caoboy's Avatar
    Drives
    a miata
    Thanks Given

Dislikes: Wheel setup, the fact you want to turbo it. I say IRTBS or carbs for this machine.

Car is looking very nice. I remember when you first showed up to the Vacaville meet. It was crazy watching a car that low roll through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12