Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

"Detailing Devil Dog" Junkman2008's Avatar
    Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given

The Mother of All "How to Fix Your Paint for Novices" Thread!

That's right boys and girls, The Junkman has went and made paint correction so easy, a caveman could do it! In the following videos, I cover the entire process from start to finish. The first two videos are worth their weight in gold for the information alone. I don't even start working on the paint until the third video but the amount of information I cover in the first two videos is priceless. Do NOT skip through them!

If you have ever been apprehensive about using a machine to rid your paint of scratches and swirls, you will definitely not be worried after watching this video series. I break it down to a level where a 10 year old can watch these videos and start fixing paint. The supplies and equipment that I use are readily available in the USA and abroad (for the most part). If you have a serious desire to finally fix your paint and about 1 hour and 54 minutes, then this video series is totally for you. After you have watched this series, you will not believe how easy I have made this.

So sit back and get out some popcorn, kick up your feet and enjoy. The Junkman is about to burst onto your screen in a way that only the Junkman can! :thumbsup:

Here are your before and after shots, which won't make a lot of sense until you have watched the videos, especially when you see how the number "2" ended up in the paint!

BEFORE...

AFTER!

Part 1 - Hey boys and girls! Finally, a video series that takes the process of paint correction from the beginning to the end (from claying to waxing). Although I do not apply any wax at the end, I cover everything else in detail. This series is 1 hour and 54 minutes long so that should give you an idea as to how much detail I go into.

In this first video, I talk in detail about exactly what paint correction is. I also go into detail about the polishing technique you should use as well as the best product on the market that you should buy. I cover other topics too so just sit back and kick up your feet. This video is 15 minutes and 7 seconds long.

Part 2 - In this video, I go into detail about exactly what I use to remove the paint damage within this video series. I name and visually show every piece of equipment as well as all of the products necessary to do paint correction. In some cases, I even offer up a location where you can find the products that I use. I talk about why I chose to use the products that I use as well as what I don't use. If you want a list of these items, WATCH THIS VIDEO!

Part 3 - Okay, in this video I identify the damage that we are going to repair. I even go as far to create some damage just to ensure that my paint will be more jacked up than your paint. I then go into detail about claying, and what it does for your finish. Last of all, I show how to assemble the PC-7424XP so that we can start the polishing process. The video following this video will be in high definition so that you can clearly see the damage and the effectiveness of my repair.

Part 4 - Because I wanted the viewers of this video to be able to see the results of the work that I did in high detail, I uploaded this video in high definition. That took 12 hours!

In this video, I actually go into the proper technique for polishing with the PC-7424XP, showing me using the machine properly. I show the polishes that I use, the pads that each polish is used on, how to work the polisher and how much polish should be used. I also talk about the importance of not using too much polish and clogging up the pores in the pads, which makes the whole process worthless. I go into the discussion of how long to work a polish and when to stop (after a polish flashes). I show which order the polishes are used and explain why you use them in that order.

One thing that I stress in this video is the importance of a solid technique. I talk about and show the technique that I use, as well as how to ensure that you are developing a solid technique. As I say often in this video series, "Technique trumps product 365, 24/7. No matter who's polishes you decide to use, none of them will work worth a darn if your technique sucks. Technique rules!

Conclusion - I recap my process and allow you into my mindset concerning paint correction and caring for your paint.

The Junkman
    Last edited by Junkman2008; 09-21-2012 at 02:34 AM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (10-20-2013),atank (10-24-2013),blu92 (03-12-2014),fwdtamiya (09-20-2014),Grip Driver (09-21-2014),JamieH (03-12-2014),kung fu jesus (10-20-2013),Malibu Q (03-14-2014),Phatmiata (10-24-2013),Satisaii (10-23-2013),smac (03-25-2014),The Driver (10-24-2013),ueru (03-12-2014),WASABI (03-12-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Good job, JM!!!!!

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Thanks!

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given

Get your rides ready for winter!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-20-2013)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I used these techniques to restore the paint on my e30. A southern car, the paint was a sun-faded, single stage factory finish. I started with clay bar, then using a Porter Cable DA polisher, a couple of yellow, red and black pads and some compounds I got from EVdog(Evan), I restored the paint to like-new. When the previous owner saw it, he couldn't believe it was the same car. I guess I didn't realize how well it turned out because when I took it out to a local car meet and other BMW owners gave me all kinds of compliments on it too, some asking if it was a respray.

Altogether, I spent maybe 6-8 hours restoring the paint and I am ecstatic with the results. I did the same to the clearcoat on my 10ae and results were similar. The Miata took less time, too.

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I used these techniques to restore the paint on my e30. A southern car, the paint was a sun-faded, single stage factory finish. I started with clay bar, then using a Porter Cable DA polisher, a couple of yellow, red and black pads and some compounds I got from EVdog(Evan), I restored the paint to like-new. When the previous owner saw it, he couldn't believe it was the same car. I guess I didn't realize how well it turned out because when I took it out to a local car meet and other BMW owners gave me all kinds of compliments on it too, some asking if it was a respray.

Altogether, I spent maybe 6-8 hours restoring the paint and I am ecstatic with the results. I did the same to the clearcoat on my 10ae and results were similar. The Miata took less time, too.

C'mon man, I wanna see!

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    No before shots I can find at the moment, but here are the photos of the car after and since I have owned it. (8/2013)

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ariot-quot-e30

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    Junkman, thanks for all the work putting together instructional videos and posting here.

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for taking the time to watch them.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to watch them.

Junkman where you been hiding at? We missed you! we have a noob Corvette owner on here for you...... paging AgentOrange........

Thanks Given! for all your great DIY posts and write ups on here!

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    I'm always hanging around in the barn around here at times. I pop in as needed. Now this new Corvette owner sounds interesting...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! blu92's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I just bought a PC7424xp and i'm glad I came across this thread!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to blu92 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-12-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,518 Times in 4,641 Posts
    cool make sure to click on the "Thanks Given" on Junkman's first post in this thread.

Drives
    LS Powered Car
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by blu92 View Post
    I just bought a PC7424xp and i'm glad I came across this thread!
    Watch these videos MORE than once. It will do nothing but benefit you due to the amount of information in each video. Trust me, you will never retain everything if you only watch them once and your results will reflect that. ;)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Junkman2008 For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-12-2014),WASABI (03-12-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    Watch these videos MORE than once... Trust me, your results will reflect that. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast