Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516172060 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Pictures? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (pause for breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I see I still have some training to do here. Just for you I'll post one, as soon as I can find a connection cord. All that stuff disappears whenever I'm gone.

Tires came in yesterday so I dropped the wheels off this morning. Those Rivals look sweet. One of the techs at the shop saw them sitting there and said, let me guess, Mike Green? I laughed.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Here's a picture of the rings for you. It's only the two middle ones, I don't want to drop the top to get an overall picture due to four months' worth of dust buildup. Plus I think this will show the finish better than a shot farther out.

Tires didn't get mounted today, the owner wants one specific tech to do it (he has the most experience with the Hunter RoadForce machine) and he was too busy. So drooling has to wait. Balancing that out, I checked on the status of my seats to see if there was any update and they have been processed through the local USPS sorting facility. So I should have those by the weekend.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Got the wheels/tires today and they are on the car. I will be posting a picture once I take one (after the 8 is out of the garage). I love how they look.

Edit: picture time!

Today was a very good day, my seats also showed up along with the gas lid. My wife got the notice out of the mailbox, she came in and asked, What did you get from Thailand? Of course a lot of witty retorts flashed through my mind, then I considered her possible reaction to same and decided to keep my mouth shut. I'm going to do a test fit of one of the seats later provided the humidity drops.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks Given
    And this is how the seats will look:

Just sitting in there for now. I need to get some flat bar to mount the seats to the Corbeau sliders I have, and get the used factory sliders I bought in order to cut off the seat belt receiver bracket and have it welded in place.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch grueinthebox's Avatar
    Drives
    Gray '93 LE (#1148) / '10 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks Given
    Love the seats. Interested to see how they jive with an NB once reupholstered.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Bought these the other day:

Good thing is they are coming from overseas and won't get there until right after I do. One less thing for the wife to have to deal with.
    those are old skool seats dude. I was thinking about them the other day. I use to see them in the old Camaros, Mazdas and Nissan 300zx a lot.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    First up I put on the crossover tube and outlet manifold on the supercharger. That cleaned the engine bay up some more. Had the tires mounted, when I got home from that the Gorilla lugs I bought had arrived so I could put the wheels on the car. Here's how that all looked:

yo, do me a favor and send me the crossover tube. Let's work out a deal I need it for a project! thanks chief!!

Thanks Given
    Sorry but I'm selling the supercharger as a complete setup so the tube stays with it.

Didn't really do much today. I did mess with the seats a little, I tried putting the passenger seat on the driver's side to see if I gained any space with the recline knob on the inside. It was actually worse that way, so they will be installed in the normal location. Used my grinder to remove a little tab on the driver's Corbeau bracket, apparently their alignment jigs aren't the best. Replaced the quarter panel trim pieces, I didn't cut the new ones for the side strikers just yet. Oh yeah, and I drooled over the wheels some more.

Thanks Given
    Head is off the car (again) and stripped as far as I can. Valves are still in place, the spring compressor I had for motorcycles just didn't have enough room for me to get the keepers out. I could have possibly finagled a way to remove them, but assembly would be impossible so I'll let the shop do that. Calling them in the morning to find out how soon they can get to it.

Thanks Given
    Dropped the head off this morning. Found out one guy who works at this shop overhauls rotaries so I might be taking the 13B there when I get ready. He did a quick check of the head and found a little gap in between cylinders 2 and 3, so that was probably what caused the leak. It can be taken care of with milling. They said it should be ready in a couple of days.

Thanks Given
    Just got a call from the shop, they said it could use a valve job so that is moving ahead. He asked what I wanted from a performance standpoint, I told him just a basic freshening would be fine. I don't have any cams/springs etc to really maximize a proper port job, and I'm trying to stop spending money on this one.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    whatwhatwhaaaat!!

Thanks Given
    If you mean what I think you mean, don't worry. You will love the 7's build.

Head is done so I'll be picking it up in the morning. I'll have to redo my valve lash measurements as I know it will all have changed thanks to the valve job. Got a new battery for my digital calipers so I'll be able to get specific readings on everything.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    Nice. I can not wait to see some progress on that Rex.

Thanks Given
    Cylinder head is installed and torqued. Couple of times I thought I was going to break those ARP studs! Did a lot more associated with the head, more info and pictures have to wait as I'm headed out on a date.

Edit: pictures:

Here's my new reroute spacer, had some trouble getting the upper nut tight due to lack of clearance as machined.

What I did today (besides the obvious) was to measure the thickness of all valve shims, assemble the cams to the head and check valve clearance. That then allowed me to determine what shims I would need to correct lash. I ended up needing four, unfortunately I made it to the dealer a little too late for their ordering so I won't get the new shims until Monday. I had 10 clearances that were out, a couple were very tight. Cleaned up the block seating surface as well as the pistons. I couldn't find a large sanding block anywhere in town so I bought some belt sander refills and cut a piece of 1 X 4 board to allow me to use that as a sanding block. It worked pretty well.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 08-14-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516172060 ... LastLast