Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    I'm just over two weeks away from heading home, so time to bump this closer to the top where I can find it.

I bought a new top a couple of days ago. Cloth/canvas (pick your term), factory two piece style with a defrost rear window, along with a new rain rail and tension cables. It was actually $5 cheaper on eBay than from the same vendor on their site. That is supposed to be delivered next week so it will be sitting waiting on me when I get there. I won't be able to dive right into it though, the rear brakes on the Speed are squealing and the wife isn't amused. Needless to say replacing those will be the first priority.

Thanks Given
    Finally home! Had a look at the new top, it's pretty sweet (I much prefer the look of the canvas over vinyl). I've already removed the MAF, still have to put the base map back in the MS. Today I took advantage of the free shipping Moss is offering and ordered a RoadsterSport midpipe.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

WASABI (02-27-2014)

Thanks Given
    Loaded up my base map again, got her fired up and went out to lunch. Took a few miles to get the tires round again, but had fun. Dropped the top for the ride home, set a new personal record as the temp was 30 degrees. I'm still getting the gas smell under boost so I have to look another cause.

Thanks Given
    Spent last week in the UK for a work conference so nothing got done. I received the midpipe right before I left, it's a nicely made piece. Stopped by the dealer this morning and ordered a few pieces to correct some minor issues (like the battery tray, mine has been modified from some other car). I've been doing some more reading on the MS, even though I am sure I already did it I burned the wideband sensor type into the unit. After that I fired her up and went out with the computer connected to let Tuner Studio do some autotuning. When I got that done my AFRs seemed a bit better, but I still have some gas smell under boost.

Researching for my top replacement. It doesn't look like that big of a job, just time consuming. I think I'm going to do it by removing the whole thing, it should be a little easier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

WASABI (03-18-2014)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts
    The top is pretty easy, but plan on 4 or 5 hours to do it right. I found taking the frame out of the car to be the best way to install the new top. It gives you a chance to look at everything, clean everything, and put her back together the right way... having a friend there to help with putting the frame back on the car is nice to have.

Thanks Given
    Pulled the top this morning. Got the old one removed ok, although I removed one of the tension cable guides before I realized I didn't have to. That ended up screwing me up, as I put it back on, discovered I missed putting a tab in a slot so drilled out the pop rivet. For some reason the drill bit walked while I was doing that so the rivet didn't get drilled properly. When I tried cutting the head off the rivet I broke the guide. That's going to mean a trip to the dealer before I can finish the top. The fabric does look pretty nice.

I finally got the rest of the parts I had ordered to get the battery mounting in order, installed those yesterday. The proper battery tray and hold down clamp, as well as a new fiberboard piece that goes over the whole thing (the old one was missing the white plastic location piece). It's nice having it all correct.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 03-27-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks Given
    The dealer couldn't find the guide either (they had the exact same drawing I looked at) so they surmised it is part of the complete frame. So, I stuck the old one on with black silicone. Finished putting the new top on the frame and then put it back in the car. Hardest part was getting the adhesive residue off the weatherstrip channels, tried several different methods but what worked the best was wetting the stuff with acetone and then using my thumb to rub it off. Use double-sided foam tape to replace it. Getting the bolts back in the sides was a little bit of a pain, but the true PITA is getting the rear trim pieces over the rain rail. I put the center piece in (everything I read says that's the best way), so far I've gotten one nut on it. Since I'm not as flexible as I once was I'm taking a break from straining to get those damn nuts on.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Yeah those trim pieces can be a real pain!!

Thanks Given
    Tell me about it! Several hours of effort over two days has not gotten me any further. Right now I've put all the nuts on the rain rail across the back. I'm hoping it will take a set so the only thing I have to push on will be the metal piece. Time will tell.

Thanks Given
    Hi. My name is Mike, and I'm a dumbass...

Turns out, those metal retainers fit with no problem, as long as you put them in right-side up! Don't know what I was thinking, in any event they are all in. I'll torque them down after my lunch. After that all that will be left is to cut/fit the two small side straps, and then clean up all the plastic trim pieces that fit back there and put them back in. If you have never had the top off your car, you won't believe how dirty things get.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (03-31-2014),Fishbulb (06-08-2016),WASABI (03-31-2014)

Thanks Given
    And here it is, all finished and in its glory:

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-01-2014),Fishbulb (06-08-2016),Ihatecars (04-05-2014),Phatmiata (04-01-2014),tsingson (04-02-2014)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    lovely as always

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Did you happen to spray your top with a waterhose and check around the inside seal to make sure you had no leaks before putting carpet back in ? I found out I had a leak after putting on a new top a week later from a rain storm and trunk full of water. After that I removed the carpet and loosend and re torqued the nuts that were leaking and fixed my problem. I did follow the instructions on tightening order so I never found out what the problem was I just figured out a solution lol.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,162 Posts
    I always forget NBs came in that dark purple. Looks good, man.

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBMX5 View Post
    Did you happen to spray your top with a waterhose and check around the inside seal to make sure you had no leaks before putting carpet back in ? I found out I had a leak after putting on a new top a week later from a rain storm and trunk full of water. After that I removed the carpet and loosend and re torqued the nuts that were leaking and fixed my problem. I did follow the instructions on tightening order so I never found out what the problem was I just figured out a solution lol.
    No, but I'm not worried about it. I made sure the rain rail is sitting where it needs to be, and all the nuts are torqued up. If I have a leak I'll find it and fix it then.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    I always forget NBs came in that dark purple. Looks good, man.
    It's Mahogany Mica.

Just got done pulling the tranny to replace the clutch. No apparent problems with the Happy Meal (what looks like some chatter marks around 1/2 of the circumference, which is weird) besides the crappy engagement. Looks like I had some oil leaking from the tranny input shaft cover, so I'll be redoing that with the max oil resistant silicone. I'ma done for today.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

tsingson (04-02-2014),WASABI (04-01-2014)

Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920212464 ... LastLast