Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122232666 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    Checked the plug gap the other day, they were all different. Not sure how that happened, but they are now all at 0.040 (per TSE COP instructions).

Was up early this morning, finally joined the MeqaSquirt forum. Updated my TunerStudio firmware. About to dive into some wiring diagrams to figure out where I can change the ground connection for the wideband.

Swapped out the disconnected JR rear sway for the stocker. Cut down my extra thermostat housing and dropped it off at the welder to get it capped. I'll then drill a hole for the tubing that the two small hoses go to (I know, most just get rid of that but I am not). That should take care of the minor occasional leakage from that damn block-off plate I keep having. I'll post a picture of how it looks once I get it all done.

Thanks Given
    Had some time to myself tonight so swapped out the front JR sway for the MSM. It started raining before I could take her out for a spin to see how things feel now.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    What's the difference you feel between stock, msm, and Jackson racing rear sway? I wanted to install my rear JR sway bar but was told not too.

Thanks Given
    I'll start at my beginning. Bought the car with Bilstein PSS coilovers and the matched JR sways. Car handled well with only minor power-on oversteer. Next I replaced the Bilsteins with a set of FM VMaxx and various stiffening pieces. Car handled better, until I installed the MP62. Then power-on oversteer became a problem (as in, too much of a good thing). At that point I disconnected the rear sway by removing one of the end links. This helped quite a bit, although I could still get the back out in transitions (mainly on an autocross course), and if I really spun it up.

After I swapped for the stock rear sway yesterday I drove it a little. She felt a little better, not quite as loose in the rear (although it was never that bad). As I mentioned above I have not yet driven with the MSM front/stock rear, I should be able to do that today and will report back.

Installing the rear sway doesn't take that long, you could try it out and see how it works for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chiefmg For This Useful Post:

mini_fd (04-30-2014)

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for that chief.

Thanks Given
    Here's an initial view of the modified thermostat housing:

Sorry for the smaller size, Flickr apparently changed things since I was last in there and I need to figure out how to get the size I want.

Thanks Given
    The change in sway bar sizes is a success. The car feels more supple over the road surface, and while I haven't had a chance to really push things, it does feel better in the corners as well.

I finally ran a dedicated ground wire from the intake manifold ground point for the AFR and boost gauges. I didn't notice any change in the readings on the AFR but that's not saying it isn't an improvement. Looks like rain here shortly so I'll wait until tomorrow to take her out and do some tuning. I also regapped the plugs to 0.035, and relieved the base of the COPS where they were hitting on the valve cover. I did not see this before and were it not for buying another set which had this done, I would not have known of it (it was not mentioned in the instructions from TSE). If you don't do this then you will end up with some indents on either side of the plug valley on your valve cover.

Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Chief which sway bar did you feel the difference?

Thanks Given
    They all made a difference. For what I am currently running for coilovers (FM VMaxx), the MSM front and stock rear are giving the best feel. The JR front/rear combo that were on the car were too stiff for what I have. I would recommend searching around and seeing what is recommended for what you are running. I went with my present combo based on Emilio's (949Racing) recommendations in his Tecna thread. There are differing opinions on whether you should adjust your car's handling with sways or springs, but from my experience I am tending towards the set your spring rate and then chose sways based on that camp.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 05-02-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks Given
    Got the thermo housing modification done, just have to wait for the JB Weld to set up so I can install it tomorrow:

I drilled the hole to about 0.03 mm smaller than the pipe so it's a press-fit. A little JB Weld before I inserted the pipe should help keep it in one piece with no leakage. Should...

Replaced the COPs with some other ones, this is more in the way of removing a variable as regards the excess fuel I'm experiencing than due to failure. Did a little autotuning afterwards, still getting some fuel smell under boost though. My AFRs are better now so some progress is being made.

Thanks Given
    Spent about five hours of quality time this morning and got the thermo housings swapped out. Test drive shows no further leaks. I will have to source a different hose for the one going to the water pump, it's a little close to the PS belt right now.

My laptop died so I have to wait to post any pictures until I get that taken care of (using my wife's Apple POS and it's a pain).

Also printed out the tech form for my track day on Monday. It's at Mid-Ohio which is a fun track, I'm looking forward to getting out there.

Thanks Given
    Drove north this afternoon to Mid-Ohio. I did the early tech so I don't have to fight the crowd in the morning.

Thanks Given
    Track day went well, car ran great the whole day. Handling isn't where I think it should be, but I don't know why. Only had one moment, the back came around a bit on me going through the Carousel. Had another Miata behind me, he said he got it on video.

On the drive home I started seeing occasional low (rich) AFR's while cruising. It got worse the closer I got to home, so now I have to look into that. Just glad it didn't happen at the track.

For what it's worth, mileage on a supercharged Miata running rich in boost at the track is about 10 mpg.

Thanks Given
    Ordered a set of generic 550cc injectors off eBay last week. It took them four days (two business) to get them shipped so I have yet to receive them. Did receive the set of Atlantic Design interior bags I bought though, they are very nice and have a large volume. I didn't know they ever made anything other than the trunk mount bags until I saw these on eBay.

Thanks Given
    Finally got my injectors, and installed them yesterday. Managed to screw up a couple of the O-rings at the top (in the rail), first I knew of it was when I stepped into the pool of gas on the garage floor. So those came out (initially I thought maybe they were too short despite checking them before installation) and the suspect EV14s went back in. However, a couple of the O-rings on the adapters failed so I washed the garage floor again. Remember the saying when it rains, it pours? That was my day yesterday. Luckily I still had the original injectors so after measuring the new ones to ensure they were the right length, I used the original O-rings and made sure I got them in there correctly. Fired her up and she's running really well now with no sign of the AFR wackiness I had. Now I just need to locate a good facility that can rework the EV14s.

Today I picked up a a ported/reworked head from a local guy who decided to go a different route with his car. I won't be installing it until I am sure I have all the other little niggling issues resolved.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Page 16 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6910111213141516171819202122232666 ... LastLast