Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 527 Posts
    So the interior at this point was looking like this: with everything that was removed sitting on the garage floor off to one side. The wife walked out and freaked. Asked me if I was doing more than just the supercharger install. I said, well yeah! She was not amused as her perception of the work required was way out of proportion to what was actually needed.

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 2,543 Posts
    That scenery looks very familiar to me. Now's the perfect time to do some noise/vibration/heat barriers. Also, there's a screen mesh on the HVAC unit that you should cut out now that you have everything apart. Much better airflow with it gone.

Oh, and thank you much for posting everything! It makes for great reading and wow, what effort you're putting in!

Thanks Given
    Thanks for the compliments, but this is all several months in the past. I did put in some Raammat underneath the carpet before the new stuff went in. Didn't know about the screen so it's still in there.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! roy obanion's Avatar
    Drives
    Anything I can get my hands on!
    Thanks Given
    Beat me to it! So how close are we to the current state of things?

Thanks Given
    Close. Still a lot of ups and downs to go (as you may recall). I won't give any hints as I don't want to spoil the ending, such as it is at this point.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Ok, so moving ahead I had dropped off the MP62 mounting bracket and intercooler outlet pipe at a local welding shop. The bracket had two standoffs that needed welding back in place, and the outlet pipe required the bung for the IAT sensor welded on (PO had just threaded it into the pipe but I didn't want it blowing off). While I was waiting on that I pulled out the old carpet. Noticed some ringing of the metal so as I mentioned above I put Raammat along the tranny tunnel and beneath both seats for a little sound deadening. While everything was out I also ran the vacuum tubing for the MS from the intake manifold. I was going to use a tap of the top of the manifold and didn't want the tubing running across the firewall, so I located a plug on the passenger's side, put a hole in it and snaked the tubing through. Ran that along the firewall inside the cabin so it was safe and sound out of the way (would suck having a vacuum leak on that and not being able to get to it easily).

Changed the oil filter (easiest one yet!), put the lower intake manifold back on and installed the new 550cc injectors. Found out that it was better to put the injector spacers into the fuel rail before putting the rail on (they were very tight, I lubed the O-rings with a little lithium grease and gently worked them on). I had some problems with the little plastic spacers for the fuel rail hold down bolts falling off so I put a couple of dabs of blue gasket silicone on them to hold them in place.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 11-13-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: clarification

Thanks Given
    New carpet went in, I only replaced the main section and the vertical section on the bulkhead behind the seats. I'll need to get the part for the package shelf cut and sewn up (so it doesn't unravel) to fit around my roll bar.

Not a very noticeable change from before I know, but it's one of the few pictures I have to share so I'm using it!

Got the dash back in place, scuffed up the e-brake handle some during the attempt. I was able to get the dash out ok with it in place, but really I should have removed it from the start to make everything easier (as I mentioned before). Ended up doing that so I didn't ruin the wood further. Pulled the radiator out of the car. Finally, put the exhaust mani back in. I called it a day at this point as I needed to get in touch with the guy I bought the MP62 from to see if he had any info on the mounting of the intercooler. I had been trying to decipher how the various brackets went but wasn't having much luck.

Thanks Given
    Ran around collecting bits and pieces. Wideband O2 bung was now on the exhaust pipe, IAT bung on the intercooler outlet pipe, and the standoffs on the supercharger bracket. Had to source a female-male reducer in order to connect up the stainless fuel lines, all I could find was brass so that went in for now and I'll see what I can find online. It's easily accessible to change once I get a stainless one. Got a response from the previous owner about installing things, and the intercooler was now in! Turns out I was looking at the bracket completely wrong, because it was shaped like the bottom of the 'cooler I thought the 'cooler rested on it. Turns out the bracket mounts on the back side of the bumper (using the bolts that normally hold on the power steering cooler) and the 'cooler mounts to two ears that hang down. Now I just needed for him to send me pictures of how the relocation brackets for the lower radiator brackets went. I had to make another run to Ace for some more fasteners, got some longer bolts to hold the overlay pulley on but failed to notice that the holes in the pulley aren't big enough for the shoulders on the bolts. Times like that I wish I had a lathe, instead I ended up getting a die nut and threading them all the way to the head. Got the fuel system completely connected up. Alternator was installed, took me a little bit to figure out where the bracket for the wires mounted to the lower intake manifold. EGR valve and pipe were back in, and the COPs in place on the valve cover. Made a gasket for the big throttle body and got that installed on the supercharger. Finally (for now), hung the 'charger in place to see how it was going to look. I was waiting for a power steering tensioner from The Parts Group, as I need to restore that to stock and I don't have all the parts needed due to how the M45 was installed. COPs were wired in, both sets (for cylinders 1/4 and 2/3) share the power and ground wires. I cut off the stock connector plugs, then twisted those two sets of wires together and soldered them. After that they were put into butt splices and crimped, followed by the individual wires for each cylinder set. A little heat shrink tubing went over all the connections. Nice and neat. The instructions provided by Trackspeed were easy to follow. Upper intake manifold went back in place, along with the dummy throttle body. Took some time getting all the wire harness plugs connected, I couldn't find the one for the CAS initially. I also had to properly use the bracket for the plugs on the front of the engine, for some reason it wasn't done right from the M45 install (I don't think it was due to any interference issues). All of that took some time, I mainly wanted to ensure the CAS wires wouldn't snag on anything. Did a few other odds and ends, the passenger side of the engine bay was all done. Just had to wait for the power steering tensioner to arrive so I could finish up with the supercharger itself.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! roy obanion's Avatar
    Drives
    Anything I can get my hands on!
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    New carpet went in, I only replaced the main section and the vertical section on the bulkhead behind the seats. I'll need to get the part for the package shelf cut and sewn up (so it doesn't unravel) to fit around my roll bar.
    the miata interior looks huge here

Thanks Given
    Yeah it does, but somehow I think my wife would object to sitting on the floor while driving.

Our connection has been having problems that past couple of days, and since I actually have some pictures to go along with my next entry I'm going to minimize my frustration level and wait until things improve before I post more.

Thanks Given
    Bwhahahahaha!! I let you all be lulled into a false sense of security that I wasn't coming back. Surprise!!

Actually, we finally got a cargo loaded and are heading northwards. Signal has improved enough that I felt like spending an hour or so uploading some pictures and saving the addresses so I can continue.

I was sure I had some pictures of the intercooler brackets but can't find them. I'll hunt around more so I can post them. Reason for this is that while there are still some BRP kits floating around, trying to find instructions for them is nearly impossible. If I can save someone some searching that is a plus.

In any event I got the intercooler installed and it looked like this:

With this setup (maybe others as well, I don't know) on an NB you have to bend the brackets holding the A/C dryer/receiver away from the condenser in order to have the space for the intercooler. You will also end up slightly bending one of the hard refrigerant lines going to the dryer. This is a case where taking some time and doing it in small steps is the best. Kink that hardline and your A/C isn't going to work too well. Normally the dryer sits right in front of the left side of the condenser, if you look at the picture you can see how it's been moved from that position.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 11-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks Given
    My power steering pump complete with tensioner bits came in from TPG. Took off what I needed and put that together. Unfortunately the auto-tensioner was resting on the power steering pump adjuster, and I didn't see any way to move things around. A lot of fiddling around and head scratching later, I came across a picture that showed a modified piece that BRP had included with their kits. Since I didn't have that I had to improvise. So what I did was this:

What I did was source the Allen head bolt for it, then used a drill bit to provide a recess for the head to fit into. I flattened the bottom of the hole as best I could with my Dremel. Not quite as good as using a milling machine, but I thought it would work. It would have, except for having to move the supercharger around later to try and get things aligned. In this picture you can see just how tight things are around the auto tensioner assembly:

Note the tool marks on the section of pipe to the PS pump, the only thing I could use to bend it was a set of Channellocks. You could leave it as stock, but then your belt wouldn't last long. In the end I removed the PS pump tensioner and tensioned its belt to old fashioned way.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    2004 MSM #3693
    Thanks Given
    So weird seeing you post pictures... ;)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 850 Posts
    It's a welcome change

Thanks Given
    You two, move along. Nothing to see here.

How nice to see that old friends have posted in your thread, only to open it up and see they are giving you grief. What are old friends for, right?

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast