Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Midori

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power ueru's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Thanks atank!

So, some progress over the last ~3 weeks...

I installed the Works Bell QR, Daikei hub, and Prototipo:

Which actually happened tangentially while installing this RS Products Vintage gauge panel:

Which was really installed to get some relative measurements for these:

Revlimiter 1028 gauges! Adam is as amazing as people say he is; He treated these gauges like they were going on his car throughout the design. He stretched the tick marks inwards for me to accommodate the smaller windows on the panel. Really, really happy with how they came out. Thanks Adam!

Someone might have noticed that the needles are a bit different. To match the gauges and smaller windows, I dremelled them down a bit. Then completely ground off the opposite pointer to have only one 'needle' on each needle.

To look like this (actual 1028):

Here are mine (with replica level of gas lol):

A few days ago, I took off the Eunos fog lights. I'm going to leave them off for a while. I think I like the way the front looks without them better. I'll take my time refinishing the fog housings and make some covers, then see how they look...

And, a couple days ago, I started my NA6 dash swap. This leads up to today (I'm taking a break right now).

Taking off panels...

Center console, you are NEVER going back on! muahaha!

After a little cleaning... Oh, right, I'm also swapping in some good-condition loop-type carpet...

$0.80! Although, some of it is too gnarly to spend...

My helper being particularly unhelpful

Just lay it on top...

And there we go

Now, time to swap over the dash wiring and throw it in. I'm going to get this finished in the next 4 or 5 hours. Hopefully. Because the new college semester starts tomorrow lol.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    DAMN! That cluster is stupid fly! Seriously... pretty amazing stuff.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Thanks man! It seems like I'm driving quicker now just to see the needle sweep across lol. Adam does amazing work.

Okay, sort of finished tonight. Dash is in, but radio/cubby are not. Neither is the glove box. Nor the passenger seat. But, I can drive it, so it's done for now.

Busy working, so I didn't take many pics.

I stapled these white guides back onto the carpet. It seems like these are always torn off.

And, the last shot. It was getting dark quick, so this is as good as it gets. I tried running in and putting the shift knob on, but when I came back out, it was pitch black.

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Picked up a box from the post office a week or so ago.

Not perfect condition, but still fine. Any suggestions on how to get dirt stains out without damaging the mats? I've used a bit of carpet/upholstery cleaner, but it mostly just made them softer.

Today, I'm going to reinforce and repaint the HVAC console panel and try to finish off my gauge needles (they still leak a bit of light out of the dremmelled side). If the weather clears up, I might give her a wash and wax too.

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ueru View Post
    Picked up a box from the post office a week or so ago.
    Not perfect condition, but still fine. Any suggestions on how to get dirt stains out without damaging the mats? I've used a bit of carpet/upholstery cleaner, but it mostly just made them softer.

Today, I'm going to reinforce and repaint the HVAC console panel and try to finish off my gauge needles (they still leak a bit of light out of the dremmelled side). If the weather clears up, I might give her a wash and wax too.
    A big scoop of Oxy-Clean and a cap full of Tide. I'd let them soak in that solution for at least an hour, maybe longer. Here's my mat restoration thread for reference: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ll=1#post89127

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dandy For This Useful Post:

WASABI (09-29-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone speedypenguin's Avatar
    Drives
    '94 Black
    Thanks Given
    An alternative to what Dandy suggested is those "rug-cleaning" cleaners/machines you can rent from supermarkets/etc...or are they steam cleaners? I don't remember exactly what they're specificaly called...but I was made aware of this via this video:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to speedypenguin For This Useful Post:

Dandy (09-30-2013)

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys! Sweet write-up, btw. Any idea if the Oxy-clean would oxidize or damage the metal 'Roadster' plates on the mats?

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Thanks guys! Sweet write-up, btw. Any idea if the Oxy-clean would oxidize or damage the metal 'Roadster' plates on the mats?
    That's a good point. I'd search the interwebs to get a good range of opinions. If you can remove the metal and reattach, that would be ideal. Protect the metal as best you can and limit soaking time to an hour or less and you should be ok. Don't trust me though. Search and get some more advice. I know the metal pieces are an important part of your mats and you wouldn't want them to get damaged.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Any suggestions on how to get dirt stains out without damaging the mats? I've used a bit of carpet/upholstery cleaner, but it mostly just made them softer.
    pour some liquid detergent (I use arm&hammer brand) on the stains and then use a nail scrub brush with medium force on the stains in straight stokes, NOT circles, and too heavy a hand will cause the brush strokes to be permanent. Let them sit about an hour and then wash them in a washing machine, together or as a single, then pop'em in the dryer. A BIG FYI - No matter how much you have vacuumed them, THEY WILL LEAVE JDM DIRT IN YOUR DRYER, which can be a pita to clean out.
    If you have the white fuzz sticking out on the black trim edges, use a black sharpie on the white fuzz. Makes the mats look much better, after they have been washed. If you are super anal with details, you can thin out some black enamel paint in a cup and re-paint the Roadster logos.

Awesome progress being made here.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vote4pedro For This Useful Post:

Dandy (10-02-2013),ueru (02-11-2014)

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    I'm going back to Harris Hill circuit this Saturday, so I decided to beef up my brake system with the 949racing stage 1 upgrade. Carbotech XP8's all around, new blank rotors, SS brake lines, Motul RBF600 fluid, and I added on a Wilwood proportioning valve to the order. Probably most excited about the brake proportioning lol.

And a Tetsuya Garage sticker lol

The only real hiccup was the rear end: the discs were sealed to the hubs with rust. The passenger-side rear broke off part and flattened the threads on two bolts, trying to use the threaded hole thing. A sledgehammer and some PB blaster made quick work of that. Otherwise, it went smoothly. Brake pressure feels just as tight as it did before, to my relief. I didn't have time to rebuild the calipers, but I'm going to try my hand at it in a few months.

I also did some repair on my HVAC panel. It's a custom job, and the bottom and top were separating. So, some reinforcements were epoxied onto the backside, then the front was bondo'd. I used some black paint I had sitting around from my fog light project, but I'll probably repaint again it when I find some time; the previous wrinkle finish is showing through and the new paint is a little too glossy.

4th coat out of 6 in.

I painted the dremmelled ends of my needles, too, to stop light leaking from them at night. It's better now than it was.

This is what it looks like right now, after painting. Still not perfect...

...but it's still barely noticeable from the passenger's view...

...and it's invisible from the driver's view.

I think I'll return to it later, after dialing in the brake bias and some other, important stuff...

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Kind of unexpected, but I bought an old Momo Start seat for $148 yesterday. The cover is torn, but the shell is fine. It's bottom mount, so onto the stock rails it goes! Until I can make some custom bracket to mount it to the floor, at least...

Needs some new upholstery...

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    Haven't updated in a while (still saving my pennies), so here are a few photos from this winter:

I'm working on getting some audio back in my car soon, as well. Just a small amp + aux input. Currently waiting on components to arrive, but hopefully it'll be done in a couple weeks.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ueru For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (12-30-2013),WASABI (12-31-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Absolutely love the photos! They look stupid great.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ihatecars For This Useful Post:

ueru (12-30-2013)

Drives
    1996 NA8C, 1998 NB8C
    Thanks Given
    So, I repainted my tombstone again a couple weeks ago.

I just finished my stereo project last night, too. Instead of a rusty hole with wires laying everywhere, now I've got an IL cubby w/ clock, a RoadsterTech blanking plate accommodating controls for the amplifier, and some Revlimiter hazard switches! I don't have the vents in yet because I want to repaint the tombstone once more... This is a nice finish, but I want to redo it to fix some spots, then apply a matte clearcoat to prevent scratches, etc.

The only input now is an auxiliary cable sitting in the cubby. No radio, no cassette, no CD... just an amp. I still need to label the knobs.

Really pleased, overall

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ueru For This Useful Post:

Ihatecars (02-09-2014),WASABI (04-17-2014)

Drives
    93 LE
    Thanks Given
    Tombstone looks really good . . . so good, that the HVAC panel is in need of a spruce up to go along with the good looking gauges as well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast