Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Flyin 92's "Modern-Classic" build thread

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Apologies for the inconsistent updates. Not much has happened the past few weeks. A box was dropped off on my doorstep earlier this week though. As always, I was excited to see what was inside.

After delicately tearing the box to pieces I found some interesting things inside.

There were many cables... that do many things. Not sure what things they do, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Some books with words and pictures. I can only assume they tell me what the cables are for.

Then, came this odd gauge.

It says "Air/Fuel Ratio", which can only mean that it does something rather specific. Damned if I know what it is. The boffins at AEM must have created it for a reason.

Last, but certainly not last was this curious little box.

It's pretty unassuming and rather light. The internet claims it replaces the stock computer and gives me the option of removing the AFM, which is always a good thing. I'm interested to see what else it can do.

Stay tuned!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    7 months since my last update. Goes to show how uneventful this build is. Oh well :dunno:

For those that are still following... I have a few new updates. A week or so ago I was looking at the car and started putting a list together of things I want to do over the coming months. Starting least expensive/time consuming and going from there.

For starters, I decided the interior needed a few things to continue to tie everything together. After all, it's all in the details, right?

Well, much to my surprise a box was sitting on the counter when I came out from my room. I figured it was for my brother since USPS said I wouldn't be expecting my package till Saturday. Low and behold, it was for me and it was from the one and only Revlimiter!! :bouncing:

I've heard stories about his new packaging and gift wrapping and needless to say was very impressed. No surprise there really.

He was kind enough to leave a "Thank You" note as well.

So, what's inside?

Yep. That's right. Swiss Miss hot chocolate and mint Musketeers. The Beetle is also pretty sweet. The hot chocolate will come in handy. It's a balmy 37* here in The People's Republic of Eugene.

Next, was a cool, little velvet drawstring bag. It's a very Crown Royal-esk purple and I figured it would go with the hot chocolate. Turns out I was way off.

It's a ring! I guess Adam liked it so much he wanted to lock it down hillyb:

After coming to sad realization that it wasn't a proposal-by-mail, I thought it had to go to something. Well, it did...

The HVAC plate. The ring fits it better than my dainty little finger anyway.

Lastly, was a bright, silver drawstring bag. I knew it could only be one thing.

A VINTAGE HORN BUTTON!!!!!

It's exactly what my Nardi needed. The metal Nardi horn button is nice, but this... this puts it to shame. It looks so much more at home in the car. I asked Adam to swap out the font for the retro "Mazda" font to match the gauges.

Before:

After:

The one, teensy, tiny gripe is that I can't use the beauty ring without taking some material of it or the horn button. Neither I care to do, but it did give me an opportunity to change out the not-so-countersunk flat head allen head screws for those cool dimple head bolts. I found them by accident in my spare flat-head screw baggie. I thought they looked pretty cool and decided to give them a try. I was not disappointed. It gives the wheel a very cool look.

Now, onto the review. I'll do the horn button now. I haven't installed the HVAC plate/ring combo because I can't find my silicone/superglue.

Build quality: A
    I read Adam's blog about these long before I bought one. I know he doesn't go halfway with anything. He made the right choice. Light and seemingly well made.

Looks: A++
    It's fantastic. It's retro. It's exactly what I was looking for. Simple, yet effective. I wanted a factory look and feel and I got it. I'm very pleased.

Fit and feel: A
    Loosen a few nuts, remove a wheel, toss on a trim ring, reattach wheel and pop in the horn button. Pretty simple stuff. Took all of 10 minutes, which included getting the lettering to look level. Pressed it a few times and the horn sounded. Something the Nardi button failed to do.

Overall: A+
    It's a great addition to any interior. And since he makes so many designs, it would be hard for anyone not to find one they like. It really does change the look of the steering wheel for the better. I loved the simplicity of the Mod 80 design and I think it fits my interior perfectly.

Another big thanks to Adam for always over delivering. Can't wait to install the HVAC panel next. I have a feeling it's going to look just as good.
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-24-2015),MiataQuest (12-15-2019)

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Some very nice additions! I wonder if this is Adam's permanent packaging or just for the holidays? Either way, classy sir!
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    I need Adam's radio panel ensemble. My chunky deck really detracts from the interior.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Part 2 of my Revlimiter box-o-goodies. Retro HVAC Plate w/ Trim Ring. It looked great in Sharka and if it looked great in that car, then it could only improve mine. That's how it's supposed to work, right?

Install is pretty easy:

1) Remove faceplate
    2) Clean with alcohol wipe
    3) Remove tape backing
    4) Apply HVAC plate.

It's hard to tell from that picture, but the HVAC panel was starting to come unglued. The edges were starting to peel away and it really started look tatty. So, I figured the plate would help secure it AND look great doing it. I had an RS Products plate many moons ago, but it wasn't all that great. It looked good during the day, but created a black hole of sorts in the dash at night. It was a solid piece that didn't let any light through save for a few pin holes at the bottom for the air direction knob (feet, defrost, cabin).

I will admit it was pretty sturdy and well made (like anything from RSP), but it never really quite looked right. Thankfully, Adam decided to make his and well... the rest is history.

Like I said earlier. Installation is pretty straight forward. A little fidgeting to get it centered, but other than that it was easy as pie.

Here it is with the trim ring just placed on it. I can't find my tube of super glue or silicone so it will have to wait. As soon as I find it I'll toss the whole thing back in the car.

Now... onto the review.

Build quality: A
    Both the plate and ring are solid. The finish on the plate seems pretty durable as well.

Looks: B
    Plate: Yes, it looks good. Yes, it covers up the peeling panel. Yes, it adds a touch of flair to the radio surround. My biggest gripe is being able to see the brush marks under the finish. Is it a big deal? No. But, I was expecting it to be a smooth finish with no visible marks. So, it's a bit of a letdown there.

Ring: It matches my tri-bevel vent rings, which is pretty sweet.

Fit and feel: A
    Simple install. Nuff said. I'm not too worried about dash fitment.

Overall: A-
    It's a neat piece. It's going to do what I need it to do. I wouldn't call it a "must have", but if you're having an issue with your panel peeling and are too lazy to re-glue it and want a bit of dress up, then yes, I would recommend it.

Final thoughts:

I'm looking forward to seeing it all buttoned up. It'll make the radio surround a bit less of an "eye-sore".

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-30-2015),MiataQuest (12-15-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Where you been miata brother?
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Last I heard, job stuff. Also, I think he got his pilot's license.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    3 years later and the "Chosen One" has returned...... with not much new going on, but Ill recap anyway.

As Bryan pointed out I did go to school to pursue a career as a pilot. While I was able to get my license, I wasn't able to finish due to the VA pulling funding. I considered taking out a loan, but at $12k for a single term, I decided against it. After that shit went waaaaayyyyyyy south. Career wise, health (physical and mental), relationship and so on. Because I was jobless, broke and in a bad way mentally, the Miata became an unfortunate victim. She sat outside for roughly two years virtually untouched and undriven for a majority of that time.

Fast forward a couple years to today, I'm currently employed full time with the VA and recently moved back into a place with a garage. Over the last 3-4 months I've been able to play catch up on a LOT of stuff I had neglected, plus make a few upgrades here and there. I'll post what pics I do have in the next couple days.

In the meantime, I'll give a brief list of things I've done (in no real order) since having her back in shape.

New battery
    Fluid change
    Koyo rad
    Replaced tail light seals in hopes of fixing the leaky trunk issue
    Removed 75% of the AC system (compressor and dash bits are next)
    Added a few dress up pieces to the interior
    Sanded letters off of the bumper lenses, tail light covers and turn signals

Current projects:
    Install new component speakers to replace the 10 year old Rockfords (up for sale soon).
    Install new radio to the the 10 year old Alpine (also up for sale soon)
    Upgrade the door cards with more better ones
    Remove the old tape around the GV tails and replace with new tape

Future projects:
    Build the spare head I have with HKS cams/gears. Mild port and polish. Coolant reroute.
    Clean up and finally install the Maxim Works header I've had lying around since I was stationed in Portugal...... 5 years ago
    Re-install soft top with new Robbins cloth top
    Install sound deadening to lessen the road noise

tl;dr

Shit hit the fan. Shit has been cleaned up. Life back on track. Miata getting TLC.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

dnaha (12-30-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (12-14-2019),MiataQuest (12-15-2019),tsingson (12-17-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Really sorry to hear about all the ups and downs, I certainly can relate. Glad to see you are doing better and looking forward to seeing updates!

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Thanks, man. Life has a funny way of hoofing you right in the bait and tackle, then helping you up and pushing you forward and on to better things.

On another note, I'll post a few pics from the lens "project", which was more out of boredom than anything.

Before
    wXFcTMzrQRmuwSRICAY7TA.jpg

After a 400 grit and 2000 grit wet sanding
    qE60%mlnT3WFEeNH7TZdTA.jpg

Final product after hand polishing
    59591280478__8508DA61-CBB1-41E4-AE44-F3FBE3EFE12D.jpg

Soooo.... they turned out ok.... just.... ok. Not bad, but could be better.

Enter the new Dremel and Meguairs plastic cleaner/polish. I used the same stuff when I hand-buffed a week earlier, but power tools make better use of it.

59754261410__92382FBA-03FA-45B2-B7FE-79D569E9FDEA.jpg

See that cloudiness? Es no bueno. I took extra care not to go overboard with the turn signals since they're hell JDM and rare as a carton of eggs.

zGbtjPSdRrqoD+TxakqDIQ.jpg

Left is un-Dremeled. Right is Dremeled. Night and day difference.

hfRKTH4VQR6hc+fWVjouiA.jpg

GV lights. Top: hand-polished. Bottom: post-Dremel.

59754881712__00116C39-9CC1-4194-A688-16C4A075A907.jpg

Not really earth shattering stuff, but it adds a nice touch. Like I said earlier, it was more a project of boredom than anything. Between the two rounds of sanding and polishing, I'd say it only took a little over an hour to do everything.

Obligatory pic of the Koyo. This was after I had just dropped it in.
    59510649431__C6F113B2-4279-4843-A122-BCC03596D19B.jpg

So, that's it for now. I might post up pics of the speaker stuff. Again, not exciting, but at least it'll keep the thread moving.
    Last edited by Flyin 92; 12-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-15-2019),MiataQuest (12-15-2019),speedypenguin (12-15-2019),tsingson (12-17-2019)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Received a flat package today

fullsizeoutput_438.jpeg

Inside it was thin stack of flat things

F3SOznuJSSOhZ+Cs2rF0Mg.jpg

1ESVzpT7RfygT1GbEBHcIQ.jpg

ODGjXU82SxiBFfItyu5a7Q.jpg

Gt+OM4GzSt2XbiJ1oBUing.jpg

8PCk0oOWQ%uEx6JOv32Hcg.jpg

+6YiHEs7StCwCeP7GpMryg.jpg

The J2-Limited door panels I bought a few years ago are in desperate need of a refinishing. Or at least the backing is. I opted to add the foam and vinyl and just replace them all together. This solves a few things I've been wanting to address:

1) The warped, water-logged fiberboard will be replaced with 1/8" ABS plastic.
    2) I never really cared for the door pocket.
    3) The lack of a door pocket will add a much cleaner look.

With that comes a couple new issues that will need addressed:
    1) The speaker panels didn't have a backing, thus won't be a direct transfer. The new panel has provisions to mount them, but without the factory backing or they won't mount properly.
    2) The spacers near the speakers will need to be drilled out and transferred over (riveted to the old panel).

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of all the pieces. Should look great when they're all put together. The extra triangle bit was a "gift" and replaces the jack cover bit in the trunk. If anyone is interested, PM Primer3D on Etsy. Really nice guy and provides excellent customer service. Shipping was quick and easy too.

PS

If anyone has the upper door pads in good shape and with non-broken mounting posts/pegs (not sure what they're called) let me know. The ones I currently have were held on with like two of the posts/pegs.

I'll be selling the old door pieces after the new bits are installed, sans speaker covers.
    Last edited by Flyin 92; 12-18-2019 at 07:52 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (12-17-2019),Greasemonkey2000 (12-16-2019),MaRcOp01o (12-16-2019),MiataQuest (12-17-2019),tsingson (12-17-2019)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin 92 View Post
    Thanks, man. Life has a funny way of hoofing you right in the bait and tackle, them helping you up and pushing you forward and on to better things.
    Sounds like a Sour Patch Kids commercial.

Glad to see everything is going well for you now. Definitely looking forward to your progress!

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Not much to update today. Waiting for the weekend to get started on the door panels. I'm half tempted to drop them off at a local upholstery shop and have the foam/vinyl professionally applied.

Also, I'm in the works with someone to make backing plates for the LE speaker covers. It will allow me properly mount them to the new panels and give me a place to mount the metal grilles I popped off the NA6 speaker covers I picked up yesterday.

I'm still in the hunt for the upper door pads. If anyone knows of any in good shape shoot me an PM.

Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Test fit the door cards today. Popping out the provisions for door pulls and what not was pretty easy. One of the holes for the door pull will need tidied up with a file, but otherwise went smoothly. Still need to pop out everything for the LE speaker covers and speaker hole itself and swap over the panel spacers around the speaker.

2SBrjf49T5KU4yDviI3mSg.jpg

It'll look much nicer once they're covered in the new vinyl and have all the kit installed, but for now I can live with it as is.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-21-2019),MiataQuest (12-21-2019)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910