Thread: Autofocus problems

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts

Autofocus problems

Equipment: D7000/ Nikkor 35mm 1.8
    Problem: Lens hunts back and forth, refuses to focus on anything at any distance. Autofocus works perfectly in live view though.

Now, the D7000 is a body refurbished by Nikon and purchased through Adorama a week ago. On my old D3000 body it would autofocus at specific distances but on the D7000 it refuses to autofocus at all. Of course, when it was new the 35mm worked perfectly, but it's only 14 months old, probably had less than 400 snaps on it and hasn't ever been dropped. My 18-55 is a different story, I dropped that bitch and it died. Right now I have no other lenses in my possession to see weather or not they autofocus fine...so I ordered an 11-16mm Tokina yesterday.

Should I send the 35mm in to Nikon for repairs? Has anyone done that? Would it be worth it versus the $170-200 for a new one? I've been reading stories recently of Nikon claiming shock damage (being dropped) on items that weren't and not honoring the warranty rightfully.

Record of progress (mostly for myself)
    18th: Shipped
    24th: Arrived at Nikon
    27th: In Shop- Nikon creates a Service Order Number
    8th: Bill
    9th: Shipped
    Last edited by fwdtamiya; 04-09-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    New Tokina does the same thing, D7000 boxed up and going back to Nikon

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I bought myself a Canon T1i and I still trying to figure the damn thing out. Since i new at the game, I been reading a lot of different stuff and I come across a ton of info that Nikon has a weak quality control environment. I don't know how much of it is true. But it could be that if just a rather faulty unit.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Ronpc's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1999
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    Equipment: D7000/ Nikkor 35mm 1.8
    Problem: Lens hunts back and forth, refuses to focus on anything at any distance. Autofocus works perfectly in live view though.

Now, the D7000 is a body refurbished by Nikon and purchased through Adorama a week ago. On my old D3000 body it would autofocus at specific distances but on the D7000 it refuses to autofocus at all. Of course, when it was new the 35mm worked perfectly, but it's only 14 months old, probably had less than 400 snaps on it and hasn't ever been dropped. My 18-55 is a different story, I dropped that bitch and it died. Right now I have no other lenses in my possession to see weather or not they autofocus fine...so I ordered an 11-16mm Tokina yesterday.

Should I send the 35mm in to Nikon for repairs? Has anyone done that? Would it be worth it versus the $170-200 for a new one? I've been reading stories recently of Nikon claiming shock damage (being dropped) on items that weren't and not honoring the warranty rightfully.
    By now you probably had sent the Nikon D7000 back? Curious,what focus mode was the camera set at? Page#49-53 user's manual. Maybe camera was set to auto tracking? I doubt it's the lenses.
    '99 Classic Red 12/97 #380
    Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive -Robert M. Pirsig
    (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Yup, it's sent off. I don't recall in LV, I didn't pay much attention because that was the mode that worked, not the one that was giving me problems. LV and the viewfinder use completely different methods of focusing from what I've read.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Shipper said it arrived Sunday morning, Nikon logged it and gave me an update today (Tuesday) afternoon. Service repair "B1" meaning minor parts, $0 being charged as it's very early into it's 90 day warranty and there's no shady "You dropped it." business going on. So hopefully they got the parts in stock and my camera comes back working the way it should have on day 1, you know...after going through QC

Drives
    Red 1999
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by fwdtamiya View Post
    Shipper said it arrived Sunday morning, Nikon logged it and gave me an update today (Tuesday) afternoon. Service repair "B1" meaning minor parts, $0 being charged as it's very early into it's 90 day warranty and there's no shady "You dropped it." business going on. So hopefully they got the parts in stock and my camera comes back working the way it should have on day 1, you know...after going through QC
    Good news, camera repaired @ no cost. by any chance did Nikon say what was wrong? Might be having the same problem, not sure.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Today the status finally changed from "In Shop" to "Bill." I don't know what was wrong, Nikon doesn't relay any information through their system, here are two screen caps of that.

Drives
    Red 1999
    Thanks Given
    The last line on the second image(dated 4/8/13) states that product repair is complete. Invoice has been submitted. If you haven't yet,
    give Nikon a call 1-800-645-6687 8:am -12am. Have your service order # or product serial # handy.
    After the automatic answer Press 1, then option 5 (repairs) then press option "0" to speak to support staff. They may be able
    to give additional information. On a side note I had my tracking/focusing set wrong

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    That's not all the status's my gear has been through, just a list of possible status's and their meanings Glad you got that figured out! And thanks for the number

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    unfortunately i know nothing about nikon, but for any canon user who might be reading this, it is a known fact that no body and lens combo works perfectly out of the box. There is a level of tolerance built into the autofocusing system. When you buy a new lens, you have to tune it to your body. I am shooting with a 5D MKII which has the micro focus adjustment so its much easier to tune. Once youve tuned the lens to the body, it saves a profile of that lens so that next time the lens is attached to the body, it will autofocus nearly flawlessly. hope this helps.
    Here's an article that explains the process better: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/p...ment-Tips.aspx

Im sure Nikon's got something similar.

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Guess the forum got reset all the way back to the 10th

There was resolution. Got my D7000 back and it's working smooth and fast as it should. I guess Nikon just sells a pile crap in a box some times, good thing it only cost me shipping charges and 2 weeks of my time Here's a pic of the work notes that was stuffed in my camera box on the way back, I don't know why they can't post this shit online