Thread: Drive Train Vibration

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given

Drive Train Vibration

The problem: I am getting a drive train vibration at 60 to 70+ mph. I had the Hunter Road Force balance done,an alignment ( to my specs ) and double checked tire pressures but the vibration is still there. I happened to wander into BSI ( BIG Miata Spec builder ) and asked Stu about it. He told me that there is a fairly heavy harmonic balance weight on the drive shaft behind the yoke that can separate and cause the vibration. He also said they checked with Mazda engineers in Japan because they had seen this on some of their own Spec cars and on some of their track day rentals. Mazda told him it was for "customer convenience " and only helped eliminate some inherent vibration problems to begin with. BSI then removed this weight from every car they own. They are getting my car next week as I don't have the capability to pull the yoke and do the repair myself.

I have not seen anything written about this condition so I thought I'd post this up for future reference. Stay tuned for pics and a write up. If anyone else has had experience with this please chime in.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I am ambivalent about those. You mean the Maltese cross-looking piece on the pinion flange? I know move NVH will go right to the pinion gear in the diff, which can lead to failure. What sort of bracing does your car have? Just asking if it isn't the 65mph shimmy...

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I am ambivalent about those. You mean the Maltese cross-looking piece on the pinion flange? I know move NVH will go right to the pinion gear in the diff, which can lead to failure. What sort of bracing does your car have? Just asking if it isn't the 65mph shimmy...
    The vibration is a recent thing. I put about 70k on her and she just started this about 500 miles ago. Cross bracing...just the standard for a 00 base model.

Yes,the Maltese cross looking thing is a steel weight with a rubber core that rides on the drive shaft. According to the guys at BSI these things can separate from their rubber mounting.

Idling - Listen to it purr... GatorXTi's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Bass Boat Black STS 8
    Thanks Given
    Very interested in the results and any DIY input. Mine has been shaking violent at times and with a PDX next Month Im not looking forward to an earthquake simulator go down the fast bits of Daytona.
    1990 NA Base Bass Boat Black no AC/PS/Radio, TRM C1s 15x7.5 with 205/50-15 RE-11s, ES bushings diff/CAs, V8 ball joints, Plastidipped OEM Hardtop, HDHCHTDD, XSPower header, Enthuza hifo cat with racer CB, ART modded AFM, Spin-induc intake/K&N, revalved Hard-S Bilsteins 650f 7"/400r 7", OBX collars/sleeves, RB hollow FSB with blocks, no RSB, Thompson two point front brace and Mazda rear control arm brace, VLSD.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    An update. It seems that the OEM driveshaft's universal joint has gone bad. I have a new drive shaft that is balanced ( OEM shafts are not,maybe that's why they need the counter balance weight ) and has a rebuildable universal joint coming in from Miataroadster. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes.....once I get my car back.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I didn't know there was an replacement option for our drive shafts.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    I didn't know there was an replacement option for our drive shafts.
    949 and Miataroadster both sell drive shafts that ARE balanced with Spicer u joints and they're about half the price of the OEM drive shaft. I believe FM sells one as well but even though they are a GREAT company I think they are a wee bit too proud of what they sell.

Mazda doesn't balance the Miata drive shaft,

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    I've the 949 balanced/rebuildable shaft in my NB; it is noticeably smoother than the old OEM unit it replaced. Whether that's due to it being new or balanced I cannot say but suspect it's a bit of both. Either way, it's nice.